Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all - glad I found this forum :)
I have a new '04 silver Burgman 400, and have been riding it as much as the weather allows - over 1300 miles since I got it for my Birthday last month :D .
There's one issue that has become a distraction for me. I am only 5'2", and the windshield seems just too tall for me. The top of the windshield is directly at my line of sight. I find myself either craning my neck to see over it, or scrunching down to see through it. On hilly terrain, I'm constantly bobbing my head up and down to see better. I've tried to find where I can get a shorter shield, but apparently there isn't one available - I've called the dealer and scoured the internet. this leaves me a rather intimidating option - cutting down the windshield. I called a few auto glass places, and only one said that he has done it before and would be willing to do it. My hubby has offered to cut it down with a jigsaw, but he says I should buy a replacement, just in case it gets botched. A new windshield from the dealer would cost me $225...and I would still have the problem of it being too tall...
Any advice?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Gustafsson plastics makes both a tall screen and a stock screen for the Burgman 400 (and you can choose between 16 different tints). I don't think anyone in the group has bought one yet - I don't think we were aware that there was an option other than Givi for the 400. I just searched his site for AN400 under the "Product" tab - and he does do them. (I did try one of Gustafsson's screens on my V-Strom motorcycle last year.)

Anyway, he supposedly does some custom cut screens too. Maybe he'd be willing to cut down one of his stock AN400 screens by a couple of inches - and you could maybe get a unique tint too. He's got colors as wild as "Flourescent Pink"!

You might give him a call and let us know what you find out?

http://www.bikescreen.com/index.html

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
If you decide to try the jigsaw modification & want a spare stock screen, some of our members have bought the taller Givi windscreen and might be willing to sell you their original stock screen.

There is a "Classified" category in our forum. Try posting a "windscreen wanted" ad.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The other option you have is buying the Givi windscreen and being taller the top edge won't be in your diret line of sight. If you dont like looking through the screen and would like to look over then cut it down. Using masking tape as guide to the contour you want to get. This should also help against possible cracking. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
For what it's worth I put a Givi on my 400 and now look through the screen,
this is a first for me I have always looked over the top of my windshields, and have always had some form of buffeting.
I am use to looking through the shield now and love the "peace & quiet".
In fact in all my years of riding this is the first time I can whistle with a 3/4 helmet on at 70 mph :lol:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not at all used to looking thru the screen. Both of my previous bikes had shorter screens that I looked over the top. I often head off to work in the early morning (leave @ 6 am)... in the cool moist morning air, the screen fogs up, and is impossible to see thru. One hazy morning I had to stop 5 times to wipe down the shield. PITA... I was thinking of trying some anti-fogging product, but haven't done it yet. I could probably get used to looking through it if it werent at SUCH a irritating level - The top of the shield lines up exactly with my line of sight for best view of the road/traffic ahead. The top edge of the shield usually is right at the level of my horizon. Because i travel some hilly country, it gets very annoying trying to see over OR under, whichever one affords me the clearest view. I got a return email from Gustaffson (SP?) - they say they will sell a cut down shield. I plan to call them and get the details.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
bikinbiddy said:
I got a return email from Gustaffson (SP?) - they say they will sell a cut down shield. I plan to call them and get the details.
If you do go with Gustafsson (I think its a double s - gets me too), please keep us posted on the transaction, your satisfaction with the product, and if at all possible, a photograph of your scoot with the windshield on it for our picture gallery. As far as I know, Gustafsson has just started producing windscreens for the Burgmans, and no one else in the group has tried them yet. So that information would be very valuable to us.

I was the first person in the USA to install a couple of items on my 650 - and others here have been first with other products. This is sure a chance for you to gain pioneer status. And I'll say that in each instance, our satisfaction with the the new products has been very good.

I did buy a Gustafsson screen for my motorcycle last year. It just wasn't quite tall enough for me (at 6'6" I have the opposite problem from you - and trust me, its just as bad). Gustafsson did take the screen back and gave me a refund - so they seem OK to deal with.

Best of luck on your decision.

·
Registered
742 Posts
bikinbiddy,

If youre seat height is low like my 250 you could, if your legs are long enough ... site on sheep skin cover.
Should give you 1/2 - 1" height increase maybe be enough to give you bit more height ...

Greg ...

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg said:
bikinbiddy,

if your legs are long enough ...
and there's the rub... :p . Short legs... I thought about a cushion, but decided I'd rather have the flat-footing on the bike... I have a call in to Gustafsson, so far, we haven't fully connected yet...

·
Registered
742 Posts
bikinbiddy,

Looks like cutting the screen is your only option ...

Or as my wife does wear platform shoes to reach the road when she rides her 70cc scooter ...

Greg ...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have a Givi windshield and I like it but have always felt it was to high,. today I cut 4 inches off the top so I can now look over the top (if I sit up straight) .
I am now getting a little more wind but no buffeting which is fine .
What's hard to believe is my gas mileage went up 3 mpg,
that's like 10 miles every tank full for just four inches of plastic. :!:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't know if an Auto glass place would do a good job because
they usually order a piece of new glass that fits perfect with your car
and there is not much cutting involved.
Maybe try a place where they make glass kitchen table tops,
glass coffee tables, glass mirrors. Which they have all the proper
tools for cutting, sanding, buffing and smooth out the edges.
Hope that helps. :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy said:
What's hard to believe is my gas mileage went up 3 mpg,
that's like 10 miles every tank full for just four inches of plastic. :!:
That's not at all hard for me to believe. I've tested several different windscreen solutions on my AN650, and Windscreen size & design has a definite impact on fuel economy. That is one of the reasons I bailed out of the Clearview XXL shield. A windshield is a big air brake - the bigger it is, the more energy it takes to push it through the air. My latest quest has been to come up with a solution that provides adequate comfort with minimal mileage and performance penalties. It sounds like you have just accomplished that!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Randy, what tools did you use? Give us some details as I may want to cut my GIVI off a bit.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
One of my hobbies is scroll sawing so I have a good table scroll saw. BUT, not knowing how much to cut the first time I decided to cut two inches off while the shield was on the bike, I used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade, it will have to be variable speed because if the blade goes to fast the plastic melts together behind the blade. I put tape so the saw did not scratch -and slow and easy holding the shield with one hand ,it works-
A little easy sanding afterwards . I put an edging around the top of mine -the chrome plastic car door edging. comes in a roll at most auto stores.
hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
A suguestion...

Why don't you buy a used windshield from someone from this sight. Lots of people have purchased aftermarket shields because the original item is too short. Not the other way around. Then keep it if you ever want to sell or cut it down and keep your original. I would think someone would be willing to sell theirs for a fraction of the cost of what the dealer would charge and a fraction what you would get one from GIVI or Clearview(?).

If you have to cut it. Use lots of masking tape around the height you want to cut and mark your line. You can even go to your friendly dealer and use an original 400 to mark the line. This will keep the nice lines to match the shape of your scooter. Use a jig saw (certain to use a mild blade..maybe even a steel cutting blade that has smaller teeth than a wood cutting blade) and with a steady hand (may take two of you...one holding it down on a piece of carpet at the end of a table) and saw away. Go gently because the plastic can be brittle and then use a series of files to clean up the edges. Just some idea OK.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Windscreen

Try a plastic fabricator. I live in south east Florida and we have several. Look in the yellow pages under Plastic or Plexaglass.They usually make signs for business store fronts. I purchased a windscreen for my Vespa and it was really ruff around the edges. I took it to the plastic shop and he cut, then polished the edges. Now it's perfect.

I am shopping for a Burgman now and really want the 650. I am 5'3'' tall. Did you decide on the 400 because of your height? Any advice?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts