Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, getting frustrated. I bought my Burgman not too long ago. It a 2007 had a little over 700 miles on it. Had to have sat quite a bit. I've put about 900 miles on it now and still can't get the hesitation out of it. Its been serviced, run several tanks of ethanol free gas, sea foam, still aint right.

Its really noticeable at higher speeds.. 55-60. At full twist of throttle rpms drop down loss of speed until I back off then gradually speeds back up. It has stalled a couple of time as well at stop lights... and stalled during take off once or twice... thats not good, and could be dangerous in certain situations.

Comment suggestions appreciated,
Bad ejector? Fuel filter?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Oxygen sensor, fuel filter, gummed up/sluggish injector, make sure the motorised secondary throttle plate is not sticking--and change the spark plug just for good measure.

My first inclination would be pull and clean the TB and injector...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I bought a TB, throttle body, on eBay for $75. Works great. Might be worth it just to swap it out instead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the input guys, looks like I'll be digging a little deeper. Why cant it just have an S&S carburetor... sure would be easier. :D all other comments welcomed.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't want a carburetor, trust me.
I know, just having fun. I realize performance on the single cylinder Burg would be down the toilet. As a guy thats owned both fuel injection and carburetor bikes they both have their benefits according to what their attached to. I just need to figure this hesitation thing out. Driving me nuts... I will get to the bottom of it I assure you. I like to get others opinions, helps save time if others have experienced the same problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found another thread on the site titled "throttle boggs down... need help" . Sorry not sure how to paste link. Anyway I pulled the fuel pump and the filter is coming apart in pieces. Looks as if fuel may have evaporated drying it out since it sat for so long.

I dont have a manual yet so I'm going on what I think the issue may be. It certainly needs a new filter. Should I take the pump apart? Are there internal screens or filters, or is this it?

BtW.. its a pain to get out. I'm hoping this will solve my ongoing hesitation problem. Sure sounds like it starving for fuel at full throttle. We'll see. Let me know about the other filters or screens if any.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You may have to have your injectors cleaned but first I would try some B-12 treatment. It is the best in my experience and Seafoam is nothing close. I had a V Max M/C which are notorious for clogged jets in carbs and B 12 was the only thing which would work other than a teardown and clean. If this doesn't work I suggest you take it to a shop and let them clean it out, unless you want to tackle it yourself. B 12 can be had at auto parts stores and sometimes Wal Mart. Yamaha also makes a heavy duty cleaner which will require an oil change afterward.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Westnash, and others for the input, and a special thanks to cliffyk.

I have pulled this thing apart the fuel filter is in bad shape. Ordered another one will have it tomorrow. Cleaned Throttle body, removed injector pressure cleaned it fuel hose and all. Sprayed all connectors . Has a new OEM air filter.

Also changed antifreeze since I had panels off. BTW the fuel pump is a PITA to get out, so be careful not to lose your temper :D I didn't have to move the fuel tank or radiator where others have said they had to .... but who knows I may have to when I go to put it back in :confused:

Lets hope this does the trick, if not, I'll start looking into electronics. Thanks for the help, stay tuned..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update,

Okay, I've tried everything I know to get the scooter to run right. It has to be electronics. I took it to the shop to have components checked out. It's been there a week, I called and asked how it was coming and they said they ordered an ECM for it. They ran the vin number and said there was an update on the ECM and my scooter didnt have it. :confused: well anyway lets hope this fixes the problem. The scooter is fairly new to me so I didnt know about any recalls, or updates.

I woukd think the dealer I bought it from should have checked this out. I guess thats one of the reasons it was stalling sometimes while taking off? May also have something to do with hesitation at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Well, When the Unit was Replaced there were A Dot Sticker Put on them ,That was the Fixed One's!! I think the Dot was Green or Orange, Did not fix the Stalling Problem to much, I still get 2 stalls each Year!!

Elliott,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update again

Shop called and said fuel pump not putting out the pressure it should and needs replacing. They Installed the ECM no charge due to a recall. Fuel pump about $350.00. I hope this fixes this hesitation thing. I have a good knowledge of motorcycles but this scooter is starting to t me off....

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
$350 Wow!! You should have Got one for $69 bucks!! But the only thing is that there China,Made. Plan on getting one and Carry it with me as a Backup.

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's unfortunate that you need a new pump. However, it doesn't surprise me. If one of these bikes stands a very long time without any use the pump seals can pop when pressed back into service. With normal everyday use the pump should last and last and most people never ever need a new pump. Glad you are getting it fixed. And don't worry, you've spent your money wisely. It's one of the best intermediate bikes on the planet and they just go and go pretty much forever without problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those that have followed this thread the end result is fixed. No more hesitation! In spite of all my efforts a trip the the dealership was needed, but at a price. A new ECM, and new fuel pump installed. My advise, dont let them sit too long. Whomever owned this scooter did just that and I paid the price. Maybe now I can enjoy it some. :cool: I did have my HD Springer to ride while waiting for it, so it wasn't like I was doing without :D

Thanks for all the input, I appreciated it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts