Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me there was a product on the market that you apply to the rear licence plate that makes it invisible to those pesky cameras mounted on top of traffic signals. Does anyone know the name of this product and where to find it.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Also not legal in some states.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm not going to comment one way or the other about either the legality or the effectiveness of this stuff, but if you wish to see for yourself, it can be found here:

http://www.phantomplate.com/products.html

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
plate recognition software are pretty advanced I've personally worked with it and there is very little chances with the top end devices anything will work, I know in some states of US the front plate is not enforced but in the rest of the world it is so, just passing along some info.

the one @ChipDoc mentioned is the most used for those who get tickets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They don't seem to enforce it much around WV. I see cars and trucks all the time with dark-tint "protective covers" on the plates. Even when I'm behind them at a stoplight in daylight I can hardly make out the numbers. Funny - I don't know of any stop light cameras anywhere near here.

·
Registered
753 Posts
They tried some stuff on Mythbusters a while back and try as they might they never could fool the camera. According to them, save your money.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I bought a remanufactured Garmin 2300LM for $79 and much to my surprise, it tells me when I approach a speed or red light camera. It eased my mind about those darned cameras. I had it on my scooter but put it in my car when the 650 I bought already had a Garmin installed.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I bought a remanufactured Garmin 2300LM for $79 and much to my surprise, it tells me when I approach a speed or red light camera. It eased my mind about those darned cameras. I had it on my scooter but put it in my car when the 650 I bought already had a Garmin installed.
right on, or use any smartphone with Waze.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I see cars and trucks all the time with dark-tint "protective covers" on the plates.
I see many newcomers just have their plates smudged with three layers of mud. No device on Earth would be able to guess the number :D

Those people had criminal past back in their countries, most habits were carried over. Govmnt simply doesn't care anymore as far as they bring fresh stream of cash with 'em also.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I was a bit interested in this product as the speed limit is 100KPH with a 4KPH allowance. (64.6MPH) on New Zealand open roads and 50kph (31MPH) in built up areas. If you get caught exceeding this then you can expect to receive in the mail a fine from $180.00 NZD ($150.00 USD) if caught by a speed camera. However the cost goes up dramatically if caught by a traffic officer with a laser with 3 tickets in a 2 year period causing a loss of licence for 12 months.

I did a bit of online searching and came up with this.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
50+ years of driving & never got a ticket..................Never said I never deserved one or two though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have received two tickets in my lifetime. One for doing a rolling stop and one for speeding. Both deserved and both over 25 years ago. I found the way to avoid tickets, just follow the driving laws. <shrug> Less fun, but less expensive.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have received two tickets in my lifetime. One for doing a rolling stop and one for speeding. Both deserved and both over 25 years ago. I found the way to avoid tickets, just follow the driving laws. <shrug> Less fun, but less expensive.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
I got my first speeding ticket a couple of months ago since the last one I got in 1968. Was driving my car and my mind wandered. 1/2 mile from where I grew up. However, in my defense, the speed limit was 55 back in the 60s and it is now 45 on a relatively straight road in the country.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Speed is determined under legal definition as time over distance which a camera cannot measure. So a camera photo is not legal evidence. A maxim of law is that a person accused has the right to cross examine his accuser. So when you are in court and the judge says yes when you ask if your entitled to face your accuser and before the prosecutor can say a word just say that as the camera is your accuser is it in court for you to cross examine. case dismissed. Our police in Australia are now publicly stating the cameras are about revenue not safety. We even had our limits lowed by 10kph to increase cash flow. They are on their way out of use as people start to challenge them.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Speed is determined under legal definition as time over distance which a camera cannot measure. So a camera photo is not legal evidence. A maxim of law is that a person accused has the right to cross examine his accuser. So when you are in court and the judge says yes when you ask if your entitled to face your accuser and before the prosecutor can say a word just say that as the camera is your accuser is it in court for you to cross examine. case dismissed. Our police in Australia are now publicly stating the cameras are about revenue not safety. We even had our limits lowed by 10kph to increase cash flow. They are on their way out of use as people start to challenge them.
That's not my experience here in Oz, Muse.

The camera measures time over distance by taking 2 photos, one after the other of the vehicle passing two points at a fixed distance apart. Distance travelled divided by time between photos gives you speed. As for them going out of use, that's just wishful thinking. There are more of the bastards installed every month in Victoria, and revenue is increasing accordingly.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
They use video down here and you can log onto the website with your ticket number and watch it online. It was a quick yellow and I captured the video (not easy to do from that site) in an attempt to demonstrate that the cycle of the yellow light was under 4 seconds. Turned out it was 4.1 seconds. Tuition in the School Of Hard Knocks was $150 that day.

As far as the plate goes, it was crystal clear in those images. There was no doubt whatsoever that it was me. Maybe the reflective spray would have worked, but I tend to think not, since I was heading into the setting sun and the system they were using didn't use flash.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It illegal here to cover plate with anything or modify plate somehow, that include mud, Vaseline, grease, spray product, paint, film, etc., law say plate must be readable all time under all condition.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Just have Q rig up a James Bond plate. DONE!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts