Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1985 honda elite that's not starting. Cleaned carb, check for spark, and got a new battery. Also the guy I'm working for said he was riding it and then it just died at a red light. It's got 16000 miles. It cranks but doesent catch and start. The carb seemed to be getting plenty of fuel. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Check the compression--it takes just three things for a IC engine to run:

• a combustible mixture of air and fuel;
  • effective compression;
  • a spark to set it off at he proper time;
If any one is missing it wont work. Is the plug "wet" with gasoline after you crank it for a while?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the plug is wet and black

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, the plug is wet and black
Wet and black is not good. That means the cylinder is flooded and the plug fouled.

Spin it over for a minute with the plug out to dry out the cylinder. Put in a new plug ($3 max) and put in fresh gas, or at least put in some gas line antifreeze and let it sit for two hours before trying to start it again..

While you are waiting, charge your battery

Good luck

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I almost hate to offer this story. When I bought my 1986 250-Elite the man I bought it from told me three different people worked on it and couldn't get it running. I tried to start it and it wouldn't start and the plug looked bad. It was a Sunday so I couldn't get a plug for it until the next day so I figured I would just clean it up and make sure all the lights worked so if I needed anything else I could get it all at the same time. The brake/tail light was burnt out and I had one on hand so I went ahead and put it in. I tried starting it after replacing the bulb and it started right up. I never had to do any other work to the engine and never had a problem starting it again. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Those Honda Elites have pilot jets that are microscopic , and plug up very easily especially with the lousy gas we are now forced to use . Even though you say you've cleaned the carb that jet may still be plugged up . When they won't start the first thing I would do is replace the pilot jet , then go from there .

TheReaper!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts