Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone,
2007 Burgman 400 with 21K miles
I have 2 questions:
1. when remove exhaust for rear tire replacement found out gasket is gone and it's louder but I can live with it. Does it affect performance as far as MPG, acceleration or horsepower ?
2. Can I custom made a gasket that last longer and how ?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes, mpg will go down about 2-3 mpg as more oxygen is introduced by the muffler sensor and the efi will enrich the fuel mixture. Performance is about the same.

No you cannot make a gasket, that I know of.

Replace it with the 08 gasket. It was reengineered for 08 and is slightly longer. It will last until you take off the muffler again. It becomes brittle and needs replacement every time the muffler comes off.

The 07 gasket can't handle the back pressure and will slowly burn up, especially after a hard, sustained ride. I went through 4 until I wised up and started using the 08. No problems since.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny thing is without exhaust gasket my MPG jumped from 52 to 57 average . First time ever I saw 59 today. The computerized MPG is not accurate but why that jump. Or maybe thanks to the new tires.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I hate to say it but I did make a replacement gasket that seems to be working very well. Last year when changing a rear tire on my wife's 07 ,when I took the muffler off the "steel wool" gasket fell out in a million pieces. Now it's Saturday afternoon and a long ride was planned for Sunday. After some research on the internet and a search around the shop this is what I came up with. I took a Band type oil filter wrench from Walmart cut off the band, I think it's about 10 and a half inches long by about 1 inch wide. Clamped it around a round broomstick type dowel clamped in a vise and hammered it around until I ended up in a coil. Took about twenty minuets. Then squeezed it down and slid it into the muffler, then onto the head pipe. took a little time but it does work. Since then ,I have also made another one for my bike. this spring I just replaced the rear brake shoes in the bike and pulled the muffler and gasket is unchanged after about 5k miles so it went right back in. Properly not a job for everyone but I like to make everything I can. Don't know if this is helpful to anyone, so take for what it's worth, Free !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts