Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the way in to work tonight (I work a deep graveyard shift), I hit a good size rock on the freeway - looked more like a chunk of concrete. The bike wabbled but it stayed up.

Just before I pulled in to the parking garage, the front tire went flat. Here's a pic of the wheel. Why this didn't do this on the middle of the freeway at 60 mph and cause me to test my safety gear I'll never know.

OK - so I'm blessed.

Besides replacing the wheel and the tire, what else should I look for?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yeap!! Looks like your Done for the Season.

Your gonna need a New Rim!! Bruce,

Check ebay,

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have heard of people repairing bent aluminum rims but I personally would never trust it.

Check ebay and see if you can find a deal on a good used one.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the wheel/rim gets replaced, and the tire too if there's any doubt.

Things like that are too important to risk.

Done for the season - please - surely you jest Elliott. I ride all year, except when it rains/sleets/snows (usually).

·
Registered
182 Posts
I sent you a personal message. I have a spare 2008 Burgman 400 wheel. It needs the rotors but If yours are straight, this will fix you up and get you back on the road again.

I agree with Happytech, replace the tire too.... The cords inside the tire are probably toast. Check your front shock seals for leakage, an impact like that could blow your seals.

You must live a charmed life....most people would be writing an entry such as yours from a hospital bed, then calling their insurance company reporting they totaled their bike. I am glad you are okay, and are able to tell the story without all the road rash and bruising.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Hard to be-leave that happened, As strong as the Materials are on are scoots, Wow never would have thought that would have happened, and that Part is expensive,Lucky that your Rotors did not take any Damage, These Stupid trucks must have Dropped that stuff, happens all the time out here on are freeways.

Roger32849, May be right? Report it to your insurance company, You might get some Money from that Incident,

Lucky you guys have a Backup Vehicle ,Until you get that fixed!! Bruce,

Elliott,

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Tire's definitely done. Prob check the wheel alignment and inspect the fork.

Hit a small boulder
Happy, are you still running the HiT?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
at the shop . . .

Well, I called Fetch this morning and she and one of her drivers got down and loaded the bike in the trailer and took it to the repair shop. Now it's going to be a game of wait/holidays/where's my parts/etc.

I do agree with the wife that it's best to let Frank check it out (also going to have him check the valves while it's there - it's time).

I wish I had been wearing the helmet cam last night - might have been interesting.

Anyway, for anyone that's in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, check out Frank at Monkey Wrench and Fetch at Cycle Towing - both good folks.

http://www.monkeywrenchmotorcycles.com/

http://motorcycletowing.vpweb.com/default.html

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Thank God, With the way the Rim Looks it could have Locked up, That bent area looked like it would have not got passed the Side Fork, the Clearance is very Close ,will have to check the side Fork, to see if it was not Scraped.

Yeah Memorial Day, So things will be Closed including Shipping.

Elliott,

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'd worry about the fork being bent from THAT impact!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Glad your okay Bruce. The way the rim looks I would have figured you couldn't have rode it home. Wasn't there all kinds on vibration?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Glad you're OK, that was one heck of a hit. I hit a cobblestone in the middle of the road on my old 400 running about 50mph and my rim didn't bend and the tire stayed inflated but a lot of the panels separated. Oh yeah had to change my shorts too, i looked away for one brief second and BAMM, bike went airborne thank god we didn't go down. My cage was rattled for the next two weeks or so.

You should also have them check that the bearings and races are not notchy in the steering neck.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well right now it's sitting in Frank's shop, all nice and protected from the weather. I'm confident that Frank will know what to check - he's delt with a few wrecked bikes. From what I heard (from his wife last Friday), I believe he and the insurance company have already made contact. The last time I spoke with the insurance company (last Friday) they were going to send someone out to video the damage tomorrow (Wednesday).

Right now, it's a wait and see game. I already gave the $$ ok to get the wheel and tire purchased - he'll let me know what else needs to be done.

Maybe with the bike in the shop we'll keep getting some more sorely needed rain around here.

This bike will never get the great mileage that it should, but it's one tough little beast! :D

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are a lucky SOB. Lottery tickets in your future. You now have a fancy hose reel for the yard though.
Blessed is much more like it, and no, I'm not a son of a boss.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Your right about that Bruce, Beast it is are bikes, I once did the Brakes, and forgot yo Pump them, In the morning i went ,throttled it right into the wall of the House, Not a scratch on the front Fender, Must have hit that wall at 26,mph...

Let us know what was Done to the Beast, when you get time..

Elliott,

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's BACK!!!

Just got the bike back this afternoon from the repair shop. It's been about four weeks since I hit that nasty block of concrete in the middle of the highway.

I still think I'll take the car to work this evening - I want to double-check a few things on the bike first (front tire pressure, etc.). Besides, starting back to work on Sunday night is always hard after switching from night shift to day shift for the weekend and then switching back on Sunday night.

However, tomorrow night (Monday) . . . :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Awesome man, so glad its fixed!

I'd go crazy without mine that long ;)
(more so than I already am lol)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts