Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having problems finding that sidestand?

After my first ride I had to have my kid tell me where it was because I could not see it from where I was sitting. He told me where it was and then to reach it I had to turn my foot inward in order for front of my shoe to push down on it.

Do you all think I might be batty if I think the sidestand should have a bit longer kicker on it so it can be found easier when trying to deploy it?

I just want to be able to put my foot down, find the sidestand and push. I don't want to have to fumble my foot around trying to find the correct twisted position, trying to remember where that thing is hidden under the foot pad.

Maybe its me. And if its not, might anyone know how to add on an extention to the sidestand kicker?

·
Registered
83 Posts
captainfish said:

. . .

Maybe its me. And if its not, might anyone know how to add on an extention to the sidestand kicker?
I had difficulty at first, as I did when I shifted to my Sprint from my K12RS, and as I did when I shifted to the K12RS from the K75.

After a month and roughly 1300 miles, I don't have any problem finding the sidestand. I'd suggest giving it time.

Greg

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just one of those things, after 2 years on my BMW I still have trouble with the kick stand, From day one, the Burgman has just fallen right were it should be. :)
I guess time will help you get use to it, me I just lift my foot and slide it back & down and the stand goes down. Don't even have to think about it.
Now if I could just put my finger on the horn and turn signal with out looking . :(

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
After about eight or ten beers, that lil rascal is really hard to find. :drunken:

Naaaw - just kidding - sometimes it takes a couple of feels ta find it.

too bad it isn't pnuematically smacked out to the down position with another switch on the controls! :D Marked "Landing Gear"

:wink:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just drag my foot off the edge of the floor board, and there it is.

On a related subject, I've noticed a lot of bikers bolt on metal plates to the bottom of the stand, so that the bike won't sink into the dirt/gravel/asphalt .
Any thoughts about this?

·
Registered
969 Posts
ABQ said:
I just drag my foot off the edge of the floor board, and there it is.

On a related subject, I've noticed a lot of bikers bolt on metal plates to the bottom of the stand, so that the bike won't sink into the dirt/gravel/asphalt .
Any thoughts about this?
Oh! Come! On!

All that sinking is part of the fun of owning a big, heavy bike! :)

Steve

·
Registered
367 Posts
THIS was the cause of one of my laying down of my wonderful fat assed Burgman! :roll:
I parked in my bank's parking lot, caught just enough of the stand to kill the motor and THOUGHT that I had it down!!!! :cry:

NOT!!! :oops:

I had done just enough to turn off the bike and with the limited visiblity of my helmet and my lack of previous embaressing experience, I and I might add very confidently, laid my Burgman down on the parking lot!!! :oops: :oops:

Other than my ego and some scratches WE over came the problem and it is amazing how fast I can get that sucker up when I am embrassed!!! :x

Fortunately I am a fast learner and it only takes one fugicule for me to learn! I hope!!!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
ABQ said:
Any thoughts about this?
A friend of mine uses those free AOL disks you can find EVERYWHERE to put under his sidestand as needed. Here in hot AZ, you can sink into the asphalt pretty easily on a hot day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I carry a hunk of wood about 8" x 8" and 1/4 inch thick in the trunk. Just slide it under the kickstand when I think there is a chance of sinking. Also keeps the owners of the parking lot where I work happy that I'm not putting holes in it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
At the prison where I work, they've painted white squares on the asphalt in the m/c parking area. They don't seem to heat up as readily as the rest of the lot.

Steve

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pete said:
...too bad it isn't pnuematically smacked out to the down position with another switch on the controls! :D Marked "Landing Gear"

:wink:

HEYYYYYY.... I like that IDEA!! :idea: :idea:
You know, it could be spring activated. You put the kickstand up and it retracts a spring, locking it into place. When you hit the switch, it releases the latch and voila', the stand is pulled into position.

Naahhhh,,, ... I like the pneumatic piston idea better. Now if we can just mod our bikes so they bounce up and down like those cars in S. California.

Thanks all. :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
How to:

Engage the kickstand on AN650K?

Step 1 - Bring scooter to a complete stop on relatively level paved surface. Ensure that feet are firmly planted on both sides of scooter to avoid tippage ('four-point position', consisting of both tires and both feet - most stable of pre-kickstand deployment positions).
Note: If level surface is temporarily unavailable, attempt, if possible, to maintain an uphill attitude when parking.
Step 2 - Engage parking brake (this step is most essential when parking with a downhill attitude - See Step 1 Note).
Step 3 - While holding either brake lever in full stop position, rotate key anti-clockwise to de-energize engine.
Step 4 - While gently leaning scooter to right ('three-point position', care must be exercised to avoid spillage), place left heel in forward footboard cutout position, level, or relatively so, with top of cutout.
Step 5 - Firmly sweep left foot down and forward, slight resistance should be felt when heel contacts kickstand heel loop. Continue downward and forward arcing motion until motion is impeded (this is due to a built-in 'stop'), bringing kickstand into full downward and forward position.
Step 6 - Place feet in 'four-point' position, and gently bring scooter back to upright. Visually recheck kickstand position.
Step 7 - Continue leftward motion of scooter until kickstand makes contact with pavement.
Step 8 - Carefully disembark scooter. Reevaluate new 'three-point' position to ensure scooter stability.
Step 9 - Go on with your life.

Hope that helps! :D

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Thanks Steve.
Kickstand 101.
That's a good thing.

:wav:

I like the carefully part in step eight....

I might have not none put better as well.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
ABQ said:
Any thoughts about this?
I carry a small metal plate (approx. 4" x 4" and 1/8" thick) in my 650's glove compartment to put under the kickstand on soft ground or asphalt in hot weather. It has a small hole drilled in one corner with about 5' of sturdy string tied thru the hole.
When parking on a problem surface I don't have to get off the bike to put the plate under the kickstand. I just use the string to drop the plate on the ground near the stand and use my foot to slide it directly under the stand's foot before leaning the bike on the stand. Then I just loop the end of the string around the handgrip.
When I'm ready to leave, I just mount the bike, bring it up off of the stand and use the string to pull the plate up. I wrap the string around the plate and put it back in the glove compartment. Simple and effective.

Don

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
As others have said, it's just a matter of time/familiarity.

If, after a few weeks, you still have trouble with it, then adding an extension wouldn't be too hard for someone with some welding experience. The same gauge of wire, painted black, could be shaped to look natural with the OEM side-stand extension.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It took me a little while to get used where the side stand is on the B650. On my B400 you can see where the sidestand sticks out, but the B650 is so lardy the sidestand gets hidden underneath.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just put your foot where the running board narrows down and it's right there. If you kind of twist your foot up and inward you'll catch the loop on the side of the kickstand and you'll have no problem finding it.

WLB :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts