Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any Burgman 650 owner here also ridden a Honda Pacific Coast 800? I'm curious how the two bikes stack up against each other in terms of performance, handling, comfort and storage capacity.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I test rode a PC800 for about 30 minutes. Interstate, backroads - pretty good ride. The Burgman 650 feels sportier to me in both accelleration and handling. Built-in storage was a little roomier in the PC I think. For me, fairing protection seems better on the Burgman. Bear in mind that I rode the PC800 about 8 years before the Burgmans came out. I tested it back to back with a Kawasaki Concours. Both were clean 2 year old machines, and the dealer tossed me the keys and said "have fun". I bought the Concours - the PC800 just felt too boring.

Just one guy's opinion - the PC800 does have it's fans.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Former owner

I've had 2 PC 800s. Sold the first one to a friend. A year later I decided that I'd made a mistake and tracked down another one. Both Pearl White (the best-looking one IMO), both had the Hondaline radio and passenger backrest. On the first one, I added the Honda tall windscreen which I subsequently cut down so I could look over it. On the second, I installed a Rifle fairing which was not as good as the cut down tall Honda shield. I took that one to England while I worked there and sold it to a local before I returned to the U.S. The PC 800 was/is a really neat bike and made a terrific commuter/tourer.

The Burgman is even better suited to the type of riding I do now. Better protection from the elements, better fuel mileage, no shifting, seems more stable at high speeds (but more affected by the wake from big rigs), more comfortable 2-up and, with the addition of a GIVI trunk, similar luggage capacity. Now If Suzuki would only offer an accessory audio system with intercom and upgrade suspension, the 650 would be complete.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The PC800 has always appealed to me and I never did understand why it was not more popular. But to compare it to the 650 is not really fair -After all it's still a motorcycle not a scooter and while they both ride on two wheels I am learning there is a world of difference between motorcycles & scooters .
Speaking for my self scooters are better.. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had a pc800,& after 4 years,traded it in for my present an650. the pc is a great bike,& two years ago,at age 57,i took it cross country,long island,ny to san francisco,then down the pacific coast highway to san diego,& back to ny.i rode 800 miles per day,14 hrs/day. i got there in 4 days & got home from san diego in 4 days.not one problem with the bike. the ride is more plush than the 650,more suspension travel,& the larger 17" front tire. i had a rifle 22" shield that worked great. i had an encoutner with a tornado in oaklahoma and stability was great. the built in storage trunk holds about 45 liters per side or 90 total compared to 60 on the an650. my bigest complaint was the foot pegs. after 300 miles my legs started to cramp,& by the time an 800 mile day ended,i was in serious pain, & had difficulty dismounting the bike. why did i switch? i plan to ride to the laguna seca moto gp this july. i will be 60 in april so feet forward & floorboards were important factors i learned the hard way.although the pc800 was quicker accelerating,& had more grunt,it is not as sporty. the an650 is lighter,has a lower center of gravity,quicker steering because of less rake angle, & a smaller front tire,& the tires are radial. only bias ply tires are available for the pc in original sizes.on the maintenance side,i put 36,000 miles on the pc without a hitch. no valve adjustments are ever needed thanks to hydraulic adjusters.i agonized about the decision to sell that bike for the burgman,i am happy to say i made the right decision for me,& my needs. i hope this helps your decision,they are both great rides. rich b

·
Registered
611 Posts
The PC800 had a bit more solid feeling to it at higher speeds, the AN650 is easier to handle at slower speeds (because of the smaller wheels?). The PC800 engine has more power, but the power delivery isn't as smooth. The AN650 has better weather protection, and the storage is easier to make use of.

It should really boil down to which on YOU want.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I had a '90 PC for three years and loved it. It was a nice bike. It rode better than my 650 but didn't handle as quite as well. It shifted smoothly.
As I remember, the underseat storage area may have been a little larger but not by much. I put about 15,000 miles on it (it had 8,000 on it when I bought it in '93) and never had a problem.
If I had to make a choice, I lean towards my 650 just because of it's handling and the auto transmission.
Don

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great, keep it coming guys :thumbright: The PC800's biggest attraction for me is the fact that I can get used one for nearly half the cost of a used AN650.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's what I really enjoy about this site. We all "fervently" love our Burgy's, yet no one on this site slams other makes and models. I think that is a sign of maturity on the part of the forum members. 8)

I am proud to be a member! :D

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I would add to the previous comments, the PC has a slight leaning forward riding position that bothered my hands and wrists even with HB extensions on the HBs, top heavy, RPMs need to be kept above 3,000 3,500 to get good power, bullit proof bike. Would take the 650 over a PC any day.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One website lists the following performance specs for the PC800:

Standing start:
1/4 mi: 14.48 sec. @ 89.35 mph.
0-30 mph: 1.7 sec.
0-60 mph: 5.6 sec.
Top gear roll-on:
40-60 mph: 6.5 sec.
60-80 mph: 7.8 sec.

Anyone know of similar specs for the Big Burger?

·
Registered
32 Posts
PC800 in Europe

To my knowledge, Honda never marketed the PC in Europe, but quite a lot made it to the old continent by parallel import. I always thought the PC an attractive motorcycle, but never made a ride on it.
I am surprised that the AN650 has better wheather protection.

I believe that Honda's answer to the popularity of the PC in Europe was the Pan European. It had a larger engine and less plastic, it looked more like a 'real' motorcycle. The old model with 1100 cc motor is still in use by the (military) police in the Netherlands. The current model has a 1300 cc engine and a more modern styling.

When I was in the process of buying another motorcycle after my AN400, I seriously considered the Honda Deauville. It has 650 cc engine and costs about the same as the AN650. I was dissapointed about:
  • the engine sound, just did not appeal to me
    the riding position, leaning to much on the handlebars
    the small build in storage space
    minimal protection against the elements

·
Registered
794 Posts
Partial performance specs

Twinrider said:

Standing start:
Top gear roll-on:

This is from the September 2003 Cycle World test:

0-60 MPH ... 6.8 sec.
30-0 MPH ... 38 feet
60-0 MPH ... 123 feet

I don't have access to the original review any longer but I'm sure there were more data points than I've cited above. Can anyone else fill in the remaining info?

Regards,
dan

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ya know, every time I see a PC, I do a doubletake, thinking, "Wow, look at that awesome scooter!" Had several riding buds do that too at a recent restaurant stop. They all wanted (very kindly) to make sure I saw the "really cool scooter". :D

Too bad Honda won't make that with an auto tranny--I'd buy one in a heart beat!
Bryna

·
Registered
498 Posts
Twin rider,

This is from yahoo auction, right?
The PC800 is a good bike and very underrated. However, if you can get a test ride of either the AN650 or the SW600 you’ll never look at a geared bike again for the commute.

There is also a SW600 on there for 200k JPY. This has to be a steal.
There are also a selection of AN400s for between 180k JPY and 350k JPY.

Best to go to SCS in Suidobashi or Ueno and take out their SW600 or AN650 for a days test ride. It wil cost you 9400JPY but you will have a clear understanding of the big-scooter proposition and know if it is for you or not.

http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/~scs/smc.html

One ride and you will be smitten.

Lycheed

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the feeback, Lycheed. I'm trying to borrow either a SW or AN650 for my next Metropolis review. Hopefully I'll have one for a week. The only thing really holding me back from buying a big scoot now is the worry that I'll miss the open-class power of my FZ1, which I'd have to sell to make parking space. I took an SW out for a bit of a spin yesterday. Quite fun and all, but the owner was selling it because he said he missed the power of a traditional liter-class bike.

If I could only have 4 bikes like you.... :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Twinrider said:

Standing start:
Top gear roll-on:

The Jan.'05 Motorcycle Consumer News' Performance Index shows this for the Burgman 650;
0 - 60 7.00 sec.
1/4 mile 15.19 sec. @ 84.90 mph
Top Speed 101 mph
Braking, 60 - 0 120.8 ft.

Hope this helps.
Don

·
Registered
498 Posts
Jim, never sell bikes in Japan! The resell value does not compare to their real value in ownership. If you have to get rid of it, export it and sell it abroad. That's what I did with my RVF.

Perhaps the solution is finding another bikespace somewhere nearby. I used to have individual bikespaces at 5k JPY/month a space, but moved on to a car space. It costs 30k JPY but it houses my machines and the girlfriends VTR in a covered, heated environment.

If you sell the Fazer you'll regret it. There are not many sports tourers that can match the crankshaft 140bhp FZ1 for open class power, and a PC800 may leave you more than wanting in that regard. I rarely use more than 6k rpm on the 1100 on the mountain passes, yet I ride to tthe edge of my tyres and other riders seldom come pass me. Once you get out to the mountains, you find that the SW600/AN650 package is very good indeed. Many riders jump on a TMax/SW/AN for the commute, take it touring once or twice and find that they are considerably quicker on the scooter than the conventional bike. Some just never go back to geared life once they master the art fo riding a 600cc GT scooter. That's probably why the Japanese government is now making a new license catagory - unlimited scooter.

If you are up for it, one weekend in January, we can go out to Izu or something one Saturday morning - I'll take the 650. Although I can't say that I'll let you ride it (I have seen far too many dropped bikes in these situations) I can promise to make it very hard for you to keep up :wink: simply due to the fact that the CVT makes it so easy to ride and gives you max torque all the time.

Let me know if you are up for it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the kind offer :wink: Tell you what, when I get my loaner scoot, I'll PM you to set up a day ride down to Cape Irozaki :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts