Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there fellow Burgman riders,

My name is Scott from the great land of theme parks and 365 fun, Orlando! I've been riding scooters for about 5 years now. Rode a 50cc HerChee Chinese bike for about a year and a half. Loved it and loved getting 97mpg. Just didn't love not being able to get around Orlando. (For those of you not familiar with the central Florida area, you really need to be able to drive on Interstate 4 to be able to get around and actually have a social life within the city.)

I finally decided to go for a bigger bike. Bought a 250cc Apollo by Puma Cycles. This was a cheap stop gap measure to buy me some time before I could afford the Honda Silverwing that I had been drooling over. This was a huge mistake, however, as I started to have problems with this poorly engineered machine. (If you want full details, that is a story for another time.)

With a faster bike, I was then able to get around the interstate system and was now able to attend the weekly meeting of the Orlando Scooter Society (http://www.orlandoscootersociety.com/) that I'd been hearing about for many months. It was here that I was introduced to the Suzuki Burgman! <Angelic choir singing> I knew this was the bike I wanted.

I rode the Apollo (and my 50cc bike during the many times when the Apollo was in the shop) for about six months before the Apollo's breaks went out coming up on a stop light while driving to work. I found myself trying to stop with my feet much like Fred Flintstone and ended up 15 feet into the middle of the intersection. I miraculously made it to work safely and when I came home and recounted the failed break story to my roommate he asked me to show him on the internet this fabled Brugman of which I has been speaking for some time.

I pulled up the Burgman on the Central Florida Powersports website and as we ogled the pictures of this fine piece of machinery, we both noticed at the advertisement window at the bottom of the screen...
...SPECIAL--$0 down and 0.00% financing for 5 years on select Suzuki motorcycle purchases until May 31st...​
<Angelic choir voices!!!>

It was May 30th. I turned to my roommate and asked him what he was doing tomorrow. His response, "I think I'm driving you to Central Florida Powersports!" Right answer, WOOHOO! We went down the next day and I have been happily riding my pearl white 2012 Burgman 650 Executive ever since. Incidentally, since he was the beautiful pearl white, I decided to name him Jack Frost.

I have made a few additions over the course of the past couple of years. Like the velcro attached bobble head of R2-D2. (Everybody needs an astormech droid! ;)) And as I have always wanted to take some extended cross country trips, I needed to have more luggage capacity. So I added the Givi E55 Maxia top case and Givi E41 side cases. The top case I mounted with the Givi top case mounting plate for Burgmans and I've been riding around with for about a year and a half. But the side cases I was only able to install in the last couple of months after searching for (and being able to afford) proper side racks. I wound up purchasing side racks from Kiwi Dave (here is his website: https://sites.google.com/site/suzukiburgmansidecaseracks/home and a link to the review on LeDude's Burgman Center Blog http://ledudeburgmancenter.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-kiwi-daves-case-mounts.html). Kiwi Dave's side racks are pretty much awesome. Now I have much the same luggage capacity as my roommate's car!

One of the best improvements for overall riding comfort was the MRA X-Creen Tour Clamp-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension. I am of sufficient sitting height that the draft from the windscreen used to hit in the middle of my helmet creating quite the din in my ears. With the X-Creen, wind noise is virtually eliminated.

I have plans to keep improving Jack Frost. AdMore lighting for the Givi cases and a bigger/better R2-D2 mounted to my top case. I've even given some thought to more LED running lights and a possible cruise control system. Of course, the biggest addition to the bike would be the purchase of a Uni-Go trailer for my bike. Talk about luggage space!

In our time together, Jack Frost and I have made two trips to Biloxi, MS; one to Daytona Beach, FL; several to the Kennedy Space Center and countless jaunts across the greater Orlando metropolitan area. Jack is my workhorse and my only vehicle. As of this introductory post, we've racked up 21,844 miles at an average of 51.33 mpg.

See you around Orlando!
Scott

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's a great ride. You'll love it! Aloha.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Enjoy the Burgman because you're in a great location. Close to the east or west coast for those great beach rides. Head north and do the Ocala National Forest or Panhandle of Fl. Then head south and tour around the Big "O" Okeechobee or head down to the Everglades and keep going and do the Keys.

Burgmans are GREAT! John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts