Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new helmet. I can't decide between HJC CL-14 which is a full-face helmet and FG-23 which is a 3/4 with a long windscreen. Has anybody had any experience with these two?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome Maxim. Thanks for asking. I see this is your first post.

I have a CL-14. It fits nicely on my rather large head, and the strap is relatively easy to use. The ratchet-held face shield seems to snap to the closed position at speeds over 55, much to my dislike. It's vents are easy to "get to by feel" and seem to afford the ducting/airflow I need (might be different when summer comes though). Good price, spiffy helmet, matches up with my Moonpie rather nicely.

Pete

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Maxim
Are you asking which is a better helmet the HJC or the FG ?
or are you asking which style is best full face or 3/4 ?
As far as brand goes there both DOT and both good, the most important thing is fit.
As far as type, it's really up to you , full face is of course the safest, but it's also heaver, and more confining then 3/4.
For what it's worth I own both types (not those brands) and most of my riding is with a 3/4.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I own both. I bought the 3/4 first, and liked it so much that I bought the full-face as well. Sadly, however, the full-face has been nothing but miserable. I've literally had the faceplate fog up at 65 degrees in the sunshine, and without anti-fog treatment the helmet is useless in anything less than perfect conditions. On a probably-related note the ventilation is so poor that I can't detect any airflw with the vents wide open. I find myself gasping for air when riding with the faceplate closed, which is no more often than I can help.

I'd never buy another full-face from HJC, though again the 3/4 is very nice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own a CL-14 and have been very happy with it. I did buy a tinted shield to replace the clear (too bright for me, even with sunglasses underneath). I just purchased a second CL-14 for my wife. Although I originally bought the full (CL-14) and another half-helmet, I have ended up using the full CL-14 almost all of the time for safety reasons (I do a fair amount of riding, 5-6 days per week). I also think that the full helmets "look" better than a 3/4, but that's just my opinion.... :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have a CL-14 full face, two Shoei full faces, and a 3/4 helmet. I haven't been wearing the CL-14 at all. It isn't a bad helmet, but the Shoei helmets are just better, quieter and don't get buffeted by the wind as much. I wore the 3/4 just once last year. I prefer full face, and I just crack the visor open a notch when riding in hot weather.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Buy whatever helmet fits and spend the most you can afford. Don't forget that one color helmets are the best bang for the buck, fancy graphics equals fancy price.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I bought the hjc symax helmet. I like the fit alot. My only gripe is the wind noise. To much for my liking on the highway. I do like the flip up. If I'm at a stop I can open the front and get some fresh air and then close it when the light changes. I do ride sometimes with a portable cd player in my pocket and ear buds under the helmet and that seems to help with the wind noise.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dutch said:
I bought the hjc symax helmet. I like the fit alot. My only gripe is the wind noise.
I too have a Symax and had the same complaint about wind noise. The comfort on them is great and like you, Dutch, the flip up is nice to be able to talk to people and let air in. I also found that it doesn't fog up.
I cured the wind noise with a Clearview XXL and have added speakers and a mike, AudioBoss, to the helmet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for you replies. I bought CL-14 for my daughter this past Saturday, it's her first helmet ever, she's 12 and we tried all possible helmets, HJC, Shoei, Arai and she chose CL-14 because it fitted her better. I'm still looking but I think I'll incline towards 3/4, so if you can recommend some good 3/4 beside FG-23, please tell me. I saw Arai sz/m, looked good to me...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Simple fact. So long as it's got the DOT tag they will all do the job they were made to do.
Most important single item to look for is fit.......
There are differences with the more expense helmets -better vents (non issue with a /34)
Removable lining if that important to you
Better graphics and color options...to name a few.
But the bottom line is still the same -approved & fit.-

·
Registered
193 Posts
Maxim,
If you are still inclined towards a 3/4 Helmet, you may want to consider the
HJC AC-3 with the optional face shield. It is an advanced composite helmet
that is stronger, lighter and better vented than the FG-23.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/ac3.htm

Several months ago I bought a Silver AC-3 w/shield and am very pleased with it: pretty airtight and min. wind noise and buffeting.
GinDrinker
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts