Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,288 Posts
I totally understand going to LESS bike weight as we age. Btw way back when I lived near Des Moines airport, I rode 250 Yamaha dirt bike on land bordering airport. Great fun.
Now that land bordering the airport IS the airport. In the last 25 years they kept expanding and re-routed a few main roads through the area to enable the runways to be pushed way out west and south almost double what they were 30 years ago. I used to work at the Air Guard station there on weekends and was rather familiar with that area, though more familiar with West Des Moines where I live.

Reactions: JEP

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Welcome aboard the board Jerry. Given you are primarily a short distance solo rider, take a good look at the Burgman 400. After owning over a half dozen scooters, it's still my favorite maxi-scooter for all around fit and performance for a single rider. And don't worry, it'll handle super slab speeds and long distance tours as well as your Vulcan can too.

I'm on my second Honda Silver Wing right now and mostly enjoy it but like all bikes, it too has its quirks. However, my better half rides a 2016 AN400 which we both love. Good Luck with your search and let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: JEP and wspollack

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Now that land bordering the airport IS the airport. In the last 25 years they kept expanding and re-routed a few main roads through the area to enable the runways to be pushed way out west and south almost double what they were 30 years ago. I used to work at the Air Guard station there on weekends and was rather familiar with that area, though more familiar with West Des Moines where I live.
Interesting. I can remember F100's stationed there. 2 chutes to land and LOTS of noise. BTW I was army national guard in Cleveland from '63 to '69. I lived on SW Maish St in Des Moines and worked at 6th & Locust St, downtown. Learned to sail Sunfish sailboat on Gray's Lake along Flueur Dr

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,288 Posts
I worked on A7's at first then switched to F16s. Then I went on to work the small computer shop in the comm division and became manager of that shop until I retired. AFTER I retired all the airplanes went away and the base became a hub where "pilots" controlled drones that flew out of someplace out east so no more jets making loud noises... at least not the military jets. But bigger commercial jets making loud noises still.

I used to work for the State in a building on the Capitol Complex right across the street from the State Capitol Building. Supported the servers that were used by most of the agencies in the State so had a lot of inside access to whatever was going on... though regulations prohibited me knowing that I knew anything if you know what I mean. :eek:

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I worked on A7's at first then switched to F16s. Then I went on to work the small computer shop in the comm division and became manager of that shop until I retired. AFTER I retired all the airplanes went away and the base became a hub where "pilots" controlled drones that flew out of someplace out east so no more jets making loud noises... at least not the military jets. But bigger commercial jets making loud noises still.

I used to work for the State in a building on the Capitol Complex right across the street from the State Capitol Building. Supported the servers that were used by most of the agencies in the State so had a lot of inside access to whatever was going on... though regulations prohibited me knowing that I knew anything if you know what I mean. :eek:
Very interesting background. My wife's son & grandson are both F16 crew chiefs at a base in Dallas where I got to be up close & personal with a 2 seat trainer F16 a couple of years ago. Loved that visit.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Welcome, my 400 with its goofy rubber band drive makes me smile every time I ride it! 😎

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sweet….putting this on my Chock Full o’ Nuts Bucket List:

Please go see Wheels Through Time. It's worth your time. Never to be forgotten. When asked if they have 1913 Harley like my grandfather had on farm in Ohio (nine kids including my late mom), they showed us two and started one up. And my wife and I were fortunate enough to have been there several years ago to see the Cannonball antique riders arrive.

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Welcome aboard the board Jerry. Given you are primarily a short distance solo rider, take a good look at the Burgman 400. After owning over a half dozen scooters, it's still my favorite maxi-scooter for all around fit and performance for a single rider. And don't worry, it'll handle super slab speeds and long distance tours as well as your Vulcan can too.

I'm on my second Honda Silver Wing right now and mostly enjoy it but like all bikes, it too has its quirks. However, my better half rides a 2016 AN400 which we both love. Good Luck with your search and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks.. Good to be with you all

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey there! I have a similar choice of rides right now, between my Honda Magna and the Burgman 400. Wow, are they different! While the B400 is a bit heavy to push around the garage, once you're rolling it's so light and maneuverable, it's almost funny compared to the Magna. And you know, the Magna is no porker, not too heavy and very sporty. But the difference in feel is remarkable. At a higher age than mine-- but what's in a number?--I think you will be very happy on the 400. It obviously doesn't have the first gear grunt of a bigger engine cruiser like the Vulcan or Magna, but once you get used to the slower launch the 400 has enough get up and go that its very fun to ride and stays well ahead of traffic, fun on curvy roads, and hugely practical. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hey there! I have a similar choice of rides right now, between my Honda Magna and the Burgman 400. Wow, are they different! While the B400 is a bit heavy to push around the garage, once you're rolling it's so light and maneuverable, it's almost funny compared to the Magna. And you know, the Magna is no porker, not too heavy and very sporty. But the difference in feel is remarkable. At a higher age than mine-- but what's in a number?--I think you will be very happy on the 400. It obviously doesn't have the first gear grunt of a bigger engine cruiser like the Vulcan or Magna, but once you get used to the slower launch the 400 has enough get up and go that its very fun to ride and stays well ahead of traffic, fun on curvy roads, and hugely practical. Highly recommended!
Thanks Jeff. I usually shift my 900 Kawi through all 5 gears before 50 mph or so and this makes me think I would be happy indeed aboard a B400. Thanks for your comparison. I appreciate. Just reluctant to sell my comfy big bike to be honest

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Which magna? I always liked the idea of magnas. Back in the 80s I knew a guy with a V65 magna 🙄 wow that bike was fast! Back in San Diego those magnas just zipped by my 1100 shadow on interstate 15 😎

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Which magna? I always liked the idea of magnas. Back in the 80s I knew a guy with a V65 magna 🙄 wow that bike was fast! Back in San Diego those magnas just zipped by my 1100 shadow on interstate 15 😎
You will prob hear from Jeff K re Magna. I ride Kawi LT Classic 900 but always liked Magnas. I had a Kawi KZ1000 Police which was super fast and fairly comfy too

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Mike. Mine is an '02, which is a 3rd gen. They only came in V45, or 750cc for metric thinkers. Its the VFR750 engine of the day Tuned for lower and mid-range punch and even in the "small" V45 edition, they smoke most bigger V twins...sport bike motor and sub 600 pound bike, it moves along and the motor just sounds SO good above 6k. I also have a 5th gen VFR 800 and it's MUCH more sporty of an engine. I'd loop the VFR if I rode the throttle like the Magna. But as cruisers go, the Magna V45 is kind if like the Burgman 400...midsize and punches way above its weight. It's a great bike and now that I have one I understand why it's iconic. Comfy, fast, great gas mileage, classic look. The only negative is the small tank. It looks big on the bike but it really only has about 2 gallons before you hit reserve, so at about 100 miles you have to be looking for a full up. If I'm really going for it--and with that engine you kind of always do--I'll hit reserve before 90 miles. I don't roadtrip on her so that's no big deal. I have soft bags and use for a lot or local stuff. ALMOST as useful as a Burgman 400!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks Jeff. I usually shift my 900 Kawi through all 5 gears before 50 mph or so and this makes me think I would be happy indeed aboard a B400. Thanks for your comparison. I appreciate. Just reluctant to sell my comfy big bike to be honest
Just another thing to point out about the 400...its nearly identical in size to the 650 and weighs about 120 pounds less. And as pillion riders go, my daughter likes the Magna just fine but says the 400 passenger seat is way more comfortable. It does help to have the top box so she doesn't feel like she'll fall off the back.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts