Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Beanpole:

The situation with the Burgman is just the opposite. Our speedos read higher than we are actually going

·
Registered
220 Posts
Echo that. My speedo is 5 to 8 mph too fast. And it gets worse at "really high speeds." Such as 100mph. (I used to ride sportbikes).

I'll bet the error at the speed is 10%

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I allow for a 10% error on both of my Suzuki's. This is consistent with the findings of riders that have compared the speedometer readings to GPS units and bicycle computers. If the speed limit is 65, I'll ride at an indicated 75. I figure that is a true 67.5 mph and I'll get away with being 2.5 mph over the limit.

It is almost unheard of for car or motorcycle speedometers to read lower than actual speed. Honda just screwed up again. They have been doing that a lot lately.

·
Registered
969 Posts
pauljo said:
I allow for a 10% error on both of my Suzuki's. This is consistent with the findings of riders that have compared the speedometer readings to GPS units and bicycle computers. If the speed limit is 65, I'll ride at an indicated 75. I figure that is a true 67.5 mph and I'll get away with being 2.5 mph over the limit.

It is almost unheard of for car or motorcycle speedometers to read lower than actual speed. Honda just screwed up again. They have been doing that a lot lately.
The error on mine is right at 10% - which of course means that I have to be constantly calculating the difference in my head to keep from being overrun. It seems like a fix for that should be forthcoming, since it would be just a matter of reprogramming a chip.

Suzuki - ARE YOU LISTENING?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a theory on speedo error - better to have a speedo read over (ie, what we experience with the Burgman) than read under (a la Honda) and be zapped by the local Constabulary for speeding.

I'm guessing motorcycle/vehicle manufacturers will put up with the inaccurate speedo whinge just as long as they don't get sued for causing someone to lose their licence.

I know my Burgman's speedo reads about 10% over, but I still slow down when I see Highway Patrol.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The speedometer on my Suzuki AN650 also reads 10% high, while my Honda Refex reads 9% high, both according to my GPS readings.

In contrast, my wife's Honda CRV automobile reads 1% high and my Mazda MPV minivan is right on the money. Again based on GPS readings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts