Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enjoyed all I can stand of the ZERO , I am sellin it. I think I want to replace it with the honda, anyone got any good/bad stuff on the dct? besides the dang scarcity in this part of the country? I am pretty sure I can get storage and pillion seat added to a 21 maybe a windscreen too, I really aint gotta worry much about the breeze messin up my pretty locks (on my chest,,, I wear a helmet on my balding dome) I am not fond of chain maintenance but nothing (except my burgie ) is perfect.

Another goodie I discovered on the Zero, the belt can not be replaced without pulling the motor, there's no room to slip the belt over the cog,. it will clear the back wheel but not the motor.

And while I'm cussin the Zero, can anyone tell me how to determine if an out of round wheel (rear) is caused by tire or rim? I took it off and checked balance and bead, nothing obvious. the wheel has a high spot . (or a whole lotta low spot) as I 'm jackin it up and spin the wheel it hits the cement in one area and rotates freely all the rest of the way around. I almost feel like if I had a worst enemy I'd give him this bike for a birthday present, (or Christmas if that's sooner)

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
If I understand the question -
If you fix the wheel axle you can arrange a pointer to sit at the rim circumference either side.
”borrowed” knitting needles and a woodwork scissor clamps have been used :)

The tyre should have a seating ridge where it meets the rim that should show The same all around

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
Mikey, I have been researching Rebel 1100's for 2 months now. Lots of YouTube Vids.
When one comes up next year I may drop the hammer on one.

Now PM me a asking price on the Zero. I'd be able to work on it as I understand elictrictythingys.
We'd need to do a UShip quote as I will NOT ride it home.

I still owe you a $100 bill, ain't forgot.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Although I love my 2017 Burgman 650 bought new in 2017 and now have over 9,000 great miles on it. it just wasn't powerful enough compared to my previous 5 motorcycles over the years. Also, the terrible suspension is bearable but that's about it.
Last Dec. I bought a brand new 2021 BMW R1250RS. It has shaft drive !, 136 HP. 105 ft/lb torque, cruise control, heated grips, ABS, Tr. control. I have about 3,000 super fast chain free miles on it. I get about 55 mpg constantly on it after 45 mile rides out in the 'country'.
Look into one. Not cheap but an excellently engineering motorcycle. BTW, still have the 650, like it too much to part
with it !!

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I understand the question -
If you fix the wheel axle you can arrange a pointer to sit at the rim circumference either side.
”borrowed” knitting needles and a woodwork scissor clamps have been used :)

The tyre should have a seating ridge where it meets the rim that should show The same all around
ok, I can jack the beast back up and do the rim pointer thing, now as to bearings and axle if I find that the outer edge of the rim is closer to the ground in one spot like the tire is. can the center of the axle be used to determine if it is the rim or the bearings or the ax,,, well won't be the axle,

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
You can put your pointer on something prominent on the rim right down near the axle too.
I think you’ll probably hear and feel it if it was anything in the bearing/axle though.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Can you get a center stand for the Rebel? That and a can of spray lube makes chain maintenance a snap.

Never tried the dct but would have no reservations buying a Honda. Shame the zero didn't work out. Always thought I wanted one until your not-so-glowing reviews.

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you get a center stand for the Rebel? That and a can of spray lube makes chain maintenance a snap.

Never tried the dct but would have no reservations buying a Honda. Shame the zero didn't work out. Always thought I wanted one until your not-so-glowing reviews.
good question, i will take that into consideration and what tools might be necessary if not.
the zero fron end is currently lifted off the ground with a rope and pulley system, the rear tire, 2 scissor jacks and a 6 foot crowbar slid thru the frame. Many many refreshin beverages needed after any maintenance on it, only thing easier than the burgy is putting air in the tires

I HAVE tried to be honest about the Zero, it's good points, no oil , filter, air filter, gas, no heat from engine, acceleration is 3.6 to 3.8 to 60 and that torque is available up to at least 70 mph, too bad I don't consider that important. Um, it's red,,,, sometimes its as quiet as the burgy,,,,,, that's all I got ,

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can put your pointer on something prominent on the rim right down near the axle too.
I think you’ll probably hear and feel it if it was anything in the bearing/axle though.
I AM feeling something, vibratey/ grindy,,,, not so sure about puttin my pointer on the rim, swmbo gits upset when I take it out in public

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
I'd lift the rear wheel off the ground and then holding a Sharpi up to the tire slowly spin it. It will highlight the high spot. Same with the rear rim, the Sharpi will leave a mark if a high spot is there.

I'd place a bet of bad tire before bad rim.

But after I had a rear wheel bearing fail at 80 MPH and the bike got wonky, I rode it home at 50 MPH bouncing somewhat and then found that the rim was wobbling out of round. Took it apart and found three of the wheel bearing rollers fell out and two were jammbed and causing the wobble. Put in a new set of bearings and all was good.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
116 Posts
I had cash on hand to buy a new 2021 NC750 DCT earlier this year, waited several months for local dealer to no avail (n)tested several used ones, DCT works real good, good Honda quality overall, hated the chain and kinda cheap looking swingarm, wish it was belt drive, more than adequate IMO. While I waited a excellent condition 2012, SW600 and later a LN 2014 B400 depleted my funds, could not be happier (y):D

·
Registered
16 Posts
You may want to hold off on the Rebel. The Honda NT1100 is confirmed for the 2022 model year. Same 1100cc motor as the Rebel and Africa Twin also available with DCT but in a sport-touring form. Honda's recent sport-touring models (VFR/ST) have had shaft drives so there's a good chance the NT1100 will too.

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
I'm thinking $17,000. Hope not

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really like the 28 inch seat height on the rebel, not far to fall when you've got it on the side stand an you try to reach down to the ground an pick up yer refreshin beverage

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
Look at all the Farkels

Reactions: airhead83

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hoooleeeeyy poooo , so many toys, I may hafta cut back on the refreshin beverage budget! and they have 2 countem 2 dealers near me I'm in luuuuv! :devilish:

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hay DaveJ,,, there is an owners manual available to read on line for the rebel, 'sgot cruise control, traction control, (that you can turn off :devilish: ) an lotsa other toys

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
Lots to like about the rebel - except the look of that exhaust dominating the side.

I think the best looking ones I’ve seen have increased the stripped down minimalist bobber look.

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
agreed, no bags or boxes for me, but a passenger seat, an a couple backrests would be good. also am thinkin bout eliminatin the foot brake an installin a left hand brake, any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts