Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well, living out here in the boonies of the NW tit of washington, I have already run through 3/4 of a set of 1 year old tires. Now, they are not highway tires so they have a lesser tread life, but.... geeez. I expected at least a few years out of them. Les Schwab truck tires. NOT CHEAP. Over $120 each.

How does that compare to a Pirelli tire? I figure I have put on about 12,000 miles so far, and will have to replace my truck tires this summer if the reduction rate holds for a total of about 15,000 miles. That is about twice what a motorcycle tire will do, right? So, if the Pirelli, or whatever, costs about the same per tire as my truck, then that could be a wash.

Also, living where I do, I am unable to do my oil changes on my truck. So, Jiffy Lube loves me. now, I image the bike will be a tad easier to do since I don't really have to jack it up and crawl under it (cant any more anyway do to a variety of time-based factors), so, I "consider" that nearly a wash.

One thing I am also considering... whenever I travel on business and I use my own vehicle, I get paid 42.5 cents per mile. Now, which transport device would be making me some money - the F150 truck (which does get 17-20mpg) or the 50mpg scooter?? Gotta add that into the calculations too. getting paid to ride the scooter...mmmmm

so, are my thoughts working out here. Are they making ANY sense? If not, then I should prolly re-think the scooter thing and save the 9 grand (plus riding and safety equipment).

· Registered
3,347 Posts
captainfish said:
...are my thoughts working out here. Are they making ANY sense? If not, then I should prolly re-think the scooter thing and save the 9 grand (plus riding and safety equipment).
No, no, no. It's not about making sense (although it might).

It's about twistin' 'n' goin' -- the wind in your face, the scents in your nose, and the sounds in your ears.

It's about the scooter lifestyle, nay about the Burgman lifestyle. Can you imagine having a forum of enthusiastic members chatting about the last movie they saw that had a Ford pickup in it? Or debating endlessly about what features next years Dodge Caravan would have? I don't think so.

At eight grand, it's cheap at the price for what you get in exchange.

At least, I think it is. :happy6:

· Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Dave B., $450 dealer setup seems a little high.

Even with my complaining about the high sticker prices, taxes etc up here, my dealer only charged me $275.00 for dealer setup.
I thought that was reasonable.
I'll know for sure when I check my tire pressures and gas level, center stand bolts, and wheel nuts, etc., after I take after delivery. :wink:

(plus $60.00 of course for licence, and another $60.00 for "admin") :cry:
Again reasonable.

As for the maintence thing Brian, I plan on doing most of that myself, even if I have to pay for a table lift (once).
From what I hear, a couple of dealer services would pay for the lift. :roll:

I have an idea that I could slap a large sheet of 3/4" plywood on the extended forks of a towmotor at work and lift my burg up to any height I need to work on it. Might work if done carefully, maybe with some ratchet straps for additional peace of mind.

I have a secret weapon here, called Allwalk. :lol:

Between his excellent photo "manuals" online and his friendly offers to help me (we only live about 40 minutes drive away from each other), I should be able to manage everything except valve adjustments and tire changes. Maybe even that, who knows.

Also have a neigbour who rides, and is mechanically inclined.

If I have to buy a few tools, so be it. I like good tools. :) :wink:

· Registered
13 Posts
Well Captainfish, you may get into riding on two wheels because it "makes sense", but let me give you a cautionary tale. There was a guy (who might be me) who had a co-worker/friend who showed him around a little community where he lived. This guy (me again) had a wife who fell in love with said community and wanted to move there. The problem is this fellow (guess who) would have to commute back and forth by Ferry and this would not be practical as a "walk on" and would not be cheap in a car. Thus the "friend" of this guy talked him into "looking into" getting a motorcycle. To make a long story short (oops... waaaay too late) this guy took the basic rider course, got a motorcycle, fell in love with the art and science of traveling on two wheels, got his whole FREAKING family into motorcycling (Wife, Dad, Mom, Sister, Brother in Law, and Nephew) as well as another co-worker and the rest was (very fun) history. Now, many of the free hours of this guy (let's call him "Doug" shall we?) are spent floating down life's highways with good friends and family riding alongside. The move never happened, but the "mutant" passion that came from that possibility lives on and on. It is said that when he can't ride, he is found trolling the internet looking at bikes and routes and meeting new friends through online "biker" or "scooter" forums.

You have been warned. Run while you can, or, better yet, come join the Dark Side! Hahahahahahahaaaaa! (maniacal laughter continues)

· Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Brian! I had to tell that after your post about whether it makes sense or not to get a burgy! :) What price does one put on happiness. To quote "Braveheart", "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

· Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hahahaaaaa
Brian and Caelaris: Oh, I fully agree. I used to own a Honda Helix when they first came out. It was a blast. And part of that memory is driving me toward the purchase of a burgy. But, the Helix was about 3 grand, whereas this gotta-have is over 7 grand. Plus, will have to fork over decent dough for safety equipment - a bit larger these days.

Do I want another bit of debt? Will I stay at my current vocation long enough to enjoy it and pay the bike off?

I made the mistake of telling my mother, who is visiting us, about my desires for a new purchase. She inflated my hesitant side.

Well, I have not heard back from that HondaToledoEast.com salesman, and I didn't get a chance to head to Seattle for this weekend. I think I will visit some dealers while I am attending a meeting in Lynnwood next week.

Can you guys send me some addresses for your favorite dealers near there?

· Registered
3,347 Posts
captainfish said:
I think I will visit some dealers while I am attending a meeting in Lynnwood next week.

Can you guys send me some addresses for your favorite dealers near there?
The biggest M/C dealer in Lynnwood -- the Cycle Barn @ 188th & Hwy-99 -- hasn't had any Burgmans any time I've been there. In fact I don't recall if they carry Suzuki or not. They do have a HUGE selection of accessories, riding gear, etc., and are a big Harley dealer. Their intercom and radio counter is worth visiting just to supply fodder for your wish list.

If you shoot up Hwy-99 or I-5 to Everett, then Everett Power Sports on the north side of Everett Mall Way (next to the car dealership, at 215 SW Everett Mall Way) would be my best suggestion. They didn't have any scooters on the floor last weekend, but they may have some in the warehouse. You could also call them first @ 425-347-4545. EPS is a bit smaller than the Cycle Barn but it's where I bought my Burgman, and the Sales Dept. isn't all snobbish against scooters the way some dealerships are. Last June when I bought mine, they had new and used Reflexes, Helixes, and Silverwings; 400 and 650 Burgmans; and the little Honda Metros and Ruckuses on display. Plus lots of ATVs and watercraft, as expected at a power sports store.

· Registered
3,347 Posts
captainfish said:
Thanks Brian,
I will check it out later next week.
gracias!
De nada.

I was in there today, and they have one silver '05 650 and three silver Silverwings upstairs. The 650 has been sold, if I understood Doug correctly, but he did take me up to see it.

There was no battery in it, so I couldn't start it up nor even check out the new display, but I did do a walkaround. In person, the clear lenses really do go great with the silver body. I'm definitely going to trade up next year (and hopefully the Exec will be in the USA by then).

Anyway, if you do stop by they have the new brochures in and would probably be happy to talk about orders, prices, and delivery dates; whether they'll be getting a bigger shipment in for early summer; etc. Ask for Douglas Shields, and tell him Brian, the crazy scooter rider, sent you. (He always tells scooter customers about my Border to Border trip, and about my speeding across the desert, although he often exaggerates that one (I only hit 112, not 120!). :twisted: )

· Registered
465 Posts
Seems to me you guy's ought to price out the cheapest place in the states and take a plane ride. Even if you ship it to Canada it would still be cheaper than what you can buy it for up there, "ifin ya all can even find one!"

· Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Evelyn said:
Seems to me you guy's ought to price out the cheapest place in the states and take a plane ride. Even if you ship it to Canada it would still be cheaper than what you can buy it for up there, "ifin ya all can even find one!"
Right you are Evelyn. :lol:

· Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
:lol: :lol:

Yep, prolly so. And, by the time I get back, I would have had my 600 mile sevice and prolly the next one after that.

Talk about a break in ride, eh?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.