Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with one of these bikes. I plan on using it in town (city of 75,000).

·
Registered
428 Posts
I rented 2 of them for Toots and I a couple of years ago from near the wharf in San Francisco. Even though she's just 125 lbs. and I'm 175, we had to Fred and Betty Flintstone it on the steep hills. On relatively flat pavement you should be ok for speeds below 45 or so. Reliability and self-maintenance should be Hondaesque (good). I see many University kids riding them around here.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying it would not pull a steep hill with you on it? That would not be good around here. I would not be able to get it home! Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Perhaps renting a 80cc, test riding one, or talking to someone in your area who owns one would be a good idea before you purchase. Now that I think back a bit, Toots came close but never did have hoof it. I had to pavement pedal a couple of times on the STEEP hills where a running start up to full speed was not possible.

Good luck Roy!

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Christine, top speed on level ground and up hills, braking, MPG, problems, anything you can think of that you think is helpful.

I had a Elite 150 for a while. It accelerated fine and had a top speed of 55-60mph. I wonder if the 80 would have enough power for around town errands in a hilly area. I started thinking about the 80 because of their reasonable price, availabilty, and dual hand brakes.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Lessee ...

I found the Elite 80 to be a delightful around-town ride. From my house, it's a mile or so down into the village for groceries, the post office, the bank, etc., and the Elite got me there and back in good style. I stuck to the small roads, where 30 to 40 MPH was either the actual or practical speed limit. If that's what you've got in your area, the Elite 80 would be fine, and a bunch of fun.

Top speed I achieved was about 45 MPH indicated, and I weigh about 150 lbs. That was not the maximum speed available to me; I just never asked for more, from lack of nerve. I was a pretty green rider then. Hubby (210 Lbs) pegged it and got an indicated 45 from it, maxed. On long, steep hills, expect to throw it wide open and drop to less than 30 MPH.

Braking was very good. Maintenance was a breeze -- she just didn't break if you kept her clean -- and winterizing was very simple. Basically just drain the carburetor and bring the battery indoors.

To be honest, I have no idea what I got for gas mileage. I zoomed around until the gas gauge got low, then topped up from the same gas can we use for the lawnmower. However I am sure it was very economical. A real plus to the Elite 80 is that it's a 4-cycle engine, so you don't have to mix fuel for it like you do with many smaller scooters. Just use plain ol' gasoline.

It's got small storage area up front, useful for carrying smaller and thinner items such as a insurance & registration papers, a nylon jacket or the Sunday newspaper. My Elite also had a little luggage rack to which one could bungee a small food cooler or duffle bag. Handy for shopping.

I would advise you not to believe the fiction that the Elite 80 can carry two people. Yeah, yeah, she has rear footpegs, but 2-up performance is very bad if the passenger is a bigger than a 10-year-old kid. Handling just goes to hell.

The only mechanical problem I had was that the Elite was sluggish to start if she hadn't been used for 2 weeks or more. However, I believe that could have been corrected by a mechanic, if I had bothered to take her to one. I just worked with it. It made me really appreciate the Burgman's fuel injection!

Well, I actually had one other problem: Reluctance to sell her even after I bought my 400. I developed a strong attachment to my first motorized wheels, and the darned thing was SO MUCH FUN to ride. It was hard to be practical and let her go. I miss her still.

Does this help? Don't hesitate to ask for more detail on any of this. I will gladly provide it if I can.

Cordially,
Chris

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
to paraphrase Dirty Harry....

No, not "do you feel lucky?" the other line "a man's gotta know his limitations!" As long as your just using around town for short trips - the Elite 80 is a great little ride. I'm 160 lbs and can do hills with no problems; speed max's out at about 45mph, but it's happiest at about 35. Excellent reliability, lousy storage, cheap to run and can find very good deals on used scoots. Try Craigslist. I got my B400 two weeks ago and the LW (little woman) has claimed the Honda.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I owned one for a year. Top speed as everyone else said is around 30-40 mph. The only problem with that is you have nothing in reserve to accelerate around problems or get yourself out of jams that require speed. I traded up to the 250 Helix and was like night and day. I wouldn't get anything less than the 150 for any serious around town scootering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts