Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So an interesting discussion today with the dealer in Contra Costra county -

Dealer says "So you were wanting to install HIDs... I dont recommend it because we wont be responsible for your battery flatting...

We will fit it if you want.. (four hours of labour at $92 an hour!) but we will need you to sign a disclaimer, as they flat batteries.. this always happens because they draw so much, and your engine needs to be permanently above 3000rpm... below that, its just draining your battery.. I have seen so many cases of these cheap units from China killing batteries"...

Etc. etc.

So this morning, my DDM HID kit arrives - DDM ship it straight from China. It was not terribly well packaged. It IS cheap, but the kit looks like OEM quality parts - for China.

It IS hardly like Philips or Bosch or other expensive Euro parts of course, but then again, I am sure that Chinese outfits supply most other mid range or cheap cars out there.

1) Is this really a risk?
2) Is it really a 4 hour fitting time for a professional outfit with all the tools? I have no tools, and little electrical experience - let alone the time to do it in the first place.

Got the Red high output 360 degree LED Rear stop bulbs from DDM too (also in the box couriered from China)..

Cheers aye..

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Re: HID installation - or not to install DDM- posted from Ch

It could take 4 hours if you do it right. Less, if you don't.

Your biggest problem will be to figure out where to put the ballasts. You'll also have to work out the wiring bundles to keep them from getting caught in the front forks.

The other problem I found is when I plugged in the simple bulb replacements and then had to adjust the headlights. HID lights (without projectors) don't put the light output in the same place as the halogen bulb the reflector is designed for. The result is a lot of light spraying off where you don't want it. For instance, you'll light up the freeway signs a couple lanes away...and the driver coming toward you. It would've been easier if I didn't live on a hill, but after adjusting them (which is very awkward) I would ride my 400 down the road to check them out. Ride it back home. Adjust them again. Check them down the road again, etc. It was very time consuming. But I didn't want to blind other drivers. I don't like it when it is done to me, so why inflict it on someone else?

The road I picked was one with little traffic, so I could leave the bike running and then walk out ahead of the bike and see just how much glare there was. Like I said, doing it right could take 4 hours.

Of course you could slap them in and blind everyone on the road coming toward you. Some people do. Just hope it isn't the local LEO you blind. ;) He might do more than just curse you as you go by.

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi there, thanks for the input. I am aware that the bulbs and the angle need adjusting.

I am asking if they will drain the battery in any shape or form.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts

They use less wattage so they couldn't.

Chris

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

Cheekygrin73 said:
Hi there, thanks for the input. I am aware that the bulbs and the angle need adjusting.

I am asking if they will drain the battery in any shape or form.
Your EOM headlamp bulbs are 55 watt and all the HIDs are 35 watts..........SO- the answer is - NO.! AND........from what I have read, the DDM HID kit is a piece of crap for $49.00. I just replaced my stock headlamps with HIDs on my Goldwing GL1800 (and never having done it before!) It took me 2 hours. 1 1/2 hours for the first one and 1/2 hour for the second.........!! Four hours labor at the dealer..?????? :withstupid:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts