Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we can all agree that Suzuki has not an inkling of an idea how to provide an interesting name for their motorcycles. It hasn't always been this way. I think back to the X6 Hustler, the Savage, the Bearcat (and it's little sister, the Hillbilly), the Titan, and many others. Not extremely creative, but they were created in the '60's after all, and during that time, were pretty darn catchy.

I'll give you the Hayabusa. I didn't like it at first, because I didn't know what a Hayabusa was. But I have to admit, it's pretty good. The Savage is now gone. The whole darned cruiser line is now the Boulevard (DULLSVILLE!) series. V-Strom? What the heck is a Strom?

Of course you know where this is leading. Burgman. My goodness. The bike looks like 22nd century anime. Given a whole week, I couldn't have come up with a name that BAD!

If YOU were going to rename the Burgman for Suzuki, what would it be?

Since it's my thread, I'll go first.

Mobius

I think I'll call mine 'Moby' for short. 8)

Anyone else?

Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I hate it when my mind draws a blank--*&^*&* Can't think of the name.
The god (or was he a massager for the gods) in mythology that had wings on his feet ...........
Someone help me out here..... :oops:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Burgman is a great name, everyone talks about it. When you say "there goes a Burgman" someone is bound to counter with "what's a Burgman?" And then the whole maxi scooter talk starts. It's perfect.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy said:
I hate it when my mind draws a blank--*&^*&* Can't think of the name.
The god (or was he a massager for the gods) in mythology that had wings on his feet ...........
Someone help me out here..... :oops:
Wasn't it like, the Flash, or something? :D

Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Steve,

Strom is the German word for "wind". Burgman is the German word for either "guy who lives in a castle" or "man about town" - conflicting stories on that one. Anyhow, those are the most pausible explanations I've heard.

What you have here is a Japanese manufacturer trying to use German names to sell product to Americans - most of whom do not speak German. Bad idea. Our largest American manufacturer of motorcycles prefers to use names like "Fat Boy" and "Wide Glide" and "Heritage Softtail" - and they sell a ton of those to good 'ol boys. Those are names any country boy can relate to.

What did they think was wrong with "Skywave", which they call the same scooters in Japan? Not a bad name at all - better than "Burgman" for goodness sakes.

Now Honda couldn't think up a new name for their scooter, so they reused a name that had originally been used for a nice little v-twin motorcycle that they had marketed for awhile. Silverwing. Not too imaginative, but it works. Works way better than Burgman.

Suzuki marketed a British style 650cc vertical twin for a while. I owned one. They called it the "Tempter". It was a pretty bike too, and fun to ride. So following Honda's lead, they could have used "Tempter" for the scooter line in the USA. And I say they should have.

Tempter 650
Tempter 400

The "Temptress" - much more enticing than "Burger King".

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Randy said:
...The god (or was he a massager for the gods) in mythology that had wings on his feet ...........
Someone help me out here....
The messenger of the Roman gods was Mercury; however that name is already in use by FoMoCo.

The Greek version was Hermes.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I am thinking of calling my 400 Why Not!! I answer to the question ( why in the hell did you buy that0) works for me Dewight

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmmmmm.

In deference to Norman, how about ST 650L

Suzuki Sport Touring 650 Lardy

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
A name ? Depends on what you are going for and, using previously used names should be ok too

Want Fast ? You could go with "Comet", "Mach I", "Sonic" and others

Want Luxury ? You could call it "Glide" , or "Splendor"

Utility ? "US" (= Utility Scooter), "Motion", or lots of other things.

Whoever posted above about the Japanese company using German names to sell to Americans was right on. What's up with that ? LOL

·
Registered
239 Posts
I call mine "Surprise" because that's what I feel every time I ride it and what every sport bike rider probably feels when I pass by! I think the name says it all!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I've become used to everyone calling my 400 "That Thing"... as in, "What IS That Thing?", or, "You're riding with us on THAT THING???"... and (after the ride), "Hey, THAT THING really looked good in those sweepers!"
... Can't be worse than "Burgman" :?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Presto is terrific. Use that on the the 400 and less. I still kinda like Moby for the lardy. :D

Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hermes was the Greek god of land transportation. I dunno, though, something unpleasant about the word "hermes."

I kind of like Burgman, especially in regards to the above-mentioned "man about town" reference. Besides, if people have to ask why they call it a Burgman, we can tell them that they wouldn't understand unless they ride one. :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts