Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Here's a wacky question... I'd like nothing more than to add a two-wheeled dog kennel as a trailer to my Burgman 400. I imagine it would be very light, so I'd think the 400 would handle it. But how, and from where? anyone ever heard of a towing kennel? All the trailers I've seen are enclosed, so no room for the mutt. (Alternately, if anyone knows how to train a border collie to ride tandem, that would probably suffice as well, but a kennel sounds less risky, you know?)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
There are trailers made just to carry your dog. A search on google should give you plenty of choices. I've also seen dog carriers that strap onto the passenger seat of a bike. Depends on how much you want to spend on the porta-kennel.

Here's one little trailer that would be easy to adapt. Just take the tonneu cover off and use a leash to keep the dog in while moving. See the Speedster at the bottom of this page :

http://motorcycletrailer.com/donkey/index.html

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I used to carry my very little dog (part toy poodle, part scottish terrior) on the seat in front of me, hooked by a short leash to a d-ring on the safety vest front I would wear. Of coure the dog was very well behaved and loved to ride, and so small that it could in no way affect my balance. I have seen something like child-carrying backpacks with small dogs in them. I had a friend once whose middle-sized dog would jump up on his pinion seat and ride there, defying all laws of physics to stay put.

How big is your dog?

Dave B.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's about 30 pounds, and a very hyper terrier / border collie mix. Too big to stick in a pack, and too hyper to trust on the seat. The trailer might work, though. So how do I add a hitch to a 400? All the threads I've seen here so far address the 650. Is there a difference?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'm sure there's enough difference between the 650 and 400 to where something new would have to be rigged for the 400. You'd need to find someone that has done custom hitches before and have them build it up. There's a guy in East TN (Joe Wolfe) that has done hidden hitches on a few different scooters before. You might be able to find someone in your area.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Back when I had my Aero 80, I had a hyper Spitz/Border Collie mix. I started her out on the running boards while putting about in the yard, and moved her later to the seat, in front of me. We didn't ride together often, I never lost my apprehensiveness about it, but she loved it, and would ride any time I allowed it.

Steve

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, I just saw the shots in the gallery for the Texas Sidecar. Will one of those things fit a 400? How would it affect the power / handling / turning / stability, etc? It seems better than a trailer, since I wouldn't have to blow exhaust at my dog all day. Also, my wife could stretch her legs on long rides. Would it make it more stable in wind at high speeds, or less?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Adding a sidecar will totally change the handling characteristics of your scooter (or any motorcycle for that matter). You would probably want to do some reading about riding techniques with sidecars before deciding to add one. From the perspective of power, I think you would be much better off putting a sidecar on a 650. I have not seen a sidecar mounted to a 400, but if you contact Texas Sidecar I am sure they could answer you questions.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the links for both the Texas Sidecar and the ARMEC. As you probably already know, ARMEC wants $25 just to give a price quote. They do, however, offer a car specifically for the Burgman 400. Texas Sidecar is upfront with their pricing, at least. $2795 for a standard that will fit a Burgman. The power issue is one of my concerns. I love my 400, but it's no Hog. Especially since I would need to have a car (or trailer) for the dog and ride pinion with my wife, it may be more than the thing can handle at highway speeds. $2800 is alot to accomodate a dog, as well.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Just for fun, why not look for some skates the dog can wear. Then just keep him on a leash hooked to the scooter? :wink:

In all seriousness, I used to have a large german shepherd/black lab mix, and the best way to exercise him was to let him loose and he would follow me on my scooter. Of course there were no leash laws then and I lived at the very edge of town. We'd run about 1 mile up the road where I'd turn down a gravel road. Another 1/2 mile and I'd pull the scooter over and park it. There was a farm pond 1/4 mile off the road and the dog would race me over there. He'd go swimming and I'd watch. I'd meander back to the scooter, and when I figured he'd had enough fun I'd give the horn a beep. He'd come running and follow me back to the house.

Dam I miss that dog. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts