Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone rode one for any distance? How far and how was it?
I may be moving to Northern Wi where the twisties, gravel roads and dirt fire lanes are abundant. The cottage I'd move into is about 8 miles from town on blacktop. Lot of 35-45 mph speed limits being a tourist area.
I do like my Burgman, but I'm getting bored with it after owning it since new in 2012, and it in no way can do ANY off-road. I've owned a Yamaha WR 250-r dual sport before that was awesome, yet uncomfortable after as little as 20 miles, plus at 55 years old I think I'd hurt myself on one now. So anyway I'm thinking a Honda Monkey may be a nice little scoot for this area (maybe even keep the Burg if possible) yet wondering if anyone on here has a Monkey.
I get cold easy, and weather changes in Northern Wi quickly and sometimes drastically, so the under seat storage of my Burg is half full of rain gear, fleeces, jackets, etc, and that's going to be a problem on a Monkey.
Just looking for some feedback if anyone has one on here.

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
Have you sat on one? you may need storage space for your knees.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Unless you are a Shriner with a Red Fez or a Clown with a Red Nose I’d rethink this option.

This is an updated version of the 1970’s Honda QA50 built and sold as an entry level ride for youngsters.

You might want to look at the Honda Grom

I did ride a QA50 in the 1970s in the Fox Cities of Wisconsin but at the time I had a 1970 Honda CT70.

Reactions: Tromper

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
Rode them back in the 1970's for fun off road. Also rode one in Saigon back in late 1974 as a courier on Tan son nhut Air Base. It had a top case for documents.

Would never take one on the streets.

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
Unless you are a Shriner with a Red Fez or a Clown with a Red Nose I’d rethink this option.
I did ride a QA50 in the 1970s in the Fox Cities of Wisconsin but at the time I had a 1970 Honda CT70.

Ah Yes The ct 70, I still remember the smell of freshly sizzled thigh meat.

Reactions: ducati14 and Mike33

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've not ridden a Monkey bike. Although I did have a Monkee bike for a little while as a youth. Although... that was... uhm... totally different. But I'd say take a look at the Ruckus. It has a 49cc engine, as opposed to the Monkey's comically oversized 125cc motor. And they handle very well on the rough. Not as much power, but it is a little larger frame, which will make it a little easier to handle, I suspect.

The Grom has more power and is also pretty easily managed, but you sit a LOT higher on that one. The geometry of it is more like a street bike than a dirt bike. It's kinda like the little brother to the Nighthawk.

I do miss northern WI. I'm hoping to ride out that way this summer. Hope you get to enjoy the area!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think some of you have researched it much. It basically is a Grom and has no,problem fitting an adult. It's a 125cc 4 speed that will reach 60 mph stock.
Now, it's a toy compared to a Burgman, that's obvious, as I'd like to keep my Burg so I can come back to my hometown 130 miles south and visit. That'd be pushing it a bit on the Monkey, lol, but if it happens I can assure you I'm going to try it. : )
But to be honest, no, I haven't even sat on one, but doing research on forums and you tube videos they are suppose to be quite comfortable for a 'toy'. I'm thinking it has to be better then my 50cc Zumba was, and I've ridden that up there and back twice. As I stated earlier though, long trips are not my intent with one. It'd be more of an explorer around the lakes and tourists traps.
I do appreciate the feedback, keep it comin.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mickey marine. "Sizzled Theigh meat" I can't stop laughing at that! That's so true!
I'm sure most of us have a patch or two burnt into our legs still from bikes. I know I do.

·
Super Moderator
2,331 Posts
There's a gaggle of folks around here that ride those and groms.
They tend to do a bunch of stunting and general mayhem. Kinda spoiled one of my fav group rides but they did seem to have fun.
That particular ride is fairly long, so yeah. Adult size U.S. folks can ride 'em a bit. Looked cramped to me, but I'm more comfort oriented then they are I suspect.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I have some extra cash so early next week I think I'm going to put money down on a Monkey.
Now don't be getting all jealous now..... : )

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Cool......Post some pics of Spanking the Monkey at high speeds.

·
Super Moderator
2,331 Posts
Pity it ain't a lardy (early 650), or you could refer to that as your Chunky Monkey...:D

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
For $2195 this would be a good off road bike. 250cc's. Including Shipping.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can get a Chinese 1 tanker dual sport delivered to your door from Amazon for under $1,400.00 in less then a week that has a 4.75 review of over 100 buyers. I figure because it holds 3-1/2 gallons of gas so their 'one tank' hasn't run out yet. : )
Nah, go ahead and laugh at my Honda Monkey, I'll be having a blast on it and that's what it's all about, and when I need a highway bike, I'll jump on my Burgman because I'll still be sitting on it because you can't give them away....

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You can hardly go wrong with a Honda in my experience. And, yeah, the Burgman is certainly a poor choice for off-road or even gravel.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
That looks sweet ! I wouldn’t want the temptation of that throttle if I suffered a bad back.
Be careful and try to keep it mellow.

Reactions: Mike33

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Better than the small Ruckus. The 49cc Ruckus is exactly the same as my wife's Metropolitan without any body plastic. I was going to say my wife's naked Metropolitan but that just sounds wrong.
There used to be a Big Ruckus at 250cc I think. But the Monkey is still better.

Reactions: DarisPakar
1 - 20 of 31 Posts