Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has developed a hesitation as I come off idle. It only lasts for a few seconds, and goes away at abt 3000 rpm. Could I have a vacuum leak or gummed up fuel injector? I checked valve clearance, spark plug, and cleaned the air filter. It seems as if it is too lean, not getting enough gas. Otherwise, the bike runs great, and gets about 62 mpg. it is a 2005 an400 with 14,000 miles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi John,

Did you check and clean the PAIR (pulsed-air injection system) that's attached the the valve cover when adjusting the valves?

Also, on my 2004 (picked up in December 2013) the hoses leading to the PAIR where cracked. However, my scooter was backfiring not hesitating before cleaning the PAIR and replacing the hoses.

·
Registered
151 Posts
John,

I just check your location and we're about 150 miles apart. Let me know if you make in close to Ravenswood, WV.

Take care,

Bruce Brown

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
The problem could be a lot of things.

Something else to check is the Throttle Position Sensor. First check to see that it is adjusted correctly. If so you might need to test it for functioning. Resistance and voltage through it should vary smoothly as you turn the throttle. If they don't and you have spikes or drops as you turn the throttle then you can get hesitation at those spots. That is what happened to my 650 when the TPS went bad. It had a bad spot at what matched the throttle opening for running at 50 to 60 mph.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Try cleaning the idle adjust screw. ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you test or check the throttle position sensor? Thanks for all the suggeations. Will do them one at a time. The hesitation is annoying but does not interfere with the ride!

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Page 4-16 is the adjustment test. Pages 4-28 through 4-30 are the procedures to test it for function.

Basically the function test uses a multi-meter hooked to the sensor's plug to measure the resistance and voltage through the sensor as you turn the throttle grip. Your looking for the voltage and resistance to get progressively higher in a smooth curve as the throttle opens.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see on page 4-16 that a special tool is needed. Is there a way to check and adjust without that tool? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
That special tool is only a switch so you can close the circuit between two wires. You can do the same thing by just using a piece of wire stuck into the plug to jumper between the black with white stripe and the white with red stripe wires. This link show how to do it on the 650 but it is the same method for the 400. The only difference is the location of the plug. On the 650 it is under the seat. On the 400 it is behind the panel under the windshield.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/34496-fi-light-how-make-your-own-diagnostic-connector.html

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the throttle posotion sensor, and it was correct. I did not have the hesitation issue until I checked and adjusted the valves and replaced the spark plug. I am assuming either the plug is bad ( doubtful) or I misadjusted the valves ( the intakes were ok but the exhausts were too tight. They are on the high end of the specs now, maybe they need tighter) But I don't think the valve adjustment would cause hesitation in just a norrow rpm range, would it? I think maybe I disturbed a connector, or tore a hose while taking everything off to get to the valves. Possibly tore a PAIR valve hose when replacing it. Any ideas? Thanks for everyones help. I did not clean the PAIR valve, so maybe it is dirty. I am thinking about plugging it off as described in other posts.

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
I agree with you that the valves probably would not cause hesitation you describe. Might be a good idea to pull the air filter off and take a look around to see if something you touched while you were working on it is amiss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts