Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing about riders being locked out of their bikes I thought of a good place to hide a key in the Burgman. Since I need two keys for my bike. An ignition key and a Givi top box key I had to find a safe place. The ignition key I put under the mat I placed in the Givi box so I wouldn't scratch my helmet. The Givi key I taped inside under the top of the right side glove box with black electrical tape. It is invisible unless you know it's there. Having them at home in a safe place isn't going to do me any good if I lose my keys on the road.

I tell you guys this knowing you're all honest and besides it' a big country and you don't know where I am!!!

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
I put one in a box on top of the ignition switch. So if somebody takes the dash apart they will not need to cut wires and total the wiring harness. :thumbup:

·
Registered
748 Posts
My spare is on the brake line up above the front tire, but I can save you some time if you just use the one in the ignition :thumbup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine came with a special hidden kill switch. Even if I leave the key in, the thieves need to put the kickstand up BEFORE it will start. Foils them every time.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Under the pillion rubber floor-board mats works for me. 8)
Doesn't everybody leave their house keys under their door mat anyways? :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Try taking off the maintenance cover and tie wrap a key to the frame. Usw, you can find a screwdriver from someone or maybe you always carry your Swiss Army knife. Your only problem may be if you lock the ignition shutter (i usw do this) before losing your keys. The key would have to be one of the two originals that came with the bike.

I had this on my '08 but installed a hidden pull wire attached to the seat latch on my '11. I keep an original key and spare house key in the seat trunk. You can find a how to on this site.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Godzilla Bobber said:
Mine came with a special hidden kill switch. Even if I leave the key in, the thieves need to put the kickstand up BEFORE it will start. Foils them every time.

:D :D :D
I disabled that "hidden" kill switch..........the 1st week that I had my 400.......! Got any other ideas..??????? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have done the emergency trunk release mod on mine. I leave a spare key to my Givi topbox in a "not too obvious" place under the seat. My E52 has a red document holder (at least I think that is what it is intended to be used for) clipped under the lid of the topbox and that is where I have put my spare ignition key.

Thankfully, I haven't needed to use the spare ignition key as yet!!!!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Just tie a spare key on your boot laces.

Marv said:
After hearing about riders being locked out of their bikes I thought of a good place to hide a key in the Burgman. Since I need two keys for my bike. An ignition key and a Givi top box key I had to find a safe place. The ignition key I put under the mat I placed in the Givi box so I wouldn't scratch my helmet. The Givi key I taped inside under the top of the right side glove box with black electrical tape. It is invisible unless you know it's there. Having them at home in a safe place isn't going to do me any good if I lose my keys on the road.

I tell you guys this knowing you're all honest and besides it' a big country and you don't know where I am!!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marv said:

Well.....it sounded like a good idea but the key hidden in the glove box got all gooey and fell out of the top of the place I hid it.

Now for my plan B. Take the Givi key to a locksmith and make a new FLAT key and put in your wallet. No one rides without a wallet. You will always have your emergency key with you while riding.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Marv said:
...No one rides without a wallet. You will always have your emergency key with you while riding.
:lol: ...except when you put your wallet into the trunk when you filled up with gas, then left it there when you parked later. Yes, I've done that. Luckily, I stopped before locking the keys in with it.

Chris

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Daboo said:
Marv said:
...No one rides without a wallet. You will always have your emergency key with you while riding.
:lol: ...except when you put your wallet into the trunk when you filled up with gas, then left it there when you parked later. Yes, I've done that. Luckily, I stopped before locking the keys in with it.

Chris
Ah, but don't you leave the original key in the gas cap when you buy gas? So even if your wallet was locked in the trunk you would still have the other key in the gas cap.

I can't picture locking both the wallet and the keys in the trunk. If I ever did something like that I would be too ashamed to tell anyone. Maybe you should have a THIRD key hidden on the bike?
(Just joking)

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
It is far easier to add a lanyard to open the seat and I keep spare key under the seat. it is very hard to see the lanyard even if you know it is there. On my 650 I had a wire with a lug at the end so it looked like a loose wire when you did find it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just carry my spare key in my zipper pouch inside my belt-chain-attached motorcycle wallet. Unless they get my pants they won't get my key. Old-school , I guess. The Don

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If anyone is really worried about locking up or losing the ignition key - Just tuck one under your helmet liner with duct tape......!! "NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!"

·
Registered
280 Posts
given all the details you have posted i think i can find you within a week port charlotte is not that big LOL but a great idea so as to not get stuck matey.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts