Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 650 with 5000 miles on it. I'm used to the transmission whine so that's not what I'm referring to. This is a high pitched whine best heard at about 20mph holding steady speed.....anybody else have this? Were you able to get it stopped? My dealer says I should wear ear plugs while riding!!!!!! Would not let me talk to factory rep about it. I love this machine but will trade it if I can't get rid of that infernal horrible sound. People passing me in cars even wonder what it is....HELP!!!![/b]

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The whistling windshield is a known problem that a small percentage of owners have experienced; I'm not sure why only some Burgmans suffer from this, since all share the same design.

Another possiblity is a rear-wheel bearing failing. That's also a known problem with some 650s.

If it's loud enough for people in passing cars to hear, then it sounds more serious than just a windshield whistle.

I'd tell your dealer that "wearing earplugs" is not in the service manual under fixes. Don't let them put you off; if they can't tell you what it is then you should find a new dealer.

BTW, is this a new sound or has it done it since you first got it? Can you tell about where on the bike it's coming from?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a similiar problem sound on my 03 650 but mine was caused by the dealer but he wont admit his mechanics #$%^ up my scooter!!!! I brought my scoot in for the 600 mile "scam"service and theyforgot to refill the oil. By the time I noticed, it was too late ....the damage was already done. It works, but now I have a horrible whining sound when riding between 30 & 40mph!!!

JamesOTN said:
Have a 650 with 5000 miles on it. I'm used to the transmission whine so that's not what I'm referring to. This is a high pitched whine best heard at about 20mph holding steady speed.....anybody else have this? Were you able to get it stopped? My dealer says I should wear ear plugs while riding!!!!!! Would not let me talk to factory rep about it. I love this machine but will trade it if I can't get rid of that infernal horrible sound. People passing me in cars even wonder what it is....HELP!!!![/b]

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Is it coming from the passenger? :wink: :D :lol: :p

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
JamesOTN said:
Contact your local Better Business Bureau. Tell them you want to speak to a factory rep and the dealer won't let you. They will go to bat for you. You can also use Google to find Suzuki cutomer servide.

If the dealer can't fix it, then you have a right to pursue it with Suzuki.

Ken

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
A few nights ago I got the windshield whistle! :shock:

I washed my Burgman at the local coin-op car wash, and apparently the warm water caused some distortion in the windshield, and combined with the ambient temperature/humidity or something caused a whistle at 30 - 40 MPH.

It was much loader than I would have thought. Other members have reported this whistle, but having never actually heard it I was caught by surprise when it happened.

I found that if I pushed the top lip of the windshield forward about 1/2 inch the sound stopped.

The next morning the whistle was gone, and hasn't recurred. Considering the normal variances inherent in plastic windshields, I think adjusting the angle of the windshield with even small shims might be able to cure the problem for those who have it all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts