Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why in the world might I be getting such miserable MPG? How can I reset that meter to test the MPG with a fresh tank of gas?

once I have it reset I want to drive a bit lighter on the throttle and see how much of a difference that will make.
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Car Trip computer

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
74 Posts
The "Fuel Economy Meter" is reset to "--.--" or no digits when trip meters(A+B) are reset to zero, engine off. Maybe is and instrument glitch ??, or is that indication compares to actual diy calculations ?? :unsure:
I've never got worse than 55 on the indicator in mostly light traffic traffic we have here.(y)

·
Registered
571 Posts
How can I reset that meter to test the MPG with a fresh tank of gas?
Book Font Publication Material property Paper Font Material property Book Paper Paper product

12k Miles. What RPM is your engine doing at 40, 50, and 60 MPH?
Have you checked the belt lately? Just a possibility, "slippage".
Or binding brakes.
I've found the computer thingy to be uncannily accurate based on my own "fill and burp the tank", to reserve and refill back to full.
I get a consistent 16.7 miles per litre. Which google tells me is 63 US mpg. I don't treat it gentle either!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Turbo must be kicking in!

Obviously you'll get lower economy if you do a lot of stop and go traffic or high speed interstate. With mixed spirited riding the dash on mine usually indicates around 55. (Was a little higher before some of the mods, like taller screen, leg deflectors, 17gm sliders.) Spot checking in the past indicated actual was usually 2-3 mpg higher. Let us know how it goes after resetting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
View attachment 95476 View attachment 95477

12k Miles. What RPM is your engine doing at 40, 50, and 60 MPH?
Have you checked the belt lately? Just a possibility, "slippage".
Or binding brakes.
I've found the computer thingy to be uncannily accurate based on my own "fill and burp the tank", to reserve and refill back to full.
I get a consistent 16.7 miles per litre. Which google tells me is 63 US mpg. I don't treat it gentle either!
I'm pretty much doing 1K RPM every 10mph. So around 4K RMP for 40MPH, 5K RPM for 50MPH etc. In terms of brake binding, I really hope that isn't the issue...again!

Around the start of summer I paid a rather crappy motorcycle mechanic to change my front and rear tires and also to change my front brake pads. Literally a half mile after taking my bike back I noticed that the front brakes were binding. Apparently the caliper seized. I then had this same jackass rebuild both calipers and had to change the front rotor because it was warped. Long story short this guy was supposed to fix this issue of binding brakes so I hope that's not it. One thing I notice now that I'm reading you guy's posts on here is that I notice that the rims are very heavily covered in black brake dust (I noticed this before I even got the bike serviced at all)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm pretty much doing 10K RPM every 10mph. So around 4K RMP for 40MPH, 5K RMP for 50MPH etc.
(y)

Those numbers are like what mine does, but I believe that 2016 models are geared lower, with higher max revs.
So now we need some-one with a pre-2010 bike to tell us if that's normal. Sounds OK to me, tho'.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 2008 shows 67 to 69 all the time. I've been chasing fuel pump system problems for the last 2,500 miles. I test the fuel pump flow at prime every 200 miles. I've checked my mpg every 200 when I fill up the tank as well. I am actually getting 72 to 73. I have no idea how that instrument panel works at figuring your mpg. Pull your fuel line at the injector. It's under the black plastic panel you remove to get to your air filter. Put it in a clean jug, and turn your key on. The prime last a little over 2 seconds. Measure in ml how much you get. Do this a couple of times. Let me know what you get. These bikes have a well documented problem with the built in filter near the pressure regulator clogging and diminishing your fuel flow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2008 shows 67 to 69 all the time. I've been chasing fuel pump system problems for the last 2,500 miles. I test the fuel pump flow at prime every 200 miles. I've checked my mpg every 200 when I fill up the tank as well. I am actually getting 72 to 73. I have no idea how that instrument panel works at figuring your mpg. Pull your fuel line at the injector. It's under the black plastic panel you remove to get to your air filter. Put it in a clean jug, and turn your key on. The prime last a little over 2 seconds. Measure in ml how much you get. Do this a couple of times. Let me know what you get. These bikes have a well documented problem with the built in filter near the pressure regulator clogging and diminishing your fuel flow.
Abner, thanks for the info. You describe it pretty well but do you know if there are any videos of this procedure? I don't remember Mitch doing this and I've glanced at all his B400 videos. Something is definitely not right...I don't think my bike's #s are off becauae it actually feels like I have to fill up too often

·
Registered
126 Posts
Abner, thanks for the info. You describe it pretty well but do you know if there are any videos of this procedure? I don't remember Mitch doing this and I've glanced at all his B400 videos. Something is definitely not right...I don't think my bike's #s are off becauae it actually feels like I have to fill up too often
I don't know of any videos. To test the flow it is real simple. Scooter on center stand, lift the seat and remove the two push pins holding the black plastic air filter access panel in place. Remove the panel. Remove the two allen bolts holding the fuel line into the top of your engine. Have a rag. You will squirt half a thimble of fuel. Put this end into a clean bottle. I use an empty 1 qt. Lucas Fuel Treatment bottle. Turn your key on. Pour contents into a small beaker marked in ml. Do this a couple of times. With a brand new fuel pump, filter sock and new inline 10 micron wix filter, my bike squirts about 85ml at prime. Back in January my scooter wouldn't accelerate over 40 one day. I did the inline filter modification, and didn't want to stick back in a 13 year old pump with 17,000 miles so I replaced it with a $17.00 Caltric. The first Caltric pump burnt out after 800 miles. The second one burnt out after 600. I installed a Mostplus pump (supposed to have a lifetime guarantee) that was $13.00. I've been golden for the last 2,400 miles. I would add 2 oz of Redline fuel system cleaner every 200 miles when I would fill up. I did this until the whole bottle was gone.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Wow, low 70s fuel economy is pretty amazing for the 400. My Helix 250 only gets around 65 mpg, 171cc SYM gets mid 70s. Both carbureted though. Had a 650 V-strom that I could squeeze out mid 60s if I babied it, so that didn't happen very often.

Reactions: Abner Bjorn

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Wow, low 70s fuel economy is pretty amazing for the 400. My Helix 250 only gets around 65 mpg, 171cc SYM gets mid 70s. Both carbureted though. Had a 650 V-strom that I could squeeze out mid 60s if I babied it, so that didn't happen very often.
Got to use your feet once in a while like Fred Flintstone.

• Haha
Reactions: G-Dub

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Got to use your feet once in a while like Fred Flintstone.
Like when I'm moving bikes around in the driveway.....I imagine it's pretty comical to an outside observer.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
2008 AN400
Having tracked every fill-up since July 2012, mine is at 64 mpg.
high 50's to low 60's in town
about 70 mpg cruising, down to mid 60's on the slab.
I regularly record 80 mpg at 50 mph across the causeway to Mobile AL, it's flat with no traffic signals 😎

Reactions: Abner Bjorn
1 - 13 of 13 Posts