Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have seen various ideas for holding the variator and clutch nuts, when torquing them (you do have a torque wrench, don't you :) )

I tend to look around, and use what I have handy. The red steel and plywood were scraps. The bolts are 3/8 inch diameter. I got lucky and made the bolt holes at 4-1/2 inches diameter, so this works on the clutch too.

Just insert into the fins, hold against the variator, and torque the nut. Same for the clutch.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, six bolts spaced at 60 degrees is easy to lay out. :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It is, you use a divider and "walk" the radius around the circumference of the circle. A hexagon inscribed in a circle is six equilateral triangles each with sides equal to the radius of the circle.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
cliffyk said:
It is, you use a divider and "walk" the radius around the circumference of the circle. A hexagon inscribed in a circle is six equilateral triangles each with sides equal to the radius of the circle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know anything about Geometry but you solved it so that even I can understand it. Elegant, I think is the word for it. Thanks Cliffyk. (Now where the h**l did I put my divider?)

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
what caliber bullet do you use to drill a 3/8 inch diameter hole ?

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Nice design and the price is right. It amazes me how many good tools can be made out of wood. :thumbup:

A .38 should work well to make the 3/8 dia holes. Being an old retared draftsman I use a 30 / 60 triangle to lay out the hexagon.

Mitch's You Tube Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920zM6nH ... ure=relmfu

·
Registered
85 Posts
FINALLY...ill get to use the geometry i learned in high school...the jokes on me cause back then i said " ill never use this crap" . boy was i wrong ! :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts