Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new Harbor Freight jack in the garage .. Anyone tried to convert one to jack the Burg 650 model 2012. Cant find a thread on it
Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great write-up from LeDude. One thing that I've noted on a couple of motorcycle forums is that folks who have bought these have changed out the Chinese bolts/nuts d/t reports of breakage. Granted the Burgman ain't the weight of a Goldwing but it's not a featherweight either. Seems like cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
You can change out nuts and bolts if you want to but I've yet to have a problem with any on my 650. For me it's an "if it's not broken why fix it" kind of thing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I tried that route and gave up. Two different HF jacks seemed like the right idea, but as they started to rise, tilted first just enough that it seemed like the bike could go over. No where near stable enough to work on, especially things like the forks. I did finally break down and buy the HF 1000 lb drive on MC lift table. Worked well the first few times, then the pump failed. Chinese crap in the first degree. HF no longer sells the pump as a replacement part even though they still sell the table. After a prolonged pissing contest with them, they are supposed to be getting more pumps. (6 -8 weeks from China) of which I will get to pay $96 plus shipping. I should have bought a good quality one in the beginning.:mad:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I know of a shop with 4 HF lift tables one of which I gave them. Except for having to put hydraulic fluid in them when setting them up new they have had no problems with them. One of the lift table has a pneumatic pump that HF has discontinued which is a drag because it makes things a lot nicer than pumping them up with your foot all day.

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
Here are some Pic's of my adapter for the HF jack. I made it quick and its rough but works. Click on a photo to see it bigger.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
Thanks guys , I did c ledudes but not being a fabricator or welder kept on but u have given me some ideas
bill

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Here other model BUSA member make. Not know if stable or not.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I have switched to a platform style adapter as the other one is only good for lifting the bike to change tires or do other things.

The old style adapter gets in the way when you want to do basic maintenance, like oil change etc...

I haven't had time to put together / finish the DIY for the platform model, but here are a few pics to give you an idea

the platform is bolted to the HF lift and then the scoot is rolled onto it and lifted. Your working height is about 17 inches off the ground.

Have to finish a few tweaks before finalizing the DIY for the platform adapter.

the side pieces, the two smaller ones simply unbolt when not in use and are stored inside the bigger platform that I use a working table top. The later piece is also going to become the base for an HF tire changing ensemble, but more on that in a few weeks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Poor man's lift...

I have a type of lift stand that I bought for cheap here in PRC off of Taobao, eBay equivalent here in PRC. I opened the box when I received the lift but have never ever used it. It's still sitting in the box. Mainly as my garage is full, 5 bikes (3 of them maxi scooters) and a car, plus all the other items I store on shelves and all round the garage mean there's no space available I can dedicate a lift to permanent like.
What works for me is bricks. I have a lot of them, and I have found that adding one brick under each side of the centre stand, and then additional bricks if I need the height, works as well as a lift. OK, granted it's a little more work than a lift with a pneumatic ram, but hey a little physical exercise is actually beneficial for the human body. If more of us did more of it, more of us would be less sick/ill/diseased. - Yep, a whole 'nother story for sure.

Bricks also take up far less space than most bike lifts. Plus I can use the bricks on all the different bikes without any adaptation needed. The Dragstar doesn't have a centre stand so the bricks are real useful when I work on that monster.

I also have a pair of axle stands which also have come in very handy, like when I remove the front wheel of the Burgy, Dragstar and others...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts