Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had ta get this one out. Dunno why, I guess it's a bit of self ingatuating bs (as usual 'eh?) - but several members were waxing nicely about their CX 500 Hondas. Nice bike for sure. Shaft drive, Honda thing, heck i think they even made a mini wing outta it at one point...

In 1984 I was stationed at NATTC Millington TN for about a year + (turned out that way because I also had to wait to go to IT school to "become" an "Instructor") as an mid-grade petty officer after going thru AVI-C7 advanced avionics school (talkabout wavelengths - cheese..) 5 days a week 8 hours a day of parabolic reflectors, PNP and NPN transitors, pathagorim theorms (sp?), bla bla... ana whooole bunch of other "stuff" that bored the hell outta me - for ~10 floppin MONTHS.

What DIDNT bore the heck outta me was our ride to school every morning. I had two squid "buddies" sharing the same townhome complex. One guy rode a '83 Honda CB750 Interceptor, and the other guy rode a late-model CX 500. The 750 used to just separate and fly. I LOVED the smell of all those combustion chambers wafting back my way (jaggoff... 8) )

Every morning turned out to be a CX500 vs a GS450 race to school, and after about 12 months it became obvious who would be changing gear in the locker room - first - second - and third.

That 6 speed GS450E would make quick work of the ol guzzi wanna be CX. Man did I just run away from him every morning. It was a groundhog day sort of a thing...or maybe a lucy picking up the football thing. That dude almost always tried to "get me." After a while, I used to let him "reel out" a lil bit and then I'd homp on it and crank him back in.

It was great great fun and we all ended up being very good friends.

justa share.

I miss that lil GS450E.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Pete, you certainly are a melancoly type, huh. You have caused me some 'flash backs' due to your mentions of USN, Lemore, and Millington. My 4 years as a paperwork mechanic included also Enterprise, Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club and home away from home Subic Bay. 3M system: when the weight of the paperwork = the weight of the airplane, the airplane will fly. Neal

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was one of the guys braggin on the CX. As far as absolute performance, I think you're right. My buddy had a 450 Nighthawk that could hand me my lunch any day of the week.

The thing about the CX was that it pulled from 1,000 RPM and had a powerband as flat as a table. The Nighthawk 450 (and probably your bike ) wanted to rev a bit to make power. Plus you even have to admit that the CX was a bigger bike being pulled along by a motor that wasn't all that much bigger.

Besides, I owned the CX for the same reason I owned the Hondamatic and currently own a Burgman..."Dare to be Different."

·
Registered
12 Posts
New

I am new to the forum, but notice that there are some shipmates in here I have shared duty stations with, to include the Big "E", and Subic Bay. Love to see that I am falling in with the "right" crowd!!

Cheers,
CTRC(SW)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts