Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone owned or ridden a Honda Pacific Coast? It looks pretty comfortable. I know they are no longer made, but wouldn't mind one to tinker with. Better to mess that up than my 650! I was also wondering if anyone knows if the Pacific Coast was fuel injected?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
casek,

In 1997 my dealer had a '95 Honda Pacific Coast and a '95 Kawasaki Concours on the floor. Both were used, about 6000 miles on each, and both looked to be in great condition, price was about the same. I joined Yahoo forums for both, asked questions, and read what test reports I could find online. I went to the dealer a couple times and sat on both bikes. I became 90% sure that the PC was the machine for me. The snow finally melted (it was February in Connecticut). I bundled up and went to the dealership. He rolled both machines out, tossed me the keys, and said "have fun". (I had done business with these guys for years.)

I rode the PC first for about 30 minutes. Interstate, back roads - a good variety. It was darn cold out, and my 6'6" self wasn't getting very good protection from the PC fairing. Performance seemed to be very "car like" - acceleration wasn't all that exciting. I then rode the Concours over the same route. Fairing protection was much better for me (it did have a Rifle aftermarket windscreen). And it leaped eagerly when I twisted the throttle - much more exciting performance. I went back to the dealership and bought the Concours. The test ride simply blew away all of the logic I had assembled over the past several weeks... I made the right decision at the time - I owned that Concours for 6 years and 60,000 miles (longest I've every kept a motorcycle).

It would be interesting to have someone who rides a Burgman 650 test ride a good used PC. My guess is, that despite the 800cc engine in the PC, the Burgman 650 will feel sportier. The PC would have an advantage in ride quality (bigger wheels & better suspension) and probably in performance from 95 mph on up.

I hope you locate one & can ride it. It would be interesting to see if my guess is anywhere close to the impression you get.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Paul, I have owned PC800s. Yes, the 650 feels sportier. Compared to the 650, they are very top heavy, lean forward riding position (5'11" 30" inseam), sluggish at below 3,500 rpms, do not offer as much protection, handling ?? I - prefer the 650. I like the PC800 concept. It has lots of storage. They are bullet proof. I would not buy another one. The maxiscooters have taked over the PC800 concept.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Thanks Roy. It has been a few years since I test rode that PC800, but your comments confirm what I remember. I also think Honda could have sold more of them if they priced it lower. It was way overpriced compared to a new Kawi Concours for example. Not exactly comparing apples to apples I know, but both machines were commonly used for sport touring.

One comment I read when I was researching the Pacific Coast sticks in my mind. One motorcycle shop had a used one. The shop employees would often take it when they had an errand to run - but none of them would personally own one. Ironically, I think the machine suffered from "scooter stigma" much more than the Burgman 650 does! Of course, now scooters in general are enjoying a resurgence of popularity. Maybe it was a right machine produced at the wrong time...

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the input. I thought that the Paciifc looked nice, but may look into the Kaw. I love my 650 and hate to see the miles I am racking up, but what the heck....it is built for riding!!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
casek,

The Kawasaki Concours has its own set of little glitches - like most motorcycles. But I could cover more distance comfortably in a day on that machine that on any other motorcycle I've owned - probably why I kept it so long. Brand new, they don't cost much more than an AN650 - so you can find used ones at reasonable prices. Mine was 7 years old when I sold it and had 66,000 miles on it. It still ran as good as the day I got it. So I wouldn't be afraid of buying a high mileage one if it was properly maintained. If you get serious about it, PM me and I'll give you a list of the glitches & how to deal with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts