Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I purchased an HJC IS-33 helmet. It fit fine and I was satisfied with it. A few months ago I decided to get a modular helmet from HJC because of the extra protection. I bought an HJC SY MaxIII. Big mistake. This is a relatively new helmet. It fit okay except the chin strap was used from another model and the "D" rings were too close to the bottom edge on the left side of the helmet. The snap at the end of the strap was impossible to close.

I contacted them twice and they refused to acknowledge the problem. The helmet is still under warranty.

Does anyone else have this helmet with this problem?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought a SyMax III in January. I've ridden with it about 1,000 miles since then. No problems with the chin strap, but I have had difficulty using the shade visor. It won't stay down frequently. Mine is an XL size.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had a moto cross HJC helmet I use to wear on my snowmobile. After I got bucked off one time the snowmobile ran me over and the steel spikes in the track ripped the helmet off my head. You can only imagine just how lucky I was to come out of that with no head injuries. Anyway, I always had to stop and tighten the chin strap on that helmet, as it never kept drawn up tight. I'm sure that's why it ripped off my head. HJC had nothing to say when I wrote them, and I even said their helmet saved me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>A few years ago I purchased an HJC IS-33 helmet<<

I too have this helmet and like it very much. However, I decided I wanted a modular helmet as well, and recently bought the HJC IS-MAX ll. I gotta say, it's one of the best helmet purchases I've made. I'm done spending the "long dollar" on Arai, Shoei and the like, as the HJC does the job just fine. Oh, and I've had no problems with the chin strap.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
^^^ Do the vents work? Can you actually feel the cool air coming in on top your head. Is it loud? I was looking at one too. As of now I just have a bell open face and I'd like to upgrade safety wise to a modular.

·
Registered
511 Posts
^^^ Do the vents work? Can you actually feel the cool air coming in on top your head. Is it loud? I was looking at one too. As of now I just have a bell open face and I'd like to upgrade safety wise to a modular.
I haven't had it long enough nor has it been warm enough to give you an accurate answer as to the venting capabilities. One can only hope. I do, however, find it to be quite quiet. All in all it's one of the best buys in modular helmets out there, considering the cost.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just purchased the IS-33 and love it over my old one without the sun visor. Can you take the new helmet back to the original store since it doesn't fit correctly?

Hope all works out for you.

PS I wax my helmet every time the bike gets waxed and can feel the difference.

·
Registered
185 Posts
PS I wax my helmet every time the bike gets waxed and can feel the difference.
In what respect? Aerodynamics? Bug cleaning? Rain not staying on the visor?

I like my HJC in the fact that it is modular, but I think it is very noisy. The new windscreen has helped that, but a better helmet with less wind noise would be a great addition to my gear.

·
Registered
175 Posts
In what respect? Aerodynamics? Bug cleaning? Rain not staying on the visor?

I like my HJC in the fact that it is modular, but I think it is very noisy. The new windscreen has helped that, but a better helmet with less wind noise would be a great addition to my gear.
Definantly Aerodynamics as the most important factor. For me a waxed helmet = less head bobbing from wind especially when behind semi's since I travel 60 miles a day mostly on freeways.

It is nice to have rain run off the helmet instead of acting like a parachute being dragged off the helmet too.

As far as less noise one can argue it is not noticeable but to me it is. I have quite sensitive ears so the wind does bother them from time to time but when the helmet is clean and waxed it seams the noise level goes down some.

As far as bug cleaning just plain old water for me. Sometimes a lot of water but nothing more. Removing the visor and allowing it to sit in a bowl of room temp water makes for super easy bug removal and no scratches.

My old helmet was 8 years old and looked new from the outside. However the inside it was horribly loose from me losing so much weight (went from 298 to 150) not to mention since most of the inside could not be removed from that old helmet for cleaning it was just nasty. :tongue6:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Have you guys read about the RPHA. I came across it on a review of the most quiet helmets. It is modular. I tried one on at Sport Tour last week. It fit good. I stepped up to a XXL. It was quiet even in the store. Price was about $410. I did not buy one but soon. Did not like the color selection, just the basic black, silver, white, and one with graphics.

·
Super Moderator
2,367 Posts
I tried one at a show Bake, I really didn't get a chance to mess with them since the salesworm was a poor combination of pushy and unhelpful.
Vs. my IS-Max, the shape seemed a bit different, and it had more features.
It seemed a bit lighter, and a bit better built, but I fear I didn't manage to get one to fit right.
For the money..maybe next helmet, but there are other choices out there.
At the moment I'm waiting to see if we will get the Lazer Monaco in the U.S. since I gather they're working on crossing the pond.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Has a nice set of specs to compare 'em to some extent. The modulars are near the bottom.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am steering clear of any more modular helmets. I purchased a CL-Max 2 and initially loved it. But then I noticed that when I closed it when not wearing it, often the latching piece on the flip only engaged on one side, because the latch missed the slot in the helmet. So I tried to latch it while wearing it and then slipped the helmet off. I was disappointed that usually only one of the 2 latches was engaged. I returned it for a full face model (but stuck with HJC).

·
Super Moderator
2,367 Posts
Been using an IS Max for a few years. I find it a bit noisy but generally ride with earplugs on longer runs, so no biggie. The airflow is OK, but I do get fogging issues. I'm not running the airbox, which I've read is cheesy, but works. I do plan on getting another pinlock insert if I run into cool weather again since my last one was effective for about a year as long as it remained sealed to the primary shield.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have a CL Max modular, very noisy, no air flow, fairly comfortable just HOT!!! I recently replaced it with a LS2 Modular FF386. Motorcycle Super Store had it on sale for $169. Much quieter, decent air flow, has a drop down tinted visor, and shield change/replacement is very simple.
Oh, it has a different type of latch for the chin strap, no D-rings.
It super easy to fasten and unlatch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts