Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a Honda CTX 700 at out local dealer and was wondering if anyone has ridden one that has the dual clutch transmission and how it compares to the 650.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have written some comments here and there, after a short test ride last year:

The CTX700 I took for a spin had the rear brake lever on the left handlebar, like the Burgman.

European and US legislation must be different regarding this subject.

I disliked the way the transmission "forgot" to change up again after kick-down, like a distracted, unexperienced rider.

I also disliked the complete lack of thought to protecting the rear shock absorber against the spray from the rear tire.

Honda doesn't make use of the dual clutch gearbox ability to make rapid gear changes, much unlike Volkswagens 6 and 7 speed DSG auto boxes.
On my test drive, I was almost rear-ended by the car I just overtook, because rolling the throttle back resulted in heavy engine braking, as the Honda stayed in the low passing gear instead of gearing up like the Burgman 650 does.

It was happy enough to gear down, and also to rapidly gear up from standing start.
I didn't like the hard vibrations from the engine, which feels like a big thumper.

It feels like a 450 - 500 cc bike, very small.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've looked at it at the Honda dealer but not ridden it. It looks nice but I noticed a distinct lack of storage and by the time you put all the goodies on it, it is still about the same price as the Burgman 650.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Dont go there...don't like the 700 series at all.
Honda doesn't do automatics.

The shifting version the NC700 was horrid....both kid and I agree worst bike we ever demoed - redline at 6500 and a hard rev limiter.
I've tried the VFR DCT and did not like the auto function at all....paddle shifting works fine but foot rear brake ....and never sure what the downshift was going to be if there was one and erratic is the best word. Paddle was okay.

Honda is off on the wrong tack in my view with the 700/750 series and their DCT.
( CB500x on the other hand is brilliant bike )

·
Registered
68 Posts
1800 miles and I was done, the shifting was clunky and it was too small feeling for me. Went back to smooth running 650burg, CTX DCT ABS =no storage, no good accessories (the saddlebags would not even hold bike jacket, and when you doubled up you could not put the side stand down. No center stand either. Great mpg, averaged about 63+ per gallon. 155 miles and the indicator was in the red.

Got a good deal on it to begin with and made up most all the cost when I resold it privately.

That is my thought in this bike.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
A co-worker has a CTX700N and he likes it a lot. He has it for sale but only because he decided he wants the version with the fairing instead but can't afford both. So he has to sell the current one first.

I wonder why Honda is not bringing in all of the versions. They brought in the CTX bikes and the NC700X adventure but not the NC700S naked or the NC700D scooter. My understanding is this line is where Honda is heading and these are to be the international main lineup.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just thinking, if you don't know when it's going to decide to shift, wouldn't that be dangerous on a wet road?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts