Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a hitch carrier to transport my 400 S. I have a 2" hitch on my Tahoe, and it's rated about 1200 lb tongue weight maximum. I'd like something sturdy for a long trip, and easy enough for 1 person to load and unload it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Warren,

Have you looked at the Tahoe's owner's manual for recommended tongue weight on a trailer? Most suggest between 200-300 lbs, any more might make the vehicle unstable, & with the 400 tipping in at almost 500 lbs dry weight (certainly more with oil, fuel, helmets, etc.) I'm not sure the front of the Tahoe would stay down enough for proper control of the vehicle.

I'm thinking you might be way better off with a cycle trailer.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Because I have a 1-ton pickup (750 lb. tongue capacity), I looked at hitch carriers first. Almost none of them I found in my research will handle a Burgie, due to weight or length or wheel-size issues. I do seem to recall finding a couple, but their prices as best I remember were so high that I gave up. (Besides, they looked very hard to load the bike onto.) It is my current intention to put a new floor in my $350 lawn mower trailer and use it, though I may just replace the whole shebang since the mower trailer is kinda on the old and decrepit side anyway. Depends on how things turn out when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I used a Tilt-a-rack to haul my Ruckus on a Ranger pickup. A bigger vehicle should be able to handle a bigger bike, but all the pictures in the advertising show cycles. Cycles have the engine centered between the wheels & centered over the hitch mount. Big scooters tend to be heavier toward the rear wheel. Even with my Ruckus, I could sense the weight bias toward one side. You might not be happy with the vehicle handling due to that weight bias. In my case with the Ranger pickup, it is a necessity to have a trailer for my Burgman 400. Got my trailer at Lowes Home Center because this 5 X 8 has the axle 2/3 of the way towards the rear....right where my scooter is the heaviest. :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hitch carrier

I don't see the weight of the Burg a problem. My Tahoe is a big and heavy 4 door Z71 4x4, and shouldn't have any problem carrying the weight. If it's going to get me 14 mpg anyway, it ought to be able to do a little extra work!

Thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
In a recent magazine I got that had accessories for metric bikes (sorry, I can't remember the exact name) they showed a number of different trailers and carriers for bikes.

One that intriged me was a hitch carrier that held up the front tire of the motorcycle. I looked like it had some sort of lift mechanism on it. The rear tire remained on the road as the bike got towed behind the vehicle.

I'll look for the issue and post up info for the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I would lean towards a tilt-a-rack style trailer as well. Easily connected, easy to load/unload bike, no added miles on the rear wheel of the bike or risk of receiver to frame failure and someone who is good with fabrication could even design/build it to be enclosed/lockable (my thoughts are hinging side-panels/roof so you can easily drive it on and fasten bike down then fold up sides and back and lock on top and back).
I think way too much.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
My boss is retiring for good in a year or two, but has already started collecting his retirement gear. 1st came a big Dodge diesel pickup wth 5th wheel bed hitch. Next was a travel trailer to pull. He hasn't had a motorcycle for a few years, but after seeing how much fun I have on mine he's thinking about getting two smaller scooters to take along. He and I have aleady examined his tailer and think we can alter part of the rear to serve as a scooter garage. The scooters may have to have low or no windscreens (or easily removeable ones), and you won't be able to ride them into this storage space (too tight), but they will be kept "inside" as he travels and only take a few minutes to get out and ride.

I don't suppose you can squeeze your burgman INTO your Tahoe, can you? IF not, go for the tilt-to-load style bike trailers, or one of the ones that lowers it's rail within the outer frame to allow you easy loading at ground level.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue Ox carriers

Thanks for the tip. I sent Blue Ox email, to get some more information. It looks pretty good.

On the subject of putting the Burg into the Tahoe, it's too tall. As much as I like my "S", I don't need to be able to throw my arm over it's fender while on a car trip!

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
572 Posts
OK, I've finally got a chance to get back on the computer before my summer hiatus. I checked the magazine issue and I think I found what you were looking for. It's a platform that fits on the hitch reciever and holds up to 1000 lbs:

http://www.lifthitch.com/

It's much better than what I mentioned before (since I had concerns about tire wear, too). Also, when you're not carrying the scoot, you could probably use it for carrying other stuff like boxes and garden supplies, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
WH

I don't know if you are checking this post anymore but you might want to check the rating on your hitch again. The hitch on your Tahoe should be the same as the one on my GMC crewcab pickup. On mine the 1200 lb rating is for an equalizing hitch, the dead weigh rating which is the one you would want to look at for a carrier is just 600 lbs. The weight of your Burg + the weigh of a carrier strong enough to carry it would be more than that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts