·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi---I'm an old rider seeking to learn all about Burgmans

I live in Winter Haven, Florida and ride a 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan LT Classic 900

I'm considering selling my beloved bike & buying a Burgman

Thanks in advance for your ideas and help everyone.

Jerry
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) Welcome to the forum.

2) You're in the right place to learn.

3) Best solution: keep the Vulcan, add a scoot. They both have their strong points, and how much you gonna get for a seven-year-old 900?
Thanks man, Anxious to learn but no room for two bikes. I will ask 6K and get no less than 5K

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the future today ….. you’re going to love the Burgman !
and wonder why you didn’t do it ten years ago.
Thanks much. I was prob too busy with other bikes but got introduced to Honda Helix 250 several years ago and found I really like the feel of scooter & comfort, so now at 80 years young, I am considering going to a Burgman after selling my beloved Kawasaki LT Classic 900.

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome from Bartow, I have a 2015 650, and you are welcome to stop by and take a look/ride if you like, there are few 650's available and the 400 and 200 are what's for sale, mine is uuugly but rides like a new one,
Can you send a pic of your '15 650? How much?

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Understood, I thought I was replying to the young lady standing by the Classic 900 😁. Thinking she wouldn’t be spending so much time polishing the chrome on a Burgman.

Since now I know your an 80 year old guy …. I feel more safe in saying to ride over to Bartow, and talk to mikeyMarine 🤣
"Young lady" Patti is my wife and she says thanks for your compliment. I am interested in seeing mikeyMarine's 650. Good to be on forum with you. I wanna learn all about Burgmans

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the forum @JEP
I'm not sure Mikey is selling his but just offering it to look at and sit on. I think he likes his 2015 Burgman 650

However, After you look over his Burgman step on over to the Classifieds on the forum and take a look at the pictures of my 2013 Burgman 650 that I AM selling. 😃
(sorry about the shameless plug there... ok, maybe not so sorry 😁)
Thanks for your welcome. Btw I lived 5 years in DesMoines way back when and loved it. Having bought and sold many bikes in Florida, I think I'll be able to find a good one here, especially as more winter visitors arrive. Best of success in selling your very cool '13.

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome. Having owned a 400 and currently a15 650. If one does not do much long distance touring the 400 is lighter and easier to move around. Two up touring is where the 650 shines....
Thanks for welcome. I ride mostly 25 or so miles several times a week, year round and always solo, so a 400 would prob do well. Thinking about trading my 700 lb Kawasaki for a 400 lb Burgman.

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I wouldn't discount the 200 burgy, I haven't any experience with it but I understand it is just a lighter more fuel economic 400 , you may find some 400's used for sale but the 200 is pretty new and would be a bit scarcer,
Well taken. After good experience with Honda Helix 250, I feel 400 Burgy might be a perfect fit & ride for me. There's a 2007 for sale nearby with 25K but someone said improvements made in 2008 and beyond suggest getting a 2008 or newer 400 is advised. Very hard to find, but I would love to find an acceptable trade for my 2014 Kawasaki 900 with only 5K miles and new Dunlops. Prob will have to sell LT Classic outright and then look for a good 400 Burgy

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Red Shift? Mine is faster as it is Blue Shift. ;)

Welcome to the forum Jerry.

Like many, I left the Goldwing groups behind and went to a Baby Goldwing, a Burgman 650. It does all that I need 85% of the time. I do miss the Wing when I need to blast over the ton for a long time but the Burgman 650 will go all day at 105 MPH.
Having owned 3 Goldwings over the years, now at 80, I like lighter machines and am considering getting a 400 Burgman. Should I sell my Kawi 900 and buy a Burgy 400? Good to be with you all

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi JEP...I would do both; keep the Kawi and get a burgy. You might still want to take some longer trips and the Kawi would be nice. I'm 74 and still riding my rs100 when in the States. I do admit it's harder to push around now than it used to be. I ride my Kymco 180 Racing King most of the time while in Taiwan; it's all I need here. Good luck with your search for the Burgy.
Can't keep both due to $ shortage and space shortage. I ride only short trips of 20 to 40 miles and always solo. And I think a Burgy 400 might be perfect. Good on you riding at 74. Keeps us lively.

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
the 650 and the 400 are so different, there's really no comparing them, except for the seat latch, 610 lbs curb weight for 650 474 for 400, both hard to push 362 lbs for the 200 the 200 will run 60-65 mph 88 mpg and about 5000 new , available in lakeland a couple for 4100
Thanks. Good info. Where in Lakeland?

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
First test ride and push a B650…. If you pay attention to the fuel gauge and where you park you won’t need to push much.
I'm excited about seeing mikeyMarine's 650 this week. I push Kawi 900 backwards in driveway but always move forward running and in gear to turn around under carport. And I never let tank get below half.....Hate to push.....lol

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I just want you to test ride one …. they are unbelievable…. it as close to an electric vehicle experience you will get on two wheels with an engine. So quiet and powerful.

It would be perfect if it had vertical take-offs and landings…almost A Real Magic Carpet.
Looking forward to seeing & learning. Maybe a better, lighter ride than my beloved Kawi 900 Vulcan and I like the idea anymore of not having to throw a leg over top......lol

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
sky powersports in lakeland has a 2018 for 4100 I DO NOT recommend them as service center, if you choose to use them for purchase, carefully examine bike before riding, ie tire pressure, oil qty , nuts and bolts etc . It's your skin and bones, they just care about the money.
Yeah, I was not impressed with them from past experience. I do like Fun Bike Center in Lakeland a lot for good service. Just got new Dunlops installed here. Btw my cell is 863 206-8757. See you on Tuesday.

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I hope to be still riding at 80.
66.5 now and just traded my Burgman 650. Wanted to lighten the ride a bit even more than I did 3 years ago. I sold my CTX1300 and shaved off 100 lbs going to the Burgman. Now I'm shaving off another 115 lbs from that going to a 550 without loosing any performance from the 650.
I totally understand going to LESS bike weight as we age. Btw way back when I lived near Des Moines airport, I rode 250 Yamaha dirt bike on land bordering airport. Great fun.

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Now that land bordering the airport IS the airport. In the last 25 years they kept expanding and re-routed a few main roads through the area to enable the runways to be pushed way out west and south almost double what they were 30 years ago. I used to work at the Air Guard station there on weekends and was rather familiar with that area, though more familiar with West Des Moines where I live.
Interesting. I can remember F100's stationed there. 2 chutes to land and LOTS of noise. BTW I was army national guard in Cleveland from '63 to '69. I lived on SW Maish St in Des Moines and worked at 6th & Locust St, downtown. Learned to sail Sunfish sailboat on Gray's Lake along Flueur Dr

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I worked on A7's at first then switched to F16s. Then I went on to work the small computer shop in the comm division and became manager of that shop until I retired. AFTER I retired all the airplanes went away and the base became a hub where "pilots" controlled drones that flew out of someplace out east so no more jets making loud noises... at least not the military jets. But bigger commercial jets making loud noises still.

I used to work for the State in a building on the Capitol Complex right across the street from the State Capitol Building. Supported the servers that were used by most of the agencies in the State so had a lot of inside access to whatever was going on... though regulations prohibited me knowing that I knew anything if you know what I mean. :eek:
Very interesting background. My wife's son & grandson are both F16 crew chiefs at a base in Dallas where I got to be up close & personal with a 2 seat trainer F16 a couple of years ago. Loved that visit.

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sweet….putting this on my Chock Full o’ Nuts Bucket List:

Please go see Wheels Through Time. It's worth your time. Never to be forgotten. When asked if they have 1913 Harley like my grandfather had on farm in Ohio (nine kids including my late mom), they showed us two and started one up. And my wife and I were fortunate enough to have been there several years ago to see the Cannonball antique riders arrive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts