Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The highway guy's are repaving the highway in front of my house. First they came through and removed all the old asphalt and about 6" of subbase and filled it all back in with new asphalt and I thought they were through, but no they came back and added another 3" of asphalt on top of that. They tappered the edge of it so I only had about a 1" jump up from my driveway so it was not to bad because again I though they were through. Then they came back and added another 2", with the tapper it's now a 2" jump up, then they came back and added aonther 2" and now the highway is 7" higher than my drive and I have a 4" curb to jump over to get out and they're still not through. They're back out there today adding another 2". If they keep this up I'll have to trade Sting on a dirt bike so I can get out of the drive. :evil:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'd go out and tell the foreman that I wanted the edge sloped to be level with my driveway entrance.

If they won't fix it start calling....first call to your street or highway department (local). If you have to make a second call, make it to the local TV news. Tell them you have a great example of local government mismanagement. TV news people love doing expose's. 8)

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried talking to some of the guy's out there but they all speak spanish and I don't so the conversation didn't go to far. A contracting company is doing the work but it is a state highway so the state district highway office will have responsibility. If they don't do something about it when they finish up all this paving I'll put in a call to the district office.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Craig, I'd bring a 2 by 8 and a cinder block to make a ramp if you let me watch the jump up to the road and take pics! Could I borrow your lawn chair and enjoy a chocolate milk shake made with real ice cream while all that is going on? good luck with the road. Neal

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lawn chairs needed, you can sit in the porch swing :lol: . The jump might be fun but that landing in the ditch on the otherside could be a problem :shock: .

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Craig, I know several folks this has happened to. Some ended up complaining to everyone they knew but not to anyone 'in the know'. Those never did end up happy. Another person complained to the D.O.T. and the city and not only got their driverway paved and sloped to street-level, they also got their neighbors fixed. YOUR tax dollars at work and it's their responsibility to provide SAFE access to the roadway.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Stu, I may need to band together with the neighbors and all of us go complain together. I've got some hope, they came by with a grader yesterday and sloped the edge of the ditch up to the road so maybe they will come back and do something about the driveways. Since I live out in the country none of us have paved driveways, they are crushed white rock. All they would really have to do is add a little rock and grade and pack it. It's something I could do myself but rock is going for about $130 a truckload right now. I'll have to decide which is worse, spending the money or going through the hassle of getting them to do something.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
They are responsible to grade the roadway to each driveway at same level. Even to the point of adding pavement/asphalt to each driveway to even out the levels to a smooth segway between the road and private driveway. A few well-placed calls should handle this for you. Whoever oversees the contracted company's project is who can easily and quickly remedy the situation. A call to the county offices with a couple of well-worded questions as to 'who oversees the road construction project on such and such a road' should get you goin'. :D When you get in touch with that person/group/department just ask them if the contractor knows they are supposed to provide a safe egress/entry to the new roadway to those adjacent to the roadway and that that are not currently doing so (to the tune of a 3-4" difference in grading), invite them out to inspect your driveway and other's if they have any problems with believing you. Most in planning commission are quite helpful and often do not realize a contractor is not providing the full job they have bid for. The time to handle this is now, before the county has accepted their work and finalized/completed the contract. Once the contracted company gets the balance due it's a real headache to get something done (often requires a new contract/company and additional funding).

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since this is a state highway it's the responsiblity of the state highway department and not the county. I talked with the state maintenance supervisor this morning and he said they are suppose to blend in the driveways before they finish as part of the contract. I gave him my address and he said he would have the project supervisor see if he can do something about improving my situation in the short term :D .

·
Registered
857 Posts
Buffalo said:
Since this is a state highway it's the responsiblity of the state highway department and not the county. I talked with the state maintenance supervisor this morning and he said they are suppose to blend in the driveways before they finish as part of the contract. I gave him my address and he said he would have the project supervisor see if he can do something about improving my situation in the short term :D .
Write down names and dates/times you speak with anyone. If they delay, put your concerns in writing and send to several contacts at different departments. Note in your letter that you are concerned that "an accident" could happen due to the poor condition of the road - then you can sue them for damages IF/when you tip your burgman over due to the poor road conditions.

Actually, I threaten this, but i've never done so and wouldn't unless it were a drastic situation - but they'll understand the reference and it might encourage them to move a little faster. Not a lot faster, but hopefully a little.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Well that good advice from Stu seems to have paid off.
Craig would have done it anyway I'm sure. Nothing I wrote really exited from common sense area. Glad they have confirmed they will be addressing the issue and went a step further to 'temporarily' "about improving my situation in the short term". Shows good intentions and hopefully some quality pride in workmanship. Something i have noted more here in Texas than I've seen in many other places I have lived.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went out to pick up my evening paper a little while ago and the project supervisor pulled up to talk to me. He's a nice guy, he said they would be by in a little while to do the temporary work and sure enough they showed up an put enough asphalt in to create a ramp about a foot and a half wide and provide a smoother transition. He said they have another layer to add to the road and when they finished that they would create a wider transition ramp.

He ask if I was the guy who had the silver scooter. I told him yes I was and then I had to tell him all about it. Of course he wanted to know what kind of mileage it gets and how fast it goes. He said one of the guy's on his crew rides a Kawasaki crouch rocket and he was comming in to work the other morning when a scooter passed him doing about 85.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
was it you that passed him? :D

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nancy wrote:

was it you that passed him?
Maybe when I was young and stupid but I'm to old for that now, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it :wink: .

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let's see :scratch: , with the 10% speedo error that's 93 right. :withstupid:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts