Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently had a situation where i went down and got the bike back up, restarted and parked for while. had a spell of being under the weather, got over that and went out saturday the 9 of March. kept it started and ran every weekend between keeping the battery charged. simply starting and running the idle would be around a 1,000 rpm. i didn't think that was bad. yesterday went out for a short ride and found something not so good. just trying to go 35 mph rpm was hitting around 7-8,000 rpm. checked to see if it was in manual mode, it was not, it was in auto. also checked the power switch no differance. the emergency brake was off. the bike fell on it's right side. Lost with no answers will take any lead as what to look for. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Me again, with falling on it's right side could i have damaged the parking brake and that be causing a drag and the high RPM?

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
Check to see if the center stand is miss aligned and causing the switch to be stuck in the IN position. That little switch tells the computer that you are on both wheels and want to ride. Otherwise, the computer thinks its on the center stand and will keep it in 1st gear no matter how high you rev it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ty, I'll check on that although this happened on the road and the center stand was up but i'll surely look into that.

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
I edited my post above. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you, what exactly am i looking for. i know where the center stand is , please excuse my ignorance.

:thumbup:
Randy

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
Its a little push button type switch bolted onto the center stand. They can get gummed up or some have been bent. I think there a link in the knowledgebase ^ in the blue BURGMANUSA box above. Or on LeDude's pages, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EUw ... view?pli=1

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
I stole LeDudes photo.

[attachment=0:1yf8yb9v]Centerstand Switch.jpg[/attachment:1yf8yb9v]

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
rpmac3479 said:
thanks a lot. :thumbup:
Just curious.........Did you solve your problem of the transmission not shifting.???? AND..was it that centerstand switch??????

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i think the jury is in. I went and checked on the bike and found with the center stand up and in stowed position the button on the switch was all the way in. I took a flat tip screw driver and popped it out and noticed it was slightly bent and if i pushed it in it stayed in. also i found that the guard that goes around it had appearently gotten damaged when i went down and it appeared loose. So on closer examination it came off in my hand, whoooops! i don't think it's supposed to do that. now my concern is can the bike still function without the guard until i can replace it and to do so do i need to replace the center stand? :( :?:

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
You don't need to replace the centerstand. You may be able to straighten the switch and get it to work again. You can also just unplug the switch and the CVT will shift just fine until you get a replacement switch. However if you do this be aware that it will allow the CVT to upshiift and the rear wheel to spin faster when it is on the centerstand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is there a difference in switches from year to year? and can i still use the center stand with the guard missing in action? :?:

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
As far as I know the switches are the same for all years. It will work without the guard as long as the plate that pushes the plunger in is still there and lines up correctly with the plunger.

If you plan to replace the switch be aware that to get to the plug you will have to remove the plastic piece that includes the tunnel and floorboards. The new switch will include the wires up to the plug so you could just cut the wires and not worry about pulling the plastic untill you get the new switch.

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
If you were closer I'd reweld that guard on for ya and maybe add some later type mods to the stand.

There are water tight splice connectors that could be used if you want to temporly replace the old switch with a used one but don't want to remove all the tupperware. Why they put such long wires on items and put the connector far away so you have to remove so many body panels?????

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was talking about that with my cousin just a couple of hours ago. also specifically what was the guard for? will the center stand still function without the guard?
:wink:

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
If you look at that picture above, the guard protects the switch from road debris. Works 100% of the time, right? :D The stand and switch will function without it but I would want it there for long term.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:?: managed to get the switch out approx 1/4 of an inch, tried the bikebut still had a problem and went back to the garage to check the switch. got another 1/4 of an inch for a total of 1/2 of an inch. have yet to tr4y this latest adjustment. what is the full lingth of travel in the swith plunger? :?:

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
I have not measured but it seems that 1/2 to no more than 3/4 inch would be the norm. Like said, if all else fails, snip the wires and protect the harness sides ends.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
received the new switch friday and installed it sunday after my drill weekend. installation went fairly smoothly. unfortunatly the weather hear has not been very coopertive ffor a test ride. :?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts