Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hear so much bad news about the CVT issue on the 03 and 04 models that I thought a thread documenting those with high mileage would be appropriate.

I'll admit, my motives are selfish.

I have a very nice Blue 03 with 12,500 miles that I'm planning on doing some touring with and I'd like a shot of confidence that it's not going to let me down in the next 15,000 miles or so.

To help it's longevity along, I've installed a Polish primary spline adapter and changed the wheel bearings over to SKF units.

So let's hear about those high miles early models.

I'd also be interested in hearing what types of repairs and maintenance were performed along the way.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Have you also replaced the soft stopper bolt with the new harder one yet?

Jim one of the other mods and My F.I.L. have 03's and have no problems so far. I'm sure there are others as well. IIRC Dave J and Farqhuarforever have had pre-05's that racked up considerable mileage as well.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the stopper bolt and it looks good, but I'm been planning on turning one up out of a class 12 socket cap screw to replace the original.

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
I checked the stopper bolt and it looks good, but I'm been planning on turning one up out of a class 12 socket cap screw to replace the original.
If you do turn one out on a lathe, I would make its tip a bit longer and fatter, so it will fit deeper and fuller in the groove. Then a bit of teflon coating may help.

I had 54,200 miles on my 03 650 when it devoloped a squalling noise. We were is the early days before the WHOLE world knew that the 650's had CVT issues. I parked it and bought a wrecked 08 and used all the parts from my 03 to put it on the road.

So I am not sure if I had a squalling CVT or was it the reduction transmission, where the noise seemed to be coming from.

Would I buy a high mileage 02-04 AN650? Yes if the price was low enough. I would then add a better primary adapter like the Polish unit or such.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The replacement stopper bolts are the new harder ones and they retail for $6.99. I just bought one in case I need one in the future. Mine has the harder bolt so I might never need it. I got it when I picked up one for my friend's 05.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
About 40K on my '03 and had 2 issues, with one that would have been a problem had I been a a road trip.

First was the clutch, at around 20K, but that was a gradual development over a few weeks, and my fault (oil issues).

2nd. at about 25K, was the cam chain tensioner. It was sudden with no warning. rare but it happens

I still would have no concerns taking it on a serious road trip of a week.

As for the CVT, I would not agonize about a rare maybe.

I don't, I Just Enjoy :)

P.S.
No Polish adapter, OEM stopper bolt, checked but never replaced.

·
Registered
193 Posts
53,000 miles on an '04 650 with lots of 7-10 day, 1200 to 2800 mile trips
two-up over the high Sierras in CA and across the length of Death Valley
and deserts of NV and UT.
Traded-in on a 2011 650 now with almost 11,000 miles.
Nothing more than normal maintenance: fluid changes, brake pads and
the like.
Take care of it, and it will take care of you.
GD;)

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
Somewhere in the stopper bolt posts one was measured and the hole was also. I am not sure. Bu I would just get a newer one than go thru the trouble.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
96,000km (~60k miles) on my '02 before my belt snapped, but those were pretty rough and ready miles. The B650 survived half a dozen desert crossings on sandy tracks) as well as a lot of other offroading, river crossings and daily commuting in stop/start traffic. When the belt snapped it was cheaper for me to replace it with a complete motor and drivetrain (from a 2008 ) than to purchase replacement CVT parts. The bike is still going strong and has now racked up over 80,000 miles but sadly, my commuting now takes places on my '08 Burgie whilst my offroading is on a KLR.

Other problems I had on my '02 were limited to wheel bearings and frame breakage (rear subframe and front fairing mounting frame) from racking up many miles on washboard surfaces.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as we're on the subject,..what's the story with the ignition switches on the 03's?

I understand that there's been a recall, but how many people have actually had problems with them?

I'd probably take mine in and get it done if the local service dept wasn't such a bunch of knotheads,...and it's been so long that I'm not even sure if they'd still do it.

Is there a time limit on getting a recall done by Suzuki?

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
Not sure on the time limit. But if you bought it used and do not know if the recall has been done, call your dealer and have them run the VIN.

The switch was defective and would burn out without warning. But all they did was undo the two security Torx screws and replace just the bottom part.

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
If I were building a Burgman using all years best parts, I would use a 02-04 engine because it has the larger Primary input splines, a 09+ CVT with a Polish adapter, 08+ Exec frame/wiring/throttle body and all Exec stuff. When stupid Suzuki made the 05 up primary output smaller it got weaker. You can put a 02-11 CVT in any year engine if you use the correct adapter for the engine.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
96,000km (~60k miles) on my '02 before my belt snapped, but those were pretty rough and ready miles.
Other problems I had on my '02 were limited to wheel bearings and frame breakage (rear subframe and front fairing mounting frame) from racking up many miles on washboard surfaces.
This man is incredibly humble. Your bike is an outlier due to being driving across Russia and Europe. Don't even attempt to wrap it in candy coating!

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
96,000km (~60k miles) on my '02 before my belt snapped, but those were pretty rough and ready miles. The B650 survived half a dozen desert crossings on sandy tracks) as well as a lot of other offroading, river crossings and daily commuting in stop/start traffic. When the belt snapped it was cheaper for me to replace it with a complete motor and drivetrain (from a 2008 ) than to purchase replacement CVT parts. The bike is still going strong and has now racked up over 80,000 miles but sadly, my commuting now takes places on my '08 Burgie whilst my offroading is on a KLR.

This man is incredibly humble. Your bike is an outlier due to being driving across Russia and Europe. Don't even attempt to wrap it in candy coating!
Gerry is about the only "NUT" that would even try riding a scooter across Europe and Russia. I'd still be in some Gulag in a back country village. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts