Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
WELCOME Cindy_-_sports!!!!

Short answer Yes, yes, and uh, well - yes!

:)

The 400 is a very fine super scoot - better than you will see most all year - most the times, dependant on where you live.

Totally Highway capable. Top speed in excess of 85 real miles per hour with a passenger. Lots of comparable scooter comfort, super cool style.

What else can I say?

Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
cindy214sports said:
Is the 400 good for highway commuting at 70 mph average? Is there any vibration etc.? and is it a comfortable ride.
Sure is. Keep in mind that the speedometer is optimistic by 5-7 mph. If it shows 70 on your speedometer, actual speed is probably 63 - 65 mph.
Richard

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have been riding my 400 to work and back since new. I usually run about 75MPH (indicated) which is right around 70MPH actuall as per the GPS that I "borrowed" for a while in the spring.

At this speed, the Burgie 400 has plenty of pep and is ready to accelerate out of trouble or get around that big truck if needbe. If traffic dictates, I can run faster without taxing the machine. It's also more stable than any 400cc scooter has a right to be.

You may want to invest in some wind protection in the form of a shield modification or replacement. The most popular on this site for the 400 are either the Laminer Lip on the OEM windshied or a GIVI full shield which replaced the factory unit.

The factory shield is basically useless for anyone over 5' even.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Very comfy indeed, even on longer trips. The driver's backrest is adjustable so find the right spot. I'm 6' and I can put my feet up forward in the farings for more comfort.
Welcome on board to the forum.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I found riding on I-94 a very comfortable experience...even passing semis! I had mine at the flow of traffic around 70 and passing at upwards of 80mph with a buddy of mine on a 1800 cc bike. He didn't have to slow down and was very impressed with the Burgman. Even at 80 I still had room on the throttle.

It seems that wherever I go, "clutches" are always amazed at my "clutchless". Kinda fun.

Jay

·
Registered
806 Posts
I may have said this before, I dunno...if I did, sorry.

Refering to the clutchless subject, that is but a small part. I took the MSF in 1994 and remember all of the defensive driving and control lessons. However, after I got my Helix, I basically forgot about everything else. :)

So when I was going to "move up" from the Helix, I walked in to our local Honda dealer. They had a used Shadow 1100 Spirit and it was BEAUTIFUL. "So, you wanna take it out for a test ride?" I said "sure!!"

So I set the choke, started the bike, then engaged 1st gear, rolled the clutch out, and was on my way.

I went through the five gears and did a "roll on" test of 5th gear. It was "ok" but nothing earth shattering. So a few miles down the road, I slowed down at an intersection to turn around and come back (rural Ohio, we can do this).

1st gear, clutch, throttle, knees up against the tank, throttle, clutch, counterbalance, easy...EASY...whew, made it!!"

The beautiful cruiser that I left with turned into a complete pain in the arse by the time I got back.

I bought another scooter, the Burgman 400, the next week and never looked back.

I think that we just take our Burgies for granted sometimes. I mean, I go out, thumb the starter, and I am gone. Low speed manuvers are a snap, and high speed touring is as easy and as comfortable as most conventional motorcycles I have ridden.

I wouldn't mind having a cruiser to putt around on, you know, to see and be seen, but to ride day in and day out and use as a commuter/touring bike like I do the Burgman? No way!!!!

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
GIVI full shield product number for a 400?

You may want to invest in some wind protection in the form of a shield modification or replacement. The most popular on this site for the 400 are either the Laminer Lip on the OEM windshied or a GIVI full shield which replaced the factory unit

Can you tell me what the product number this is for the GIVI? There are many on their website but I am not sure to which one you are referring. Thanks.

Jay

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Go for it Cindy, you will love the Burgman 400.

Last week I did a 1594 miles trip on my 400 and it was great. On interstates it just run great at 80 MPH (73 MPH) and still has plenty passing get up and go.

Hope to hear soon that you out having fun riding your Burgman.

PS: Have you taken a Motorcycle Safety Course (MSF basic riding course)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts