Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to set off on another long trip.

For some time, I've wondered what would happen if I came out my motel room in East Humpback County - and couldn't find my key. I have an extra key, but I keep it at home - where, of course, it would do me no good.

There are lots of places on my scoot to hide it - but I don't know of a good way to secure it so that does not fall off, does not get wet and is still hard to find.

Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I wouldn't suggest ANYWHERE on a public site.

Any ideas should be sent pm.

You NEVER know who's watching on -line.

just my take.....

davej :shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys - poor writing on my part.

I know where I want to hide the key.

I need ideas on how to secure it and waterproof it.

Wrap it in plastic? Two-sided tape? Magnet key holder? What the the best means to hide it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Comanche said:
Sorry guys - poor writing on my part.

I know where I want to hide the key.

I need ideas on how to secure it and waterproof it.

Wrap it in plastic? Two-sided tape? Magnet key holder? What the the best means to hide it?
I just use DucTape. Black if it's going on a black or hidden surface. I also carry a spare (w/o the magnetics) in my wallet. They have to grind the shoulders down to engage the trunk release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Davej said:
I wouldn't suggest ANYWHERE on a public site.

Any ideas should be sent pm.

You NEVER know who's watching on -line.

just my take.....

davej :shock:
The odds of this happening, and actually working are about the same as winning the lottery. lol. They would easily just load it in a van if they wanted it with no key.
PS, mine are in the ignition if anyone wants to know :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Comanche said:
I'm about to set off on another long trip.

For some time, I've wondered what would happen if I came out my motel room in East Humpback County - and couldn't find my key. I have an extra key, but I keep it at home - where, of course, it would do me no good.

There are lots of places on my scoot to hide it - but I don't know of a good way to secure it so that does not fall off, does not get wet and is still hard to find.

Any suggestions?
My locksmith gave me an excellent idea. Grind off the spare red plastic from the key to the Givi top box and tape it to the back of your drivers licence. The spare ignition key I taped under the mat I added to the Givi box so I wouldn't scratch my helmet.

Another good place is to tape the ignition key to the inside top of one of the storage bins between the glove box. If you use black plastic electrical tape it can't be seen even if you opened the door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Mike337 said:
Davej said:
I wouldn't suggest ANYWHERE on a public site.

Any ideas should be sent pm.

You NEVER know who's watching on -line.

just my take.....

davej :shock:
The odds of this happening, and actually working are about the same as winning the lottery. lol. They would easily just load it in a van if they wanted it with no key.
PS, mine are in the ignition if anyone wants to know :thumbup:

It was only a point of view !!!.........and lots of people win the lottery !!!!

Sometimes I wonder why I bother !!!
 

·
I'm Retired
Joined
·
9,364 Posts
Davej said:
...It was only a point of view !!!.........and lots of people win the lottery !!!!
Sometimes I wonder why I bother !!!
I can understand what you are saying, but logically, I don't think we need to worry...in this case. I've only heard of one owner having his Burgman stolen. Nothing was said about him having a key. It sounded like someone just hauled it away, although why, I don't know. :roll:

We all love our Burgmans. We searched out a Burgman forum because we love them. Have you ever tried to sell one though? It isn't that easy. There are a few of us who appreciate what a Burgman scooter will do for you...and the rest won't even take the time to walk over to look at your bike. So if someone was to steal it...who would they fence it to? That's why it always helps to protect your bike by parking next to a Hayabusa.

Likewise, how many Burgman scooters do you see around? I can go months without seeing a Burgman scooter here in the Seattle area. So if someone is going to read how to make an emergency trunk release and get the idea to steal one that way...good luck finding a Burgman to steal. Plus, the other Burgman owners around here probably aren't members of BUSA and haven't thought of making an emergency trunk release. It really lessens the odds a lot.

Your caution is good... :) In this case, the benefit of having others learn of an option for that time when they close their seat and lock their keys in...while 500 miles away from home...is worth it IMHO.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Likewise, how many Burgman scooters do you see around? I can go months without seeing a Burgman scooter here in the Seattle area.

I went on a ride last week. We had ten Burgman 650's!! This is with a group of retired people in Fort Myers Beach, Florida. Which goes to prove Burgmans are very popular with Senior Citizens. It's amazing how each bike is customized differently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Good point Chris, but to add a little more infomation for the OP, hear is what I found with a quick search for "emergency trunk release". The search box can be your friend. :thumbup:
search.php?keywords=emergency+trunk+release
 

·
I'm Retired
Joined
·
9,364 Posts
Marv said:
Likewise, how many Burgman scooters do you see around? I can go months without seeing a Burgman scooter here in the Seattle area.

I went on a ride last week. We had ten Burgman 650's!! This is with a group of retired people in Fort Myers Beach, Florida. Which goes to prove Burgmans are very popular with Senior Citizens. It's amazing how each bike is customized differently.
Yes, but you live in Florida where all the retired people live. :) I live in Seattle, home of Micro$oft where the young programmers buy Ducatis, and Porsche's are their commuter cars.

Chris
 

·
I'm Retired
Joined
·
9,364 Posts
I got surprised this afternoon. I was going out to take a picture of mine and found to my shock and surprise that I hadn't made the mod yet on the 2008 400. I had on the 2007 400, but I've been assuming (wrongly) that it was on the newer one too.

So, I did it this afternoon. It's the easiest assurance of not being stranded when you lock your keys in the trunk.

I keep a spare key in a bag along with my registration and insurance. It's just a sandwich bag, but has a good seal to keep out the elements.

[attachment=7:1vjofi1j]P1040521.JPG[/attachment:1vjofi1j]

There's lots of ways to do this. I found a black wire tie works well. As another "tip", I recommend doing this soon after buying your Burgman 400...and before you add a top box and 3rd brake light. Then you don't have to take all that off again. :)

Here's what you want to look for. I used a 14mm wrench to remove the single bolt holding the lock on and turned the lock so you can see what to attach the wire tie to.

[attachment=6:1vjofi1j]P1040522.JPG[/attachment:1vjofi1j]
[attachment=5:1vjofi1j]P1040523.JPG[/attachment:1vjofi1j]

Here's what it will look like once you reinstall the lock.
[attachment=4:1vjofi1j]P1040525.JPG[/attachment:1vjofi1j]

Now here is what it looks like once completed.
[attachment=3:1vjofi1j]P1040527.JPG[/attachment:1vjofi1j]
[attachment=2:1vjofi1j]P1040528.JPG[/attachment:1vjofi1j]
[attachment=1:1vjofi1j]P1040530.JPG[/attachment:1vjofi1j]
[attachment=0:1vjofi1j]P1040529.JPG[/attachment:1vjofi1j]

If you didn't know what you were looking for, you wouldn't know what that is for.

You could also route the wire tie or lanyard behind the panel that is between the rear tail lights.

Chris
 

Attachments

·
Administrator
Joined
·
18,389 Posts
Daboo said:
I live in Seattle, home of Micro$oft where the young programmers buy Ducatis, and Porsche's are their commuter cars. Chris

And the Pizza Hut delivery drivers ride in Infinity G37's or M3 BMW's. I work up in those neighbor hoods. No Burgmans in the 1000's of garages I go into. I know of a 3 car garage that has 1 Atom Ariel, 1 Bugatti Veyron, 1 "REAL" Shelby Cobra, 1 MV Agusta 1000 bike and 2 Ducati bikes. Outside is parked a Porsche Panamera and a Subaru STI.

I could leave my key in the ignition up there for days, I'd almost bet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67 Posts
I used a LARGE safety pin to secure my extra key inside an inner pocket in my riding jacket.
I never had to use the extra key but it was good to know where it could be found.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
I was a M/C ins. adjuster before I retired and handled thousands of theft claims. 90 percent of them did not involve a key. The pros just drive up in a van or box truck and haul them away in seconds. They usually case a location where they see a bike parked every day or night and come between 2AM and 5AM to steal it. The bike is then usually broken down for parts. Very few of them are ever recovered.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tomgin said:
I was a M/C ins. adjuster before I retired and handled thousands of theft claims. 90 percent of them did not involve a key. The pros just drive up in a van or box truck and haul them away in seconds. They usually case a location where they see a bike parked every day or night and come between 2AM and 5AM to steal it. The bike is then usually broken down for parts. Very few of them are ever recovered.
Okay - I know I am changing the topic. Mod - if you want to move it, that's okay.

I'd be curious to know more about motorcycle theft in general - and maxi-scooter theft in particular.

I don't have a garage - I live in a place that is warm year round (except in the summer when it is very hot.) I park my scooter under cover and I use a heavy-duty cable lock to secure it to the porch. I also use the fork lock to be sure a thief can't just roll the bike into a truck.

When I am traveling, I try to secure my bike the same way outside the motel - locked to some permanent structure and front wheel locked.

My worry is not the theft of the bike to resell or to strip down for parts. Scooters have no cache at all with most bike riders. The kids in my area wouldn't be caught dead on a scooter. However, I do fear vandalism - steal the bike, ride the snot out of it, then push it over a cliff or into a swimming pool.

So - what percentage of maxi-scooters are stolen? Vandalized? Have any tips on securing our bikes at home if you don't have a garage? How about securing the bike while traveling?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
If they want it they will take it. No if's and's or but's !

I saw two HD's chained together one year in Daytona ( that's a lot of weight) guy's drove up in a truck , four of them jumped out , slid two lengths of pipe in the frames of the bikes , then picked them up chained together and put them in a truck and drove off . Must have taken all of less than a minute total.
Again , if they want them they will take them.

Having lost a key on a trip years ago , I don't leave home without my spare, I keep it in a jacket pocket or clipped to my belt.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top