Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...Boils down to, what do I need to get to get a Pearl Blue 650 with the OD on it?
Go to your local dealer with about $7,700 cash in hand and say, "I want an '05 Burgman 650." You'll get one, but he may have to order it and you may have to wait a few weeks.

I was at Everett Power Sports today and looked around, but didn't see any on the floor. I was in a hurry though (just stopped in to schedule service and ask about tires), so I didn't ask a sales person if any were in the back.

All the '05s have OD, but only the Exec (not available in USA yet) has power mirrors, power windshield, etc. I picked up an '05 Scooter brochure, and for the 650 it says, in part, "SECVT features a new overdrive gear ratio for better fuel consumtion at highways speeds."

· Registered
3,411 Posts
frugality said:
I'm sure they'd LOVE $7700 for one, but you should be able to talk them down to less. ProCycle's listed price is $6499 plus whatever taxes/fees there might be:

http://www.procycleusa.com/index.cfm?pa ... baseid=505

You should be able to get it down closer to US$7000 out the door.
Not in the Seattle area, including state and local taxes and fees. Not in my experience, anyway.

MSRP is $7799, and while ProCycle says they'll sell you one for $6499 (not including fees) they also say "Currently Out of Stock."

Also, prices in Seattle seem to be higher than in much of the country. Law of supply and demand, I suspect, and captainfish was asking specifically about the Seattle area.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
Habu55 said:
I was in the Suziki dealership in Bellevue on Fri and saw a black 650 just like my '04. The salesman said it was an '05. I didn't debate the assertion, but my understanding is that the '05 does not come in black.
The dealer doesn't know his/her product line. Hasn't even looked at the '05 brochure. No black Burgmans in any size in '05 -- just silver, blue, and red.

lilleyen said:
Habu55 check the turn signals.
They are clear with orange bulbs on the 650 2005s
If you point that out to a dearler and they don't believe you, just point to the manufacturer's plate located in plain sight just above the hump; it shows the date of manufacture on it.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
What "hump" is that Brian? :?
THE hump, where hump bags go, etc. :wink:

In Burgman parlance, "the hump" is the raised section between the rider's feet, sort of like the driveshaft hump on a FE/RWD car.

Located just below the 650's glove box, and just above the hump, is a metal plate with all sorts of interesting and useful data on it.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
That doesn't sound like a bad price, right? And to have it shipped to a place near me? State taxes should be just a few hundred, right? How would I take care of the state taxes - at the WA state license department?
That sounds like a very fair price. You'll have to find a ride into Seattle on a weekday (the trucking office isn't likely to be open on a weekend), but then you'll have a nice familiarization ride home. (If that's too difficult to arrange, I could pick it up for you on a Friday, and deliver it to you on Saturday. PM me if you want t talk about that.)

To pay the tax just visit your local license bureau (Not a DOL Driver's License office, but a vehicle/boat license bureau -- check your Yellow Pages) and they'll assess the proper tax when you buy your Washington plate and annual tab. Just take your invoice with you to show the actual purchase price.

I think you should go for it. Alteratively, you could take HondaEastToledo.com's letter to a local dealer and see if they'll meet or beat the deal you were offerred.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
...gas is about 88 cents per litre right now and climbing.
Don't know what that translates to, but it's high, $3.00 to $4.00 per gallon?

The Canadian dollar does not go as far as the US dollar does. :cry:
88 cents per litre is about $3.50 per gallon. Then figure in the exchange rate to compare with current Washington prices of $2.15 - $2.30 per gallon for 87 octane.

$10,999 vs $7699 sounds like a lot, but if you figure exchange rates or compare what the average Canadian worker is paid versus what the average US worker is paid you may find that the discrepency changes.

Making real comparisons between different currencies that share the same name (US, Canadian, and Australian dollar; French and Swiss Francs; etc.) practically takes a degree in economics.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...my desire to get my hands on a blue-scoot is increasing. Figure it will pay for itself in gas, tire wear, vehicle maintenance cost savings versus my F150 truck.
Unless you do the maintenance yourself, be ready for a shock; no $25.00 oil change specials on the Burgmans, that's for sure! Also, tires wear much more quickly, although you only have to replace two of them, not four, so maybe that's a wash.

I was shocked at how much service on my 650 cost, but I figure at less than half the purchase price of a decent car or truck, and getting at least twice the gas mileage, I do come out better overall.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...are my thoughts working out here. Are they making ANY sense? If not, then I should prolly re-think the scooter thing and save the 9 grand (plus riding and safety equipment).
No, no, no. It's not about making sense (although it might).

It's about twistin' 'n' goin' -- the wind in your face, the scents in your nose, and the sounds in your ears.

It's about the scooter lifestyle, nay about the Burgman lifestyle. Can you imagine having a forum of enthusiastic members chatting about the last movie they saw that had a Ford pickup in it? Or debating endlessly about what features next years Dodge Caravan would have? I don't think so.

At eight grand, it's cheap at the price for what you get in exchange.

At least, I think it is. :happy6:

· Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
I think I will visit some dealers while I am attending a meeting in Lynnwood next week.

Can you guys send me some addresses for your favorite dealers near there?
The biggest M/C dealer in Lynnwood -- the Cycle Barn @ 188th & Hwy-99 -- hasn't had any Burgmans any time I've been there. In fact I don't recall if they carry Suzuki or not. They do have a HUGE selection of accessories, riding gear, etc., and are a big Harley dealer. Their intercom and radio counter is worth visiting just to supply fodder for your wish list.

If you shoot up Hwy-99 or I-5 to Everett, then Everett Power Sports on the north side of Everett Mall Way (next to the car dealership, at 215 SW Everett Mall Way) would be my best suggestion. They didn't have any scooters on the floor last weekend, but they may have some in the warehouse. You could also call them first @ 425-347-4545. EPS is a bit smaller than the Cycle Barn but it's where I bought my Burgman, and the Sales Dept. isn't all snobbish against scooters the way some dealerships are. Last June when I bought mine, they had new and used Reflexes, Helixes, and Silverwings; 400 and 650 Burgmans; and the little Honda Metros and Ruckuses on display. Plus lots of ATVs and watercraft, as expected at a power sports store.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
Thanks Brian,
I will check it out later next week.
gracias!
De nada.

I was in there today, and they have one silver '05 650 and three silver Silverwings upstairs. The 650 has been sold, if I understood Doug correctly, but he did take me up to see it.

There was no battery in it, so I couldn't start it up nor even check out the new display, but I did do a walkaround. In person, the clear lenses really do go great with the silver body. I'm definitely going to trade up next year (and hopefully the Exec will be in the USA by then).

Anyway, if you do stop by they have the new brochures in and would probably be happy to talk about orders, prices, and delivery dates; whether they'll be getting a bigger shipment in for early summer; etc. Ask for Douglas Shields, and tell him Brian, the crazy scooter rider, sent you. (He always tells scooter customers about my Border to Border trip, and about my speeding across the desert, although he often exaggerates that one (I only hit 112, not 120!). :twisted: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.