Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing the Sturgis rally this August. I've finally convinced a few of the fellas here to make the trip this year.

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
Sturgis, not my cup of tea. Off rally season, Deadwood, Spearfish, Devils Tower and Crazy Horse are well worth a motorcycle ride.

Reactions: G-Dub

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Too far away + HOT then

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sturgis, not my cup of tea. Off rally season, Deadwood, Spearfish, Devils Tower and Crazy Horse are well worth a motorcycle ride.
Yep.... I'd prefer to go when not so many gathered there. I got over ruled on that one. Staying 18 miles away from Sturgis. Will probably ride into Sturgis so I can say I've been there. Then it's off to explore a lot of the places you mentioned.

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
I will be going thru Sturgis in Mid April enroute to Saco Maine. Then again on the return in early June. But will be driving my sisters car both ways, solo going and with sister and her poochie on return.

Last May we did the trip westward and went thru Badlands NP, Wall Drug, Ellsworth AFB, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore and stayed in Deadwood for two nights, then Devils Tower NP and Little Big Horn.

To do it again, I'd maybe skip Mt Rushmore, its sooo small. Looks big on TV but all 4 Prez's faces will fit on Crazy Horse's face and his long hair, He has a long arm with hand pointing and his horse under him. Crazy Horse has a HUGE museum and bus tour, spent 5 hours there, 1 hour at Rushmore.

And, Crazy Horse or Mt Rushmore are NOT a national park so a NP pass does not get you in, $20. My NP Pass got us in to Badlands NP and Devils Tower NP.

These are some Pic of Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
Ecoregion Nature World Bedrock Natural landscape
Sky Plant Natural landscape Bedrock Mountain
Sky Bedrock Landscape Formation Outcrop

Sky Sculpture Statue Art Landmark

Model of Crazy Horse how it will look in 2036 if funding comes through. Funded only by visitors.

Sky Car Tire Vehicle Plant

Crazy Tourist and her Poochie at Crazy Horse, 1 mile away.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,400 Posts
Been past Sturgis. Have NO interest in stopping there. Saw all I wanted to see from the Interstate as I continued on my way west. Liked Wall better. Stopped for a ST-Owners camping event in Spearfish and spent a long weekend. Be sure to ride Spearfish Canyon if you get even close. Rode that a few times while I was there. Rode to Devils Tower also. Spearfish was 660 miles for me the route I took. That was the farthest I've ridden in a single day stopping only for gas and a quick bite to eat for lunch. Split the return trip in half to make it easy. I've done 435 miles in a day riding my Burgman 650. That was last year. I very much prefer riding only 350 to 450 miles per day just for mental alertness. I wanted to push myself going to Spearfish just to see if I could do it. So now I can say that I can, but prefer not to.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be going thru Sturgis in Mid April enroute to Saco Maine. Then again on the return in early June. But will be driving my sisters car both ways, solo going and with sister and her poochie on return.

Last May we did the trip westward and went thru Badlands NP, Wall Drug, Ellsworth AFB, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore and stayed in Deadwood for two nights, then Devils Tower NP and Little Big Horn.

To do it again, I'd maybe skip Mt Rushmore, its sooo small. Looks big on TV but all 4 Prez's faces will fit on Crazy Horse's face and his long hair, He has a long arm with hand pointing and his horse under him. Crazy Horse has a HUGE museum and bus tour, spent 5 hours there, 1 hour at Rushmore.

And, Crazy Horse or Mt Rushmore are NOT a national park so a NP pass does not get you in, $20. My NP Pass got us in to Badlands NP and Devils Tower NP.

These are some Pic of Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
View attachment 97154 View attachment 97155 View attachment 97157

View attachment 97152
Model of Crazy Horse how it will look in 2036 if funding comes through. Funded only by visitors.

View attachment 97153
Crazy Tourist and her Poochie at Crazy Horse, 1 mile away.
Thanks for sharing. I have been watch all the you tube vids I can find on Sturgis and the surrounding area. Most are not worth the time. However I have come across a few with great info as to who, what, and where. No doubt, the placed will be wall to wall bikes and people.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been past Sturgis. Have NO interest in stopping there. Saw all I wanted to see from the Interstate as I continued on my way west. Liked Wall better. Stopped for a ST-Owners camping event in Spearfish and spent a long weekend. Be sure to ride Spearfish Canyon if you get even close. Rode that a few times while I was there. Rode to Devils Tower also. Spearfish was 660 miles for me the route I took. That was the farthest I've ridden in a single day stopping only for gas and a quick bite to eat for lunch. Split the return trip in half to make it easy. I've done 435 miles in a day riding my Burgman 650. That was last year. I very much prefer riding only 350 to 450 miles per day just for mental alertness. I wanted to push myself going to Spearfish just to see if I could do it. So now I can say that I can, but prefer not to.
Looking forward to seeing/visiting the surrounding towns and attractions. NOT looking forward to the massive pile of humanity.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Took an RV trip with family in 2019 all through that part of the country, over 10k miles is all. We blended right in up in Deadwood.
Hat Smile Vintage clothing Tree Sun hat

Anyone see my two girls; I think there still on the run.
Newspaper Publication Font News Poster

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sorry about that; I ain't figured out how to just put thumbnails in yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to travel to that region and see the landscape and sites, but I'm not really interested in the rally itself. I live within an hour of Daytona and I rarely even go to that event. Two many people in a relatively small area for me.
I lived in the Daytona Beach area for 40 years and I was parts mgr at BMW Daytona for 5 of those years. Back in the day bike week was fun but over the years I grew to HATE it with a passion. A large percentage of locals take their vacations that time of the year because they want to get the HELL out of Dodge! When I worked at BMW bike week was bike MONTH for us. We worked 12 to 14 hour days 7 days a week for 21 straight days. There ain't enough money on the planet to get me to go to Sturgis while that rally was going on especially on a Burgman!

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,400 Posts
Best be sporting a long scurvy beard and long unkempt hair (where you still have hair) and a LOT of tattoos and wearing an old worn leather vest with a lot of patches and be WALKING down the street away from where you parked your scooter. :eek:

Oh, and don't forget the key/money pouch on a chain that drapes from a belt loop.

And no, I don't forget that the guy who got me back into riding after 19 years away from it owned a Harley Springer and wore an old WW1 leather ace pilot cap as his "helmet" and was so proud of the Christmas present he received one year... a new "slid'n" vest as he called it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts