Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be picking up my Burgman 650 and ride it down from Conneticut in three days...which should win me iron-butt or just butt-head certification.

Was going to go to Pennsylvania first but now it is more likely I will spend Thursday in Washington DC to pay tribute to Reagan. :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
lifegetter said:
Will be picking up my Burgman 650 and ride it down from Conneticut in three days...which should win me iron-butt or just butt-head certification.

Was going to go to Pennsylvania first but now it is more likely I will spend Thursday in Washington DC to pay tribute to Reagan. :wink:
Yes, welcome to the forum. I know that you will find it both useful and enjoyable.

I lived in California for one year when Ronald Regan was governor of that state. He was tough back then on many issues. Interesting that they now have another movie actor for governor. I think Mr Reagan was also a good president. May he rest in peace.

I was born in Connecticut, and lived there for many years. I once rode a 1967 Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler (250cc 2-stroke motorcycle) from San Angelo, Texas to Middletown, Connecticut. I was young, poor, in the Air Force, and had to get the bike & I back home at the end of my duty tour in Texas. I was dressed for August in Texas. When I hit Ohio, the temperature dropped into the 30's. Ouch! I couldn't afford much, so I went into a store and bought three sweatshirts which I layered under my windbreaker. Then my engine seized at 60 mph going through the Pennsylvania mountains... Melted the rings on one of the pistons. After it cooled off, I started it back up and finished the trip. Hopefully your trip will be more pleasant than that one! Best of luck, and be sure to give us a report when you get home!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Paul, I will be extra careful. The purpose of getting a burgman is for crosscountry fun and not for becoming an organ donor.

Now I know all about freewheeling, rain, and temperature, I am ready for the 1800 mile trip. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
How about arranging for 1st service somewhere in the middle of the journey
or sooner, so you can get fresh oil at the very least.
There's a Suzuki dealer in Washington, Missouri (west of saint louis)
that's off I-44 (J&W 636/239-5575). They adjusted my GSX1100 valves while
I waited, back in '95. If they know you're coming, It'll be easier.

While touring years ago, I bought a plastic oil pan at a parts store and had a filter and wrenches with me.
After I changed the oil I gave everything to a used oil station
and rode on.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
ajwood wrote
How about arranging for 1st service somewhere in the middle of the journey
or sooner, so you can get fresh oil at the very least.
Good point, he needs that first service since it's a new machine and a long trip :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually...it is a 2003 with about 2600 miles on it. The machine has been serviced at 600 miles, so I figure it will be ready for Rotella synthetic when I make the grand entrance into Houston at about 4500. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts