Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending 3 hours "rasslin" with the tuperware on my first oil change, I cut access holes in the plastic, plugged them with nylon 7/8" plugs.

Also cut an 1 1/2" hole under the transmission drain plug.

Next oil change will be minutes.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I didn't need to take any tupperware off my 400 to do a oil change. Sure would be nice if the 650 was as easy.

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
Contrary to what Suzuki says, you only need to remove the center hump to change the engine and trans oil. You fill the trans through the overflow hole, same as the final drive.

I NEVER removed the left leg cover to do an oil change. It wastes too much time, and at my age, I don't need that ;-)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sure would be nice if the 650 was as easy.
Only 2 items need to be removed on the '09 for oil changes all round - the engine cover (engine oil fill) and final drive case ( final gear oil).
The transmission oil can be drained and filled thru' the overflow hole using a long flex neck oil can without removing any Tupperware.

·
Registered
704 Posts
1 1/2" hole under the transmission drain? What plug are you using? Appears you are butchering where no butchering is required. Only two pieces of plastic are removed for a complete oil change, engine cover and final drive cover. There is no way you can remove the engine oil fill cover thru a 7/8" hole.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I didn't need to take any tupperware off my 400 to do a oil change. Sure would be nice if the 650 was as easy.
I don't have any problem changing the oil and filter on my 650 without removing the Tupperware.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sitt'n here trying to imagine how on earth one can make it so difficult to change oil and just remembered the fellow years ago who was cussing and bad mouthing the car manufacturer for installing such a small oil fill tube as he was using the oil fill hole cap still installed to rest his elbow to steady the the oil bottle as he attempted to pour it into the dip stick hole.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The O.P. has a 2013 model.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Same engine, trans, final. Smaller cover for the oil fill and same final drive cover. Did they cover the tranny oil level hole in Tupperware? Drain plug is still exposed on the bottom of the case or did they wrap that in Tupperware? I don't remember.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cool, you just damaged about $400 worth of plastic, it takes me less then 5 minuets to remove the left side Tupperware. I have to admit that I looked at the videos on this website twice before I did it the first time so I would know what to do.

John

·
Registered
42 Posts
I should not ask this question, but is it necessary to change any oils besides the engine oil?
JimV

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oil changes beyond the engine

I should not ask this question, but is it necessary to change any oils besides the engine oil?
JimV
Engine oil every 3500, transmission oil every other change......I also prefer to do the third member hypoid gear lube with every other engine oil change......engine oil filter every other engine oil change.......use Suzuki recommended viscosity and spec lubes.
It's a analagous to what I tell my grandson when he asks about which teeth to floss.........I tell him, "only the ones you want to keep".

TW

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5 second access to transmission oil

I pop the nylon plug off. Actually, it looks like it belongs there.

The last bolt holding the differential cover is also accessed with a nylon plug.

I can remove the cover in a few seconds. Handy for changing a tire.

I just spent $10,000 for a scooter that is now worth $7000. I don't think $400 is a concern. Besides, I'm not going to replace the Black plastic.
I didn't cut a hole in the white plastic, as there is access to the drain plug for the engine oil.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I guess maybe I had better think about changing it then.
The scooter has 50k miles on it and has never been changed.
Musta put some good stuff in at the factory.
JimV

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I guess maybe I had better think about changing it then.
The scooter has 50k miles on it and has never been changed.
Musta put some good stuff in at the factory.
JimV
I think more than one person on this forum would be interested in some pictures of the oil that comes out at 50000 miles with no oil change... Although if you had it serviced at 600 miles it won't be the factory fill, as those are supposed to be changed at the first service.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I think more than one person on this forum would be interested in some pictures of the oil that comes out at 50000 miles with no oil change... Although if you had it serviced at 600 miles it won't be the factory fill, as those are supposed to be changed at the first service.
Gearboxes in manual cars don't require oil changes, even though they have sliding parts like syncromesh couplings which are subject to wear.

At least the final transmission in the swing arm should never require an oil change.

It's good for generating revenue though, along with changing air in the tires.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gear oil changes

Gearboxes in manual cars don't require oil changes, even though they have sliding parts like syncromesh couplings which are subject to wear.

At least the final transmission in the swing arm should never require an oil change.

The Burgman transmission does not have gears, as does the manual transmission on an automobile. Automobile transmissions do require periodic lubricant replacement. VW, for instance, calls for lubricant renewal at 100K mile intervals under normal operating conditions in the transaxle, which includes the differential and transmission. The Burgman third member and spur gears also require periodic lubricant replacement, as does the third member gears on automobiles, due to the effects of temperature and shear forces on the lubricant in both.
The intervals and lubricants are determined by Suzuki engineers and are based on a long applied history, including similar loads/uses/etc., and maximum service life of the components.

TW

·
Registered
735 Posts
The thing that Suzuki calls "transmission" in the 650 is just a set of reduction gears after the clutch and before the final drive. To me the real "transmission" is the CVT but there you go.

My opinion is, the "transmission" and final drive take so little oil and they're so easy to change, why not change the oils on some kind of schedule to buy some really cheap insurance. If one day the oil looks nasty or there are lots of metal particles stuck to a magnet on a drain plug, you might be able to halt a minor disaster.

I think I counted 13 gears between the crankshaft and the rear wheel in the 650. :)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The thing that Suzuki calls "transmission" in the 650 is just a set of reduction gears after the clutch and before the final drive. To me the real "transmission" is the CVT but there you go.

My opinion is, the "transmission" and final drive take so little oil and they're so easy to change, why not change the oils on some kind of schedule to buy some really cheap insurance. If one day the oil looks nasty or there are lots of metal particles stuck to a magnet on a drain plug, you might be able to halt a minor disaster.

I think I counted 13 gears between the crankshaft and the rear wheel in the 650. :)
I long ago realized the engineers simply took all the gears they had left over from their transmission allocation and stuck them in the left swingarm to use them up. :p

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDK

The Burgman transmission does not have gears, as does the manual transmission on an automobile. Automobile transmissions do require periodic lubricant replacement. VW, for instance, calls for lubricant renewal at 100K mile intervals under normal operating conditions in the transaxle, which includes the differential and transmission. The Burgman third member and spur gears also require periodic lubricant replacement, as does the third member gears on automobiles, due to the effects of temperature and shear forces on the lubricant in both.
The intervals and lubricants are determined by Suzuki engineers and are based on a long applied history, including similar loads/uses/etc., and maximum service life of the components.

TW
Merriam-Webster defines transmission as an assembly of parts including the speed-changing gears and the propeller shaft by which the power is transmitted from an engine to a live axl
I own a Skoda car, which is VW technology, and there's no oil change prescribed for the 5-speed 02T manual gearbox, which also contains the differential.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts