Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all Burgie riders...& everyone on 2 (or 3) wheels. I've been away from BUSA for a few years for one reason or another but yesterday I rode my new 2013 silver/black 400 (on which I got a stinkin' good deal, btw) home from the dealer, about a 55-mile trip. Today I ordered a Givi 266DT shield (yes, the AF266 looks sweet, but it's $110 more than I paid for a new DT...WITH mounting kit included) and a Beadrider, thereby addressing the two biggest issues.
I owned an '07 Exec, the only bike of maybe 12 that I've owned which I regretted selling. Having had my personal clock turn over on 6 decades a couple weeks ago, and having researched the h--l out of both the 650 & the 400, I decided the little guy is plenty good for me. I'm happy to report that the ride home proved me right; all the "go" I want & plenty comfy (well, aside from that seat and 'shield). Of course it had to rain on me and I had no problems, stayed pretty much dry...although after sitting at a red light and getting a little moist and then toodling along at 40mph, it felt really good; here in Houston it's been, well, summer in Houston (and boy do I look forward to the Beadrider's air flow!).
As far as break-in, I fall into the "ride it like you're gonna ride it" camp and didn't baby the thing; about 4000 rpm straight off a stop (no "slipping" of the belt and hopefully minimal resultant glazing of the variator(s) and away we go...but not TOO quickly. Seemed about right to me, very comfy-feeling. And yes, there were a couple of freeway sprints up to maybe 70 mph...but for the most part I was a good boy and didn't try to trash the thing. So far so good, time will tell. And BTW the 400 felt smoother and more settled at 70 than it does at 55...a good sign that my 22-mile freeway commute to work will be easy-breezy for "Thumper", as I'm naming the little Burgie.
And now I hear thunder in the distance, which can only mean...it's time to scoot! See you on the road somewhere I hope. I'm happy to re-join this wonderful company. Stay safe and thanks everyone.

JB

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
JB, welcome to the Burg family again. I wish we could get some of that rain near Lake Conroe. My weather station is showing 106F with a heat index of 116. Far too hot for this 7 decade old man. I am ready for some fall temps so I can get back on my 650. It is feeling jilted as I have not rode it in 6 or 7 weeks. I may have to get up early one morning and ride just to make the Burg feel better.:D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
hey man, good choice, now just ride & enjoy!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Nice...Stay Cool!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I followed yesterday's orders with another today, a Bearcat backrest.
By tomorrow, all 3 items should be en route (givi shield, beadrider &
backrest). No more spending now for a (short?) while, lol! Having a
blast on Thumper despite the insane temps and humidity. I'll try to get
pics posted soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You mention you ordered a backrest, is it a true backrest or just the buttrest? I need a full backrest for my 08 burgy 400, but haven't been able to find one. Only a buttrest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Bearcat is, as I understand it, an Isuzu headrest that's been tweaked to fit into the holes soon to be vacated by the stock buttrest. Many members rave about 'em.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am recently retired fro driving a semi cross country. I live near Nashville Tn. I just purchased a 2009 Burgman 400 with 2,000 miles on it. I also just completed the MSF safety class. So looking forward to learning and enjoying it, as soon as I get recovered from my recent surgery. Thanks to all, in advance, for Your help and understanding of a... NEW... OLD... guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts