Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago there was an interesting discussion comparing the Swing to the two Burgs. Now I grew up predominantly with Honda's, many sizes, so I knew of the Silverwing long before the Burgmans. Finding boards for some of those was easy as was finding this board. But, I've never been able to find a discussion board of this quality just for Silverwing riders. I would like some more comparison before making the decision.
But never for the Honda Silverwing! Is there one out there? One that is decent! Please.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use the forum mikeD mentioned and find it very useful. As far as I am aware this is the best ( only?) Silverwing forum out there. The 'Maxi-Muppets' UK site also has info but no dedicated section for the Swing.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Depending on your size and what you use your bike for a Silverwing might be a good choice for you . That said for me it's hands down the Burgman 650 . I would strongly suggest you test ride both before you make up your mind . When I say a test drive I mean more than a ride around the block , spend some time with both before you take the plunge .

TheReaper!

A few days ago there was an interesting discussion comparing the Swing to the two Burgs. Now I grew up predominantly with Honda's, many sizes, so I knew of the Silverwing long before the Burgmans. Finding boards for some of those was easy as was finding this board. But, I've never been able to find a discussion board of this quality just for Silverwing riders. I would like some more comparison before making the decision.
But never for the Honda Silverwing! Is there one out there? One that is decent! Please.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had a Honda Silverwing. Nothing goes wrong with them so nothing to discuss.
My Burgman has been reliable, but as you can see from the content on this forum that there are a lot of issues that need to be discussed especially if you have the B650.

Silverwings are 100,000mi scooters without worrying about the CVT, PPA, CVT "not Lifetime" belt, CVT PPBolt, etc.

When I had my Silverwing, never needed a forum because other than maintenance service -nothing to do but ride. I also have a Goldwing 1800, I never go to the forum because I just ride. Other than maintenance service, nothing to worry about.

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
N0 doubt Honda reliabiltiy is great. The Siverwings are good scooters, it just depends on what you want. I was seriously considering getting a Siverwings last year. I ride with a group where half of them were Silverwings and the other half were Burgman riders, both 400's and 650's. I kept watching the Silverwings and listening to them. each side braggs about how good their bikes are. I made a lot of observations and did some research and came up with my comparisions:
Weight:
08' Burgman 400 dry weight 487 lbs
08' Silverwing 600 dry weight 540 lbs

Carrying Capacity:
08' Burgman 400 425lbs
08' Silverwing 600 360lbs
I do a lot of two up riding. Both me and my passenger are heavy, total of 540lbs. 400 carried us well.

Brakes:
08' Burgman 400 Dual Front Disks, Single rear Disk
08' Silverwing 600 Single Front Disk, Single rear Disk
Why does the Silverwing have only one disk brake on the front, when it weighs at least 50 lbs more than the B400?

Tires:
08' Burgman 400 Front 120-80-14, Rear 150-70-13
08' Silverwing 600 Front 120-80-14, Rear 150-70-13
Why does the larger Silverwing have the same size tires as the B400?
The Burgman 650 has 15" front tire & 14" rear tire, much better.

Storage:
08' Burgman 400 underseat Storage 61L
08' Silverwing 600 underseat Storage 55L
Why does the Silverwing have less storage space?

Headlights:
08' Burgman 400 Dual Headlight
08' Silverwing 600 Single Headlight
Why does the Silverwing have only one headlight, while the B400 has two?
The Silverwing riders that I have rode with have all added all these auxillary lights on their scoots for better lighting. I figured out that they can't see good enough at night with the stock headlights. The Burgman 400 and 650 have excellent headlights that light up the road very well.

Passenger comfort:
08' Burgman 400 Floorboards
08' Silverwing 600 Foot Pegs

Gas Mileage:
08' Burgman 400 about 55 to 65 on Highway
08' Silverwing 600 about 48 something on Highway

Instrumentation:
08' Burgman 400 Has Ambient Temperature & Gas Mileage on the Display
08' Silverwing 600 does not have Ambient Temperature & Gas Mileage on the Display

My summary was that the Burgman is miles ahead of the Silverwing in almost every way. I've had a 400 and now a 650 with no regrets.
I rode the 400 tonight, still can't believe how nice it is to ride! I will hate to have to part with it.

Reactions: ducati14

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Reliable. Solid. Good scooter. Nothing goes wrong with them.

If the Silverwing was a woman that your friend wanted to set you up with, and you asked how she looks, the answer would be 'she's got a great personality.'

Reactions: ducati14

·
Registered
921 Posts
I hear you

I had a Honda Silverwing. Nothing goes wrong with them so nothing to discuss.
My Burgman has been reliable, but as you can see from the content on this forum that there are a lot of issues that need to be discussed especially if you have the B650.

Silverwings are 100,000mi scooters without worrying about the CVT, PPA, CVT "not Lifetime" belt, CVT PPBolt, etc.

When I had my Silverwing, never needed a forum because other than maintenance service -nothing to do but ride. I also have a Goldwing 1800, I never go to the forum because I just ride. Other than maintenance service, nothing to worry about.
I was a Honda man to the core. And never regretted it. Then I needed a bike NOW and was headed for the Swing, but nothing cost-effective was available. An ad showed on a Burgman 650 an hour away and it seemed like the second best solution I needed. Years before I had had a good test ride on a AN 400 and was almost seduced by the quality and comfort of seating and ride alone. But I demurred. This 650 was plenty comfortable but, coming from a perfect bike, I was shocked and scared by the way it seemed to take motion - from a standstill - like a snowmobile! On plenty of snow that might be fine but turning a right angle on a green light at an intersection on my Executive had its dramatic moments in the early stages of our relationship.

My technique improved a lot. Still, I would not pull up the edge of the Grand Canyon for a quick look and than drive it around under power.

I have no plans on giving up the Exec even though I cannot rule out Hondas in my future. On the city street the bike has "presence". But when you hit the city limits, man oh man, you fall in love with biking all over again.

And some guys are lucky enough to be in the position of not ever having to actually decide. :wink

I know that I wrote a review of the bike when I first bought it years ago and am anxious to do the archaeology in past hard disks to remind me what I said. When/if I find it I will share it here.

Reactions: R1200

·
Registered
59 Posts
Traded a 2002 Silverwing to buy a new Burgman 650 Executive.Reason being Honda didn't update the Silverwing apart from fitting ABS and updating fuel injection/economy,new ones can still be sourced in U.K. But Honda not imported any recently.I wanted a new maxi scooter and the Burgman fitted the bill,but the Silverwing was/is a good bike I think it is faster than my Burgman and felt lighter and easier to chuck around.The lights are crap on the SW and the instruments dated but it proved reliable the 6 months/6,000 miles I owned it.Still not realy used to my Burgman after only 1000 miles.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are right that board is a bite boring, much like the Gold Wings became. But then I had to loose my toys in 2010 so when Vertical Scope had it's problems I let the majority of the boards go away and found some more interesting. So now it's two motorcycle boards and three scooter boards.
This one is the best.
Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts