Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have watched the LeDude video.. I have a Corbin seat that I want to put on my 2012 650.. the video goesthrough the steps.. but I have another issue..

Here is my issue.. I remove the gas cylinder from the stock seat.. easily.. This allows me to put the seat up higher.. My problem is my darn fat fingers trying to get to the bracket at the front of the seat.. I can't seem to get there..I plan on removing the battery cover this weekend which will hopefully allow me to get better access.. It's simply a 10 mm socket there.. but I can't get the socket with the small ratchet driver in there.. I also tried it with a right angle wobbler adapter and that didn't work..

The process of removing and reinstalling in itself is no big deal.. my simple issue is that I need a hint on getting some thing onto the nuts that hold the front bracket in place and then the reverse, when I have to put the bolts back in with the Corbin..

Just some ideas would be helpful OR.. will removing the battery cover give me enough access to get there?
Thanks..

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I use a 1/4" ratchet and 10mm deep socket which just fits in. Then loosen the four nuts and use my fingers to spin them off. Mind you I have slimmer hands though.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THat's what I used.. and really couldn't get the socket on the nut well.. I was afaraid I maight strip it if I pushed it too hard without the socket on the nut solidly. I guess.. I have to hope that the battery cover removal will work.. It's so darn simple I hate to pay $100 t0o a dealer to get it done..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
There are angled boxed end wrenches. I have had to use a open end wrench on occasion. It seemed to take forever, but after you get the nuts slightly loosened, reach your arm around and push towards you on the seat. It will help you get some wiggle room and loosen the bolts the rest of the way with your fingers.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I also have large hands. I used a 1/4 inch ratchet and a short extension.

Removing the battery cover will help. If that still does not give you enough room to get your hands in there, remove the battery too. You may end up removing it anyway. The first time I took my seat off I found the plug for the seat light was pushed down under the battery box and I ended up removing it to get the plug out.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
JUst a pain for a simple job is all. I get very tired of my fat fingers.. I will consider the extension..
The plug for my light is visible and right there on the left side of the bike..

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
$5 paid to a highschool boy with skinny hands
may help the situation...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I knew any high school boys.. . which I don't.. they don't want to hang around with me.. maybe my wife.. but then she denies the existence of my Burgman.. so that won't work.. Do you thonk I might get in trouble if I asked a stranger with small hands to come back to my place to see if I might be able to twist something off? Probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a ratchet box wrench set today.. Hopefully that will do it..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I got smaller hands.... Duster's seat wasn't too hard to get changed out. If you were here I would swap it out for you. I can say that since the weather is warming up.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got smaller hands.... Duster's seat wasn't too hard to get changed out. If you were here I would swap it out for you. I can say that since the weather is warming up.
Well I do have family in Cinci. so maybe I could justify a 14 hr ride there from Boston.. Naw.. probably not.. I am looking forward to some alone time with my Burgman tommorow. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a big guy(290 or so) with 10 vienna sausages for fingers,i just use a socket with an extention for the front hinges,i've taken my seat off a few times and it never takes me more than a few minutes depending on my blood alcohol level.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got it off this morning.. but the extension idea is OK.., and I Did use that, but the socket driver doesn't fit into the space with the extension.. I ended up using the box wrench to get it started then the extension to speed it up..I also removed the battery cover to make a little more space.. One of the posts coming out of the OEM seat was bent like a banana.. (I didn't do it).. it was the lower left as you are looking at the seat from behind in the up position.. The post sheared off as the nut wouldn't move when I got a socket on it.. The seat latch at the end of the OEM seat has to be removed and placed on the Corbin.. That is held on by two lock nuts (the kind with the plastic liner ) One came off no issue.. The other was never really on.. it was cross threaded and the lock nut just spins as the post coming out of the OEM is stripped.. so to remove that I'll have to cut the bolt without damaging the seat latch assembly.. so that was it.. I don't have a saw with a metal blade in it anymore..That got thrown away when my basement flooded.. I called my dealer.. I'll have to freakin leave it there while they fit it in.. I don't look at wrenching as problem solving but rather as an ordeal.. I could feel catastrophe just over the horizon..

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm 5'8" with a good back. I feel rooked in the height department, thankful in the back department, and lucky that the stock seat has always been fine by me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts