Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
What "hump" is that Brian? :?
THE hump, where hump bags go, etc. :wink:

In Burgman parlance, "the hump" is the raised section between the rider's feet, sort of like the driveshaft hump on a FE/RWD car.

Located just below the 650's glove box, and just above the hump, is a metal plate with all sorts of interesting and useful data on it.

· Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Thanks Brian.
Which brings up another question/s.
I've been considering installing some BMW type outlets here and there for heated clothing etc.

Would this area on the "Hump" be a good spot for the riders hookup?
Or higher up on the dash somewhere?

Or, is better to go just below the seat hinge area, above the hump, but on the seat area rather than the dash. Neater?

I've been thinking the rear one could go just behind the lead handrail so as to be hidden

· Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thanks everyone.
I am really Jonesing for this new BLUE 650. (Don't tell anyone, as it may drive the price up)

Lifegetter, that ad also cites a BLACK or SILVER 2005 650 burgman. Guess they are also unaware of what constitutes a new 2005 model. I guess I could ask them to take a picture of that manufacturer's plate, certify it and drop some DNA on it, ... for verification purposes only, of course. *edit* just went to the homepage for that ad..HONDAeasttoledo.com... they only list the MSRP for their 2005 burgman 650. On this ad they do list that the colors are blue and silver. It also states a 4 gallon gas tank.

Ok, here's a newbie question...
What kind of charges can I expect, and what charges can I expect to be a sham? I know there is a PREP fee (for putting the bike together) but isn't this fee sometime negotiable?

thx again

· Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just a little update:
I sent an email to the HondaEastToledo.com that I referenced above about a quote and this is what they sent as a reply:

Thank you for your quote request on the 2005 Suzuki Burgman 650. We are
currently offering this unit for an out the door price of $7,304.00. This
price is inclusive of all charges with the exception of sales tax, which
you will be responsible for in your home state. This price includes
shipping to a trucking terminal in Seattle for you to pick up.

I can also provide you with a 15% discount in accessories and extended
warranty coverage at the time of purchase.

You can reserve your new machine at this price today with a small deposit
that can be taken care of over the phone.
That doesn't sound like a bad price, right? And to have it shipped to a place near me? State taxes should be just a few hundred, right? How would I take care of the state taxes - at the WA state license department?

I appreciate your information and help.

· Registered
792 Posts
WA registration

captainfish said:
That doesn't sound like a bad price, right? And to have it shipped to a place near me? State taxes should be just a few hundred, right? How would I take care of the state taxes - at the WA state license department?

I appreciate your information and help.
The selling dealer will provide you with the necessary paperwork for obtaining a title, usually a manufacturer's Statement of Origin and a Bill Of Sale. Make sure the Bill Of Sale is itemized to show the price you pay for the scooter so you won't have to pay taxes on the "as delivered" price. You can calculate the amount of Sales Tax using your local rate or call a tag agent and ask them for the full amount including taxes, fees, title and registration.

Regards,

Dan

· Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks Dan,
Yeah, I guess that their quoted price also does not include the registration and fees. I am used to doing everything in-state.

Talked with another member and they paid about $900 in total fees for their OTD price of $8200. Guess I should expect about the same.

I emailed them back asking them some specific questions: how will it be shipped and will it be insured? Can I get a pick of the bike's manufacturer's plate that I may put a deposit on?

Thanks Dan for the bag info.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
That sounds like a very fair price. You'll have to find a ride into Seattle on a weekday (the trucking office isn't likely to be open on a weekend), but then you'll have a nice familiarization ride home. (If that's too difficult to arrange, I could pick it up for you on a Friday, and deliver it to you on Saturday. PM me if you want t talk about that.)

To pay the tax just visit your local license bureau (Not a DOL Driver's License office, but a vehicle/boat license bureau -- check your Yellow Pages) and they'll assess the proper tax when you buy your Washington plate and annual tab. Just take your invoice with you to show the actual purchase price.

I think you should go for it. Alteratively, you could take HondaEastToledo.com's letter to a local dealer and see if they'll meet or beat the deal you were offerred.

· Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
thanks Dan and Brian,

I found out that license fees for a 7300 bike would be about 700 dollars. Now, just need to figure out if this guy is for real and if so, how to get the dream machine home.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I may have to do some local shopping this weekend.

· Registered
13 Posts
if you don't mind black...

Some things to remember. In this state (Washington) the sales tax is calculated on the FULL MSRP os the item in question. Thus with a sticker price of $7799 you'll pay about $690 in taxes in King County (at the nearly 8.9% sales tax rate here) I just got the last silver 04 Burgman 650 Sunday at RMC motorsports in Renton for an OTD price of just less that $7900 including sales tax. I think it was about 7100 negotiated without tax and licensing fees. They have 3 black 650s left in stock Might be worth the trip.

· Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
.... calculated on the FULL MSRP? When I called the local license bureau, she asked if that was the fair market value of the item. I said, well, yeah, that was what he was going to sell it for, so... yeah. Could it vary like that by county?

Renton, huh? I take it from your statement though that they did not have any blue 2005 models in???

I have one store in Port Angeles I can check prior to migrating out toward Seattle. Mom's coming in this weekend for a visit so may just show her the big town other than Seatac Airport. I think it was.... Brian... that pointed me to a place north of Lynnwood off of hwy 99(?).

Well, if anything, this guy's initial price offereing can be a good starting point for negotiations locally.

thanks caelaris,

· Registered
13 Posts
MSRP and taxes

From what I was told in a discussion with co-workers, washington state legislature passed that law some time ago to make the buyer pay taxes on new vehicles as though your paid the full MSRP on the item. The information may not be correct, but it certainly sounds like something they'd do doesn't it? I'm looking at the paperwork now, and the State got a nice chunk of change from me in taxes totalling $648.48. :::gets out calculator::: Okay, from surfing a bit and calculating it out, I've got it. That info they gave me, and I passed on to you, is bogus. The only way I can come up with that number to the penny is to take my negotiated price ($7,126.11) and multiply it by .091 (which is .088 cents sales tax and a .003 cent transit tax garbage. Depending on your county, you may get away with as low as a .084% tax provided you live in the right county and are outside whatever boundries they determined for this transit tax. On top of that, I had $81.25 in license fees. Whew. Glad that's settled. I apologize for passing on bogus information, and I hope that clears it up. And no, they only had the three black 04 burgies left, no blue 05 burgy. Sorry.

· Premium Member
1,402 Posts
WOW, you guys get off light. :p

The Burg lists for $10999.00 to start with

Here in Ontario, Canada we pay 7% GST AND 8% PST on top of the actual cost :roll:
An extra 15% in all.

My taxes on my Burg sales receipt are over $1736.00 :cry:

Really adds to the total cost.
Think of all the goodies I could buy with that $1700.00

Insurance rates on the 650 are over $900.00 per year, (one company quoted me about $2400.00 per year), and gas is about 88 cents per litre right now and climbing.
Don't know what that translates to, but it's high, $3.00 to $4.00 per gallon?

The Canadian dollar does not go as far as the US dollar does. :cry:

· Registered
127 Posts
Doug I was in RMC on Sunday morning and saw your silver on the floor. It has only been on the floor a short time. The black ones have been there for while. The taxes on my 05 were about the same you paid (I think within $10 but I don't have the paperwork with me at the moment). Bought it in Bellingham. Scoot was more at $7299.
I'll see you on the road - enjoy your ride!
Phil

· Registered
13 Posts
Ouch! Those are pretty steep taxes up there in Canada! Kinda makes me feel petty for complaining about the other .003%! As an ex-president of ours used to say, "I feel your pain!".
Phil, that's a heck of a deal ya got from a small volume dealer like that. RMC sells a whole lotta bikes to come up with the slightly lower (for around here) prices. You're a better negotiator than I, that's for sure. Regardless, I hope all this helps the guy who started this post. "Doug paid $XXXX from here and my friend Phil paid $XXXX from here, so I'll go no higher than $XXXX. It helps to know these things going in, particularly if it's relevant to your area. I just had a good relationship with the service department of that dealership when they did work on my Connie, so that's why I chose RMC in my case. Like others have said around here, in the long run, it's worth it to buy from dealers who treat you right, even if it costs you a few extra bucks at the start. The 10% I'll save on service and gear at a convenient shop (for me) makes it worthwhile.

· Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I agree Caelaris.... sometimes good deals aren't such good deals if you get screwed in the process. "yeah, we will give you a great deal on that new bike, but, there is gonna be a unpacking charge, a setup fee, a hazardous materials fee (gassing it up), checkout charge, tire fees (for whenever you decide to change tires somewhere else)......"

HOLY CRAPOLA lilleyen !!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :x :x

That is a screw job if I have ever heard of. You would think that a government in this day and age would be PUSHING people to get onto higher MPG, smaller, cleaner vehicles instead of making them pay more money out their butts.

Here in the USA, the cost of going green is still out of reach for the common people that the Govt gives rebates and incentives to shift over to solar and wind power, green-mobiles, water saving, adding home insulation, upgrading to High Efficiency appliances, etc.

Lilleyen, I feel your pain. Well, not really. Could not imagine what that reaming must feel like. What the heck are those extra 15% fees for???

· Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
...gas is about 88 cents per litre right now and climbing.
Don't know what that translates to, but it's high, $3.00 to $4.00 per gallon?

The Canadian dollar does not go as far as the US dollar does. :cry:
88 cents per litre is about $3.50 per gallon. Then figure in the exchange rate to compare with current Washington prices of $2.15 - $2.30 per gallon for 87 octane.

$10,999 vs $7699 sounds like a lot, but if you figure exchange rates or compare what the average Canadian worker is paid versus what the average US worker is paid you may find that the discrepency changes.

Making real comparisons between different currencies that share the same name (US, Canadian, and Australian dollar; French and Swiss Francs; etc.) practically takes a degree in economics.

· Registered
1,686 Posts
I think I was pretty lucky with the dealership I bought from. The prices hung on each bike were "out the door". The first thing the salesman said to me was "We don't charge setup or any other fees here." I felt the price was fair ($6725) for a 0-miles, new 2004 650, so that's what I paid. (I'd seen one on EBay for $6499, but shipping cost would have made it more than I paid. ) Of course the state and local taxes were 7.3% on top of that. He sold me two helmets at his cost (about 60% of the tagged price), and a backrest with %25 discount.

I had looked at and ridden a silverwing earlier that day. But that Honda saleman was firm on his "unnegotiable dealership fees" of about $450 over bike price. I told him I wanted his best out-the-door price, and he kept coming back with lower bike prices. Then he'd add the $450 back on top. Never going back there. Nice folks with no clue what their competition was doing. I told him I was going to test drive the $6725 Suzuki Burgman as it was more in my price range. He complained that I wasn't comparing apples to apples. I pointed out that the burgman was still an apple (metaphor for a SCOOTER), but with a bigger engine and a lower price. He nearly cried as I walked out the door.

Dave B.

· Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
HAHAHAAAAA

Yep, I still remember the thing my father taught me when I bought my first new truck. I hold the purse strings and the thing the dealers hate the most is US walking out the door with the thought of never coming back.

Brian... true,, but it still sounds like a shafting. Besides, I don't think a conversion rate will explain away the difference between the WA fees of $700-$900 to the Canadian fees of over $1700. That's double. And I am sure he left off some other fees he had to pay, such as the license and sticker fees.

And, with gas prices predicted to keep rising (am at $2.25 now here), my desire to get my hands on a blue-scoot is increasing. Figure it will pay for itself in gas, tire wear, vehicle maintenance cost savings versus my F150 truck.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...my desire to get my hands on a blue-scoot is increasing. Figure it will pay for itself in gas, tire wear, vehicle maintenance cost savings versus my F150 truck.
Unless you do the maintenance yourself, be ready for a shock; no $25.00 oil change specials on the Burgmans, that's for sure! Also, tires wear much more quickly, although you only have to replace two of them, not four, so maybe that's a wash.

I was shocked at how much service on my 650 cost, but I figure at less than half the purchase price of a decent car or truck, and getting at least twice the gas mileage, I do come out better overall.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.