Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just saw this review of the Forza 750. I was not entirely impressed by the bike. I wouldn't want a chain drive on a scooter. Just personnel preference.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,163 Posts
Nice looking bike. I think it even more blurs the line between a typical maxi-scooter and a motorcycle. The 650 Burgman already is knocking on the door of a typical motorcycle in performance and touring ability. This looks to blur it even more, There are some things I don't like from this short video. No cruise control, mirrors that look out of place and the biggie, chain drive. I would like to try the DCT set up. From what I have read Honda has that dialed in fairly well. The fifteen and seventeen inch wheels would be good. I have no interest in ever selling my Burgman but this does look like a bike to try. It is too bad there doesn't seem to be plans to bring it the US. With the added performance of a little larger engine and motorcycle like styling, it could be a winner here.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for posting up this video Uncle Fester ... a decent video review which I found to be fairly objective in its critique. For the most part, I agree with Blacktruck's comments. I would add a couple of things. I think the under seat storage is small at 22L. I guess I'm spoiled by our Silverwing and Burgman 400 cargo bays. There seems to be a lot of space above the rear wheel that could have been better utilized for a bigger cargo bay. I would also like to see a power windscreen and heated grips. Not thrilled with the heat diversion from the front straight onto the rider's legs either. Doesn't really matter though as I doubt we'll ever see it here in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,163 Posts
There are many things to like about the bike to be sure. I don't think I will ever sell my Burgman. I have became spoiled by the large underseat storage, power windshield and heated grips/seat. For all the warts of a big Burgman, they are still a pretty good package when compared to others venturing into the same market. The smallish fuel tank (13.2L) isn't a deal breaker on the Forza but it definitely detracts from the rest of the bike for those who like to ride long distances. I think it is a bike with promise but for all the technology built into it, they failed to add/change some things we accept as the norm here. Just some wild out of the box thinking here but I wish Suzuki would have added a gallon of fuel more and cruise control to our venerable Burgmans. That and 100 more CCs. Yep, I'd be a happy scooterist.

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
I don’t think it would be a Step Thru for me ... It looks to have a Mighty High Hump. I do like the tires and shocks.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
There would be a lot of hump scuffing going on with those for many of us as we drag a hoof over the plastic on the way getting situated.
Yes ... a true Hump Scuffers delight. I wouldn't worry about the smaller gas tank either ... other Honda models using the same engine/DCT setup consistently report making 65-75+ mpg which is even better than my SilverWing scooter.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,163 Posts
Yes ... a true Hump Scuffers delight. I wouldn't worry about the smaller gas tank either ... other Honda models using the same engine/DCT setup consistently report making 65-75+ mpg which is even better than my SilverWing scooter.
Yes sir. I keep pretty accurate records of my gas mileage and the big burger can average a regular 48-50 during my daily commutes. A little less when I am traveling on it as I tend to run in the left lane a lot if you know what I mean. I would definitely like to have the opportunity to try a 750 Forza. With some well placed farkles and doodads and a full set of luggage, it would be a great bike. Not sure why but the whole idea of touring on a less than liter bike really appeals to me.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
... snipped ... Not sure why but the whole idea of touring on a less than liter bike really appeals to me.
I totally agree. Like many things, consumers/manufacturers have gotten crazy with size, power ... over the top stuff etc. All you have to do is look at newer generation pickup trucks compared to those from years ago to see what I mean. And this is coming from a guy who drives a '01 F250 diesel (need it to carry a slide-in truck camper and pull our cargo trailer complete with too much camping gear and two maxi-scoots).

Before I picked up my current new-to-me '09 SWing, I seriously considered getting a Honda CTX700 with DCT & ABS. They have a 670cc displacement which, in my opinion, covers all the bases from cruising around town to weekend sojourns to serious cross country touring. I even went to the local dealer to look at a Honda NM4 Vultus based on the same design (yup ... he still has a NOS sitting on the showroom floor). It has the same drawbacks I perceived the CTX700 to have (chain driven, minimal on-board storage, not much leg protection and hump scuffer design. Some of my other concerns could have been addressed with after market farkling.

When I sat down and did my "Ben Franklin" pro/con comparison between the SWing and the CTX700, it became apparent to me my SWing was the better overall ride for me despite it's 20 year old design and tech. I think with your Big Burgy, you'd find the same thing over many of the bikes out there. Although other offerings catch my eye for a bit, it's pretty hard to beat the overall appeal and functionality of the bigger maxis ... and that includes our Burgy 400 too.

I too am a fan of the mid- sized engine, automatic scoots/MC's and see no need to go anywhere near 1,000cc + for my riding needs and pleasure.

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
While I have gone across country many times, most trips on bikes have been on 750cc. I went from Seattle to Georgia on a 1100cc Goldwing and besides the crap gas mileage it was a very pleasent trip with more than enough power even for the Continental Divide. But at 35 MPG I had to carry a full 2 gallon gas can.

I think my 'Bagger' Burgman 650 would do that trip just as well or even better but use a lot less gas.

But my days of riding all day and camping for the night is limited to if I have 110 volts at the camp site for my Cpap machine.

Reactions: Blacktruck

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,163 Posts
When I sat down and did my "Ben Franklin" pro/con comparison between the SWing and the CTX700, it became apparent to me my SWing was the better overall ride for me despite it's 20 year old design and tech. I think with your Big Burgy, you'd find the same thing over many of the bikes out there.
I too am a fan of the mid- sized engine, automatic scoots/MC's and see no need to go anywhere near 1,000cc + for my riding needs and pleasure.
Precisely.
The new Forza looks good and I would like to ride one. When compared to the latest iteration of the 650 Burgman, it isn't a terribly big improvement overall. The Burgman may be a bit dated in some things but it is a solid platform that actually works pretty well. If the big Forza ever made it to our shores, I would go for a look and ride. Short of that, I haven't seen any other maxi-scooter yet that I am interested in. One thing that did surprise me on the Honda was the chain. I haven't had a bike with a chain for decades. At this point I am pretty sure I won't have another chain driven bike for my main ride. My Triumph is a 1200 and truth be told, I can cruise at almost the pace on my Burgman. The main difference there is the fuel range. 4 gallons versus 7 gallons. Same thoughts on the size of bike needed. Somewhere less than a liter works out just fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Took a friend to view/buy a bike today. Happened to be a Honda Main Dealer, with a Honda Forza 750 demo bike.
While I was waiting for him, asked if I could examine / sit on it. Offered a test ride, which I declined. Traffic in the city was mayhem!
I did give it a good look-over tho', and must confess that I am impressed. Really nice finish.
I thought it to be a re-badged Integra, but no. On this new model I can sit feet forward. I am 6 feet tall, 31" inseam. On the Integra I had to sit "Vespa style". The seat is FIRM, but well shaped (for me). Forza 750 -1.jpg Forza 750-2.jpg Forza 750-3.jpg Forza 750-4.jpg Forza 750-5.jpg
The forks are substantial and inverted items. Yes the bike is chain final drive, but so NEARLY fully enclosed that I cannot work out why Honda didn't do that. Buy one and fit an auto-oiler like I have on the V-strom. (That gives me 25k mile chain life, at circa £90 for new chain and sprockets. 1 hour to change). Not so much storage as either of the older Burgmans. Maybe similar to new 400.
Took a few phone pics if any use to you. (Price in UK £10k).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,163 Posts
Took a friend to view/buy a bike today. Happened to be a Honda Main Dealer, with a Honda Forza 750 demo bike.
While I was waiting for him, asked if I could examine / sit on it. Offered a test ride, which I declined. Traffic in the city was mahem!
I did give it a good look-over tho', and must confess that I am impressed. Really nice finish.
View attachment 93439
The forks are substantial and inverted items. Yes the bike is chain final drive, but so NEARLY fully enclosed that I cannot work out why Honda didn't do that. Buy one and fit an auto-oiler like I have on the V-strom. (That gives me 25k mile chain life, at circa £90 for new chain and sprockets. 1 hour to change). Not so much storage as either or the older Burgmans. Maybe similar to new 400.
Took a few phone pics if any use to you. (Price in UK £10k).
Nice looking bike to be sure. You are right about the chain. Chain maintenance can be mitigated a little. I wouldn't say it is deal breaker for me but it is way down on the list of things I would have on another bike.

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
Nice looking bike to be sure. You are right about the chain. Chain maintenance can be mitigated a little. I wouldn't say it is deal breaker for me but it is way down on the list of things I would have on another bike.
Chain maintenance/replacement is not really a deal breaker for me. I do like not futtizing with them if I can help it. But with chain and sprockets you can fiddle with gear ratios to fit your style. One tooth on the front sprocket is like 3 rear teeth. If you're not dragracing in the streets most bikes will handle 1 to 2 teeth added to the front sprocket for lower RPM at cruse.

Reactions: Blacktruck

·
Registered
210 Posts
1 to 2 teeth added to the front sprocket for lower RPM at cruse
Exactly what I've done with this new chain fit! 1 tooth (15 to 16) equals 6% taller gearing. Loafs along in top.
And the speedo is now accurate as well (bonus). Checked against Garmin.

·
Registered
672 Posts
While I have gone across country many times, most trips on bikes have been on 750cc. I went from Seattle to Georgia on a 1100cc Goldwing and besides the crap gas mileage it was a very pleasent trip with more than enough power even for the Continental Divide. But at 35 MPG I had to carry a full 2 gallon gas can.

I think my 'Bagger' Burgman 650 would do that trip just as well or even better but use a lot less gas.

But my days of riding all day and camping for the night is limited to if I have 110 volts at the camp site for my Cpap machine.
Hope you are planning on adding a good battery to your upcoming trailer. Does a great job powering a Clap, as my brother can testify. Did a lot of touring with it. Jim

·
Registered
579 Posts
That thing, as was the Integra, fascinate me a lot.
Being me the kind of person that feels "pratical=beauty" i can't sort out a single valid reason for that streamlined back instead of a decent underseat trunk, but out of this i have an attraction for the new Forza.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
😁 Well seen it in the flesh yesterday and I was positively underwhelmed. Few styling issues I didn't like and the front footboard area is small plus a weird bit of fairing protrudes in the same area so it will get badly scuffed. Dash are looked sparse and boring. I was so disappointed I put a deposit on another Honda X-Adv in matt camouflage Green pick it up next month:cool:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Forza and X-ADV Compared.jpg
X-ADV and FORZA COMPARISON.jpg

I was so disappointed I put a deposit on another Honda X-Adv
For what it's worth, I prefer the Forza, Not fussed of cleaning the spoked wheels, and cannot see any more foot space on X-adv compared to Forza. But you pays your money, and takes your choice.
Enjoy!
(And I prefer my Burgman to either of them).

·
Premium Member
17,139 Posts
😁 Well seen it in the flesh yesterday and I was positively underwhelmed. Few styling issues I didn't like and the front footboard area is small plus a weird bit of fairing protrudes in the same area so it will get badly scuffed. Dash are looked sparse and boring. I was so disappointed I put a deposit on another Honda X-Adv in matt camouflage Green pick it up next month:cool:
so, can you lift it if it falls over? does it have a center stand? stoneseat , no and no, and I'm trying to trade it for a rebel 1100 dct , 27 inch seat height so the dangly bits will need a lift kit

21 - 40 of 43 Posts