Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A neighbor just picked up a CTX by Honda. This is one sweet ride, owner is claiming 67 MPG on his daily commute on the interstate, that's better than my K05 400 I only get low 60's. He purchased the manual transmission version. Meanwhile two houses down from me another neighbor just traded in his automatic version of the CTX for a used 650 Burgman. To each his own I supose.
Check it out at:
http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ctx700.aspx?cid=main_reprise/google/LG_Motorcycle_Street/LG_CTX700/honda ctx700&mkwid=s4GYHjSQD|dc_pcrid_51392241082_pkw_honda ctx700_pmt_p

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Less money then the Burg 400 moped, pathetic!
Don't get me wrong, I love my 400, but I don't think the price is realistic at all.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Considering a auto version myself for my commuter or the nc700 but that's a bit more pricey

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
I test rode all three, the NCX700, the CTX700 and the Burgman 650.
Obviously I'm a bit biased, but overall found the CTX to be annoyingly limited in seating position, range (small tank), & storage. I liked the drive train. I could have modified the seat, and worked on the storage but the range would not have gotten better.
The NCX was very tempting, it may happen yet. I'd probably drop it an inch in height, & by the time you got the luggage on it to give it the ability to tour it was price competitive with a new 650 and more expensive than a 400.
In the end I picked up the 650 used much cheaper.
I did like the fuel economy specs and the bigger wheels on both of the hondas.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
The NC is the best buy! With Storage where the gas tank usually is. What increases the price is the accessories and installation costs. Overall, the motor and transmission are solid. Honda uses the transmission in the ATVs too. I wish that Honda would make a scooter version with more than Silverwing Storage.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I also looked at an NC700 when I was shopping, but chose the B400 for several reasons:

Did not have to buy the windshield or storage accessories.
** Found a used 400 for a good price, did not see ANY used 700's at the time. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
I wish that Honda would make a scooter version with more than Silverwing Storage.
That would be nice.

The NM4 almost got there, & is kinda neat looking, but they missed the boat by not using those side case sections as actual storage vs. what looks like more of a styling statement with lots of wasted space.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Less money then the Burg 400 moped, pathetic!
Don't get me wrong, I love my 400, but I don't think the price is realistic at all.
Ughhh... Moped!!! A moped is a motorized bicycle that can be propelled by the motor or pedals, or both.

Burgmans don't have pedals, they're not mopeds! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
...Burgmans don't have pedals, they're not mopeds! :mad:
Yup and by definition they're a motorcycle 'round, here too. That used to annoy me a bit a Kaber, but after getting annoyed & womping a few folks who usta say that on the road & realizing that they had to live with being spanked by (in their eyes) a "Moped" I decided to smile and nod then ride off on my "Moped" that can do the tonne.

It's all 'bout attitude. :toothy4:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
There is a very good chance that something like the CTX700 DCT ABS will be my next bike.
You make very sure you get a good test ride in first.

The DCT is nothing like a Burgman's CVT. While Honda made a good move turning the horrid NC700 into a cruiser style....not sure how much you will like a 6500 rpm redline.

What draws you to the series??

The Burgman 650 walks all over it in all categories except fuel mileage.

Now yeah a new Burgman costs more but there are superb deals on late model 650s around.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The Honda auto transmission is horrible. It seems like the engineers had no faith in the mechanism holding up, so they keep it from shifting as much as possible.
From standing start, it switches very fast through the gears to top gear, while you can feel each combustion from the engine, which feels and sounds like a big single.
When passing a car, it switches down fast enough, but when you turn back the throttle once you've finished passing, prepare to get run over by the car, because instead of changing to top gear like the Burgman, it stays in gear and engine brakes as hard as if you pulled the front brake, like the Burgman only does at 15 MPH.

I test rode the Integra below:

And look at this brain fart:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
What I found with the DCT on the VFR1200 was it being erratic.
Generally yes it accelerated fine but then was erratic on down shifts - never the smooth turbine like feel of the Burgman.

It was fine as a paddle shifter but as far as a functional automatic....no way.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You make very sure you get a good test ride in first.
I've never met a dealer that allowed a test ride. That said, I wouldn't buy a bike like this without one.

The DCT is nothing like a Burgman's CVT.
I'm not familiar with the Burgman's CVT....although I parked next to a Burgman 650 yesterday :)

What draws you to the series??
I like the deep red colour, and the price.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

cheaper and better and if you do ever get to ride a Burgman 650 THEN you'll know what an automatic should be like.

CB500x is a total winner.

425 PAGES of posts on a single model -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840842&page=425

Here is one set up for dual sport from the thread

Honda generally has demo days.

Or get a Burgman 650 Exec and get the grin :D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Erik dk, what's wrong with the 2nd picture?
Too bad the Honda auto trans doesn't sound real good, from having a Burgman, an auto trans is a very tempting trait.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Or get a Burgman 650 Exec and get the grin :D
The Burgman may be a very fine machine, but my personal negative experience with Suzuki will likely keep me from ever buying one of their products again.

I also don't like the product name very much. Silly, I know, but that's how I roll :)

·
Administrator
18,727 Posts
Erik dk, what's wrong with the 2nd picture?
Too bad the Honda auto trans doesn't sound real good, from having a Burgman, an auto trans is a very tempting trait.
When the wheel spins all the road crap flings in the gap, making cleaning those tight areas harder. They should have made a full fender. Click on picture to see the brain fart.
Integra 002.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts