Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much miles or kilometers on the odometer of highest mileage Burgman 650, and nature of failures and repairs they had ?

My 2006 650 Executive actually shows 44000km ( 27000 miles ) without any problems. However I replaced wheel bearings and seals at 24000 km as a preventive maintenance.
As said elsewhere, I added Givi luggages, an E450 top case and a pair Givi E21 side cases, each bracket self made. I also added an IMC MIT100 intercom for driver-passenger communication. Would like the heated seat and grips of the 2009 Exec.( I'm Canadian ).
Actually rides on a rear Michelin Pilot Sport and a front Bridgestone.
Under warranty maintenances were at prescribed 6000/12000km. They now are made at 10 000/20 000km, always with Suzuki genuine oil and filters, except final drive wich uses 85W140 Motomaster gear oil for quieter running. Just move the bike in the garage while it is warm as it will be very stiff when cooled next morning.

We sometimes read about broken drive belt and final drive failures on B650. How many of us suffered these failures ? Is the number significative ? How many of us drove high mileage without any failures ?

·
Premium Member
14,451 Posts
I'm at 38,843 miles now on my 07 and I'm nowhere close to some of the folks on the board.

·
Administrator
22,942 Posts
I am knocking at 55,000 miles as of today. I have had wheel bearing problems and 1 Ing issue that was a warrenty fix. I got the Burgie with 12,200 miles and have ridden it hard ever sence. I use what ever oil that is cheap to me, but normaly Rotella or Delo 15W40 as I pay about $0.85 a quart. I did run Rotella Syn 05W40 but the cost went from $12 per Gal to over $22. All measurements and $$ are US standard.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
I recently reviewed the CVT failures that have been reported here, and I can emphatically state:

There has not been a single credible and conclusive report of only a CVT belt breaking.

I revamped the BKB to reflect this: http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+CVT#Failures

On that page I have listed the approximate mileage at failure, and the cause. As you can see, there are huge gaps in the information we have for just the 7 failures were reported here. Please keep in mind that a CVT failure does not equal a broken belt.

The belts have broken, yes, but NOT without a pulley bearing seizing first. Since we are at the mercy of those willing to report their experiences here on BUSA, we certainly don't have the whole picture like Suzuki does. Nevertheless, 7 reported failures as of today, is not too shabby. Fears about the belt breaking for no reason are unjustified, IMO.

To get back to the title of this thread, you can see where one person had his belt prophylactically replaced at 99,000 miles. Not only does that show the longevity of the bike, but also the belt.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As we can find, Mr. Dave Willett would have more than 110 000 miles ( 175 000 km ) on his 2006, spark plugs and water pump replaced at 89 000 miles and drive belt at 99 000 miles.
And Lumberman replaced belt at 93 000 miles ( 149 000 km. ).

Good.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I completely agree with Colchicine about the pulley bearings seizing. That is most likely what causes a chain reaction thru the cvt breaking other parts. In the few complete cvt failures iv heard of, the bearing was the culprit that started the whole problem.

Theres not much that can be done to stop that. Most pulley bearings will last longer than the engine or any other part of the bike. But theres always that imperfect few that get installed at assembly that go undetected. And even those may last 20,000 miles before they fail.

Even perfect bearings failed due to the improper alignment caused by the poor mounting system of the 2003 models. In late 2004 , Suzuki changed the adapter gear to much more secured design.

-Matt

·
Administrator
22,942 Posts
By the way, tonight when I parked I looked at my ODO, 55,096 miles. WHOOO HOOOO. DaveJ

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2007 Burgman 650 with 46,700 miles on it. I plan to put another 2,000 miles on it this weekend.

At 45,000, a bearing in the CVT failed and froze. The belt did not break. My dealer convinced them to also replace the final drive even though there was no damage.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Gershon, I couldn't find where you posted about the bearings before. If you could be kind enough to indulge my fanaticism for the 650, could you post details about the situation?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Colchicine said:
Gershon, I couldn't find where you posted about the bearings before. If you could be kind enough to indulge my fanaticism for the 650, could you post details about the situation?
I don't think I posted before about the failure. I started to notice the scooter was running a little rough at idle and it idled about 200 RPM low. Then it had trouble starting a couple times like the battery was going dead. Finally, I was going down the interstate and the engine died. Fortunately, I was in the right lane right by a downhill exit. So the stop was without incident.

When the mechanic first checked it, he thought the engine was seized. Then he figured out it was the CVT. He couldn't get it apart to see exactly what was wrong inside of it. The belt was fine. Fortunately, there were no arguments about it being a wear item, so it was covered without hassle by the warranty. I suspect buying a new Burgman 650 Executive at the same time had something to do with it.

It did take a couple of months to get fixed, but only because I told the dealer I knew it was their busy season and I didn't mind if they had to slip working on my scooter to get someone else in who was in a bind.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Thanks for that info, the symptoms you listed are the first I've heard.

So you're saying that the belt got replaced "under warranty", or do you think the dealer did you a favor by writing that off to make a customer happy?

Everyone: Despite people's first assumptions, it appears that the BEARINGS may be the weakest part of the CVT and NOT the belt. This makes 3 confirmed bearing failures, more than any other. Can anyone surmise WHAT is different about the bearings that make the susceptible to failure?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Colchicine said:
Thanks for that info, the symptoms you listed are the first I've heard.

So you're saying that the belt got replaced "under warranty", or do you think the dealer did you a favor by writing that off to make a customer happy?

Everyone: Despite people's first assumptions, it appears that the BEARINGS may be the weakest part of the CVT and NOT the belt. This makes 3 confirmed bearing failures, more than any other. Can anyone surmise WHAT is different about the bearings that make the susceptible to failure?
The belt didn't fail. Just the bearing. My guess is there is no lubrication to the bearing. It's supposed to be a sealed and not need service. If for some reason it ever gets hot, like say, someone forgets to release the parking brake, my guess is the lubricant runs out.

I'm not a mechanic, so I'm probably completely wrong. I don't think the dealer did me a favor. I think he convinced the Suzuki rep that he couldn't be sure other things weren't damaged. Since it was going my way, I didn't ask many questions.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have approx 75000 km (47000 miles) on my '06 650 Exec. Regular maintenance (oil, tranny, final drive oil) done by me every 8-10k kms (usually closer to 10k km) I use regular 10w40 oil, K&N replcement filter. Wheel bearings done at 50000 km as preventative measure, the original ones were fine at that time. Plugs done at 50k km, valves checked at 50k km (no adjustment needed), original front brake pads replaced at 70k km.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Good theory about the bearings.

Clarification, and this does make a difference: was the CVT work performed under Suzuki's first year warranty, or done under your extended warranty?

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for that update!! Looks like we should check in on him every couple of months.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I want pictures, please :) that would be nice. that is a lot of miles 125K on a burg. I thought only goldwings get that high.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.