Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search on this top and I know most of you use 87 octane (USA).

But, would my '13 650 perform any better with 93 Octane fuel? That is, would it accelerate any faster or sound smoother?

Anyone using Ethanol free fuel? I have 89 and 91 octane ethanol free fuel for my lawn tractor. I pay about $1 more per gallon for it vs ethanol 87 octane.

Engine life extended with ethanol free fuel?

It's easy to use higher octane ethanol fuel (93) than to buy and store additional Ethanol free fuel for the 650.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 AM #8 (PERMALINK)
adentre
Turbo Poster

Default Re: Fuel - Octane Level
I don't believe higher octane gives better gas mileage. I used to think so but have since learned that it is not so. Here is a little blurb about it:
High Octane - Simple Definition

Technically, an octane rating measures the proportion of isooctane to heptane in a fuel. But as a practical matter, a fuel's octane rating relates to how much energy it takes to ignite that fuel.

The higher the octane number, the more energy it takes to ignite the gas.
Does High Octane Gas Improve Gas Mileage?

No. Unless your car is explicitly designed to run on high octane gas1 (it's rare, read your car's manual), using a high octane gas will NOT give your car better mileage. That's because the rating refers to how much energy it takes to ignite the gas, not directly to how much energy the gas puts out.
Does High Octane Gas Give More Power?

No. Unless your car is explicitly designed for high octane gas (see your car's manual), using a high octane gas will NOT improve the power output of your engine. Again, the octane rating relates to how much energy it takes to ignite the gas, but NOT directly to how much energy the gas puts out.

I could swear that one trip in my car a while back gave me better mileage with 91 octane. Maybe it was just the placebo effect??
andy
2006 400 grey Burgman with tow-pac (wife's)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
This--Octane 101--is an older document, however nothing has changed makes the information presented any less relevant.

Short story: If the engine is running properly on grade X fuel switching to a higher grade will only serve to make your wallet lighter (which may account for some of the "higher top speed" reports). That said here in Florida in the heat of summer I do run 91 octane in my '03 400

·
Registered
347 Posts
The bike may not run as well as it can if you are using high octane fuel and your spark plugs are in the cold range.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use ethanol free in everything I own. I find that the price increase is offset by the lack of problems ethanol causes. I have a '13 650. My indicated fuel economy is 63.5 on average, but dividing the miles driven by the gallons added, I am actually getting 66.3 mpg average. This is on 89 octane ethanol free gas, usually BP brand.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Higher octane will NOT give you better performance!!! Octane rates are based on how much pressure is required to make the fuel detonate. This is important for high compression engines or those using turbo/superchargers as the pressure is very high in those engines. Higher octane burns slower thus less energy is released thus less power is made. The idea of higher octane giving more is a very old myth. Unless you are having some sort of detonation{pink or knock} going on, use the octane recommended by the manufacturer. If you are having detonation it usually means there is excessive carbon build up in the combustion chamber. This is almost unheard of these days with detergents added to the fuel but not impossible.

Ethanol free gas on the other hand is a different story. If I could get it easily and cheaply here I would run it all the time. Ethanol can cause problems with the fuel system both in running and in sitting. It will reduce the performance of the engine a tiny bit. It will also cause a build of of a waxy substance in the intake system{big problem with carbs not as bad with FI}. If you let ethanol sit in the tank for long enough it will separate from the gasoline. Ethanol is also hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water. So if you live in a humid climate water will be introduced into the tank.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Is it possible to see 120 mph (GPS) on a 650 by using a combination of race fuel and super unleaded (93 octane)?
You can probably see 120mph on 87 octane if you take off the windscreen and crouch down.

·
Administrator
18,743 Posts
You can probably see 120mph on 87 octane if you take off the windscreen and crouch down.
2003 Burgman 650 all stock. Slight down hill, CUT down GIVI screen, mirrors pulled in, 87 Octane gas and down in a tuck I attained 122 MPH on a Wyoming State troopers lidar. I also had a FULL dressed Aspincade Goldwing directly in front of me. I do not know the RPM at that speed. The fastest I got just normal riding was 105 MPH for two tanks of gas, all the regular pump stuff and got 43 MPG in Arizona @ 115 degrees F.

I did a few tanks of 92 and 94 octane for no effective gain that I could see. I used the same amount of fuel for my 82 mile commutes. Pay more to the cartel's if you want, I will not.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I run 98 octane in all my bikes ,and cars which are high performance cars and high performance bikes so the burgman get the 98 octane as i store 40 liters at home to top up any vehicle i own.As for feeling any difference between the 92 and 98 none that i can tell .But i am not a fuel economy conscious person .I want the toys so i don't care what it cost to run them

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yup, I did that little experiment several years ago on the 400. NO discernible difference between 87 and 91, ride, performance or economy wise. Just stick to what the manual says.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Here in the town that I live in there is a mom and pop convenience store that sells all ethanol free gas of 87,89, and 91 octane. Their prices are a few cents lower than the main brand (Shell, Chevron, Exxon, etc) are here. I have ran all three grades in my GL1800, my KLR650 and my Burgman. While the KLR does run better on premium (don't know why either) the Goldwing and the Burgman seem to run as well or better on regular than the higher grades. And even though I prefer to run the corn free stuff in my bikes, I get no increase in gas mileage. None. :confused: Matter of fact, the best gas mileage that I ever got with the Wing I was running 10% ethanol.

There is another station in town that also sells the corn free stuff too in 87 and 89 octane but it is one of the older stations where you have to pay inside so I hardly ever get gas there but when I do same thing- same mileage and the ethanol laced stuff.

I cant say about my pickup or my car because I only gas them up a few times a year. I just drive them enough to keep the battery charged and often still I have to jump start them if I forget to fire them up every now and then. :joker:

So while I would like to say there is a huge difference in gas mileage when I forsake the ethanol gas in reality there is no difference at all unless I get better mileage with the corn in it. For sure, this one is a "go figure".

·
Registered
753 Posts
Never really thought too much about fuel. But isn't it that none ethanol gas give you better mileage?
As I mentioned, not in my case. Wish it did but there is no discernible difference with my machines.

Oh, and no difference in my PC800 either but for the last 19+ years that bike hasn't cared one way or another what kind of gas that I put in it so I always put the cheapest stuff that they sell in it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Never really thought too much about fuel. But isn't it that none ethanol gas give you better mileage?
I don't notice better mpg either. If it does it isn't much. I do notice a little better running, not more power but smoother idle and acceleration. I also can tell a difference in the smell. With ethanol I get a funky smell after slowing or stopping after a brisk run. Reminds me of the alcohol bunsen burner from my chemistry set as a kid.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ethanol free gas on the other hand is a different story. If I could get it easily and cheaply here I would run it all the time. Ethanol can cause problems with the fuel system both in running and in sitting. It will reduce the performance of the engine a tiny bit. It will also cause a build of of a waxy substance in the intake system{big problem with carbs not as bad with FI}. If you let ethanol sit in the tank for long enough it will separate from the gasoline. Ethanol is also hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water. So if you live in a humid climate water will be introduced into the tank.
If you are anywhere near a lake you may be able to get ethanol free gas from a marina. It's still illegal to put in boats. Also, there's a free Android app called, "Pure Gas" that will list gas stations near you based on your gps location that sell ethanol free.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you are anywhere near a lake you may be able to get ethanol free gas from a marina. It's still illegal to put in boats.
I'm just wondering why marinas would even sell ethanol free gas if it is not legal to put it in your boat. Can you get arrested for running pure gasoline in your boat where you live?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you are anywhere near a lake you may be able to get ethanol free gas from a marina.
Thanks for the idea but...
New Mexico is the state with the least amount of water! So no lakes with marinas near. There are a couple of lakes in the state{man-made} but they are 200 miles away from Roswell. There is a place that sells the good stuff but it is on the other side of town and it costs more. I get some every third or fourth tank full. I figure that will help reduce the film that ethanol causes. I also use it for my lawn equipment.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have used REC gas and I find I don't get as good a mileage or pep that Premium fuel will. REC gas is the bass you was talking about, here they call it REC gas because it is used mainly by boats. Octane is ok at 91 but to pay more and get less performance and mileage.
So I only burn premium now. What I pay extra over regular I get in better mileage and performance. I have a 2013 also. And is about at least $1.00 to $1.50 less per gallon than REC gas here in Miami.
Great bike specially after I changed the oils to Motul 7100 for engine and transmission and Final gear: Motul gear box 80-90.
This was recommended to me by the Tech at mogul and it not only gives great performance but makes the final gear quitter even the engine and tray is quitter. It took about 200 miles after the change then I notice a big change. got rid of that winning sound I had. My bike now has the best protection and performs great. Even with winter coming no problem with 100% synthetic, Another feature is the oil is red so easier to detect leaks and on the sight glass much easier. I was told that it gets lighter in color as it wears so that is another way to tell when its time for a change. Not just with mileage. It supposed to get a very light pink nearly clear by change time.

I've done a search on this top and I know most of you use 87 octane (USA).

But, would my '13 650 perform any better with 93 Octane fuel? That is, would it accelerate any faster or sound smoother?

Anyone using Ethanol free fuel? I have 89 and 91 octane ethanol free fuel for my lawn tractor. I pay about $1 more per gallon for it vs ethanol 87 octane.

Engine life extended with ethanol free fuel?

It's easy to use higher octane ethanol fuel (93) than to buy and store additional Ethanol free fuel for the 650.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts