Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a mitch video in which he installed a turn signal gizmo. Cool.

But his headlights were bright white. :) I like them.

Can you install HID (is that what they are) headlights as is, or do you have to do other mods for Burger 400?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I tried the HID headlights as is...and decided to take them out. Still have them in the garage. They did a nice job of illuminating the road...and the treetops...and the freeway signs 3 lanes over. Mitch has taken his headlight reflectors apart and put in a HID projector, then resealed the headlight reflector. It's the only way to do it and not cause problems for other drivers. In either case (projector or straight plug in), you'll have to make some connections for the additional wiring. The hardest part is finding a good location for the ballast they use.

I had to spend a lot of time adjusting mine down to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. If you just pop them into the existing headlight bulb socket, they will be too high.

One thing that I would think about if considering HID headlights is the effect you have of a lot of light up close causing your pupils to close down. It's counter-productive because what you need to see is really in the dark area beyond the headlight cutoff...and now that is potentially blacker than it would've been with a good pair of headlights. The effect to me is like going on a camping trip. You decide to walk around the campground with your flashlight. You can see really well within the flashlight beam, but everything else outside of that beam is swallowed up in darkness. If you left the flashlight off, at least with a full moon, you can see a lot once your eyes adjust. And it isn't just what is in front of you, but the area farther out.

I also did some comparison of light patterns on the freeway of cars that had HID headlights and those without. The HID headlights were brighter within the light pattern, but they didn't do anything magical like light the road farther than my own car did.

Chris

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the info.
Are there any replacement bulbs that would result in an improvement? So I could just take out the stock ones and install new ________ bulbs.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You might wish to look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58480

I want to use the Philips Motovision lights because of that distinct orange look...but I can't get over how much more light seems to be coming out on the XP Moto.

Candlepower, Inc. has a sale on the XP Moto with a rebate.

There's a new lightbulb Philips has put out that is supposedly even brighter called the X-treme Vision. eBay has some on sale for a reasonable price.

Chris

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Instead of trying to "Mickey Mouse" a set of HID's....Just add auxillary lights..much easier and REALLY does provide much more light.........!!

I have installed a set od Denali LED lights on the front fender......... from: http://www.twistedthrottle.com About $300.00 and work just fantastic too!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
v8eyedoc, do you have any clearance problems with the denali lights, as in full left or right lock of the front wheel?
I tried with a smaller set of driving lights mounted on the fender mounting screws and they interfered at hard wheel lock.
I ended up drilling extra holes further forward on the fenders, so as not to hit the front tupperware on each side

Paul

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Luigi said:
v8eyedoc, do you have any clearance problems with the denali lights, as in full left or right lock of the front wheel?
I tried with a smaller set of driving lights mounted on the fender mounting screws and they interfered at hard wheel lock.
I ended up drilling extra holes further forward on the fenders, so as not to hit the front tupperware on each side

Paul
Hi Paul......Before I mounted them on the fender IN FRONT OF THE FENDER MOUNTING SCREWS - I took the time to measure and also looked in the owner's manual under "SPECIFICATIONS" to see what the full amount of front fork travel is.!!! This is the 2nd fender on which I mounted them - as the first one cracked from flexing right thru the light-mounting bolt......hole....!!! I now have a short length of rigid rubber tubing which fits over the light mounting bolt and rests on the lower fork to prevent any flexing of the fender from the added weight of the lights......... The lights are NOT attached directly to the fender either, but what I did was to buy some of the zinc coated strap - and mounted that to the fender and the lights on the other end - just drilled holes in the strap material and cut it to size....!

Paul - I will take a photo of the new setup and post it........so you can see exactly what I did...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Daboo said:
You might wish to look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58480

I want to use the Philips Motovision lights because of that distinct orange look...but I can't get over how much more light seems to be coming out on the XP Moto.

Candlepower, Inc. has a sale on the XP Moto with a rebate.

There's a new lightbulb Philips has put out that is supposedly even brighter called the X-treme Vision. eBay has some on sale for a reasonable price.

Chris
High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) is a type of lighting technology that replaces the filament of the light bulb with Xenon gas. The gas is ignited to produce an arc of light, when high voltage is applied. The amount of light output is three times that of a standard halogen bulb. The lamps also glow at a higher light temperature (closer to natural sunlight) that gives it its distinct color and appearance.

But because of the shape of the HID lamp and the fact that there is also NO filament.....The stock headlamp reflector is not suitable for proper road illumination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts