Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally had enough and decided I was going to change the front fork oil in my 650. I wanted to experiment with heavier oil to see how it would effect the suspension and handling. My daily commute takes me on a 12 lane highway and some sections have been washboarded due to the heavy trucks and summer heat.
Anyways upon reading my manual to see what was required to perform the task I discovered that the top plug on the fork requires a 17 mm hex head (allen key) to get at it. Suzuki list a tool number that would fit a ratchet so you could get proper torque settings. So of I head to the dealer to get me some 15w fork oil and inquire about the tool. Well they didnt have it in stock and informed me that it would cost $60.00 :shock: Thats $69.00 after taxes. I promptly said April Fools was 2 months back and you have to be kidding. Saying no thanks I left and pondered my predicament.
Driving home I stopped at an Industrial tool supply place. I had to order a 17mm hex key (long handle) which came in 24 hrs later. So for $9 I picked up my new fork tool. I bought the long one so I could Dremel off about 1 1/2" of the handle and now I not only have the hex key but also a piece I can use with a socket and still get my torque readings.
Where theres a will and a way the job can get done and being a cheapo like me it can be done for less.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
I see we all have to improvise,

I needed a 12mm Allen socket to torq to front axle, good luck finding one. I made one by taking a 1/2" allen wrench carefull grind the sides of the long end (about 3/4" back) )to fit a 12mm 6 point socket, cut off at about 2". Take a 1/2" socket insert the 1/2" side of cut off allen into the socket. Now you have a 12mm allen socket suitable for a torqe wrench.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts